WK-7500 no usb midi output form keys or pedal

I have been using my WK-7500 as a controller for VB3 (with the aid of a Korg Nanocontroller) with an Asus netbook for the last month in my studio and it has been working perfectly. I decided to move the set up to our band's practice space last night and it would not fit in the transport case with the usb cable connected on the back of the WK so I only disconnected that from my midi set up. When I got to band practice, I replugged the USB cable in the back, turned on the WK, went to Function/Midi/ Enter/ Local Control Off as I had been doing, turned on the netbook/Cantabile Lite/VB3, and the Nano Controller would control VB3 but the WK's keys and pedal would not work.

When I went to Cantabile's midi setup panel it said the Casio Midi input was "disconnected." I tried another USB cable that I tested with another keyboard and found working properly but same problem. I tried my Ipad with Igrand and it would not recognize that either. Same thing with my fullsized laptop They all used to work with the WK and Midi aps. my other keyboards work fine with Cantabile Lite/VB3 and Igrand.

For some reason the WK-7500 won't ouput USB midi. When I got it back home Cantabile did not even list it anymore in its Midi setup menu. I don't think I bent the midi input jack as all seems solid and secure. It does not wiggle anymore than my other boards' usb inputs. Is there something I need to reset to get the midi output back or would I have to return the WK to its original settings by re initializing it?  (which would lose my custom user drawbar settings-not sure if the sd card can save those-gotta look that up)

Thanks

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Bob - I saw you in KC but thought I would post here in case it can help others.Hi Bob - Give this a try:

Go to your device manger
Double click on Universal Serial Bus Controller to expand
Find USB Root Hub (there may be more than one)
Right click and select properties
Click the power management tab
Unselect "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power"
Click OK
Repeat with any other USB Root Hubs listed

See if that works.

Bob

You may have put more stress than you thought on the USB connection during your initial "packing" attempt and damaged it.  It is the outer shell of the connector that provides the "tightness" you describe, so as long as the outer shell is not damaged, you will not notice any looseness or "sloppy" fit, but it is possible to damage the internal electrical connections without necessarily damaging the outer shell.  Try to inspect the internals of the connection with a flashlight to see if anything appears misaligned.  There should not be anything floating around loose in there.  If you had ripped the soldered connections loose from the circuit board, then I think you would notice that, as it is normally those connections that physically locate the connector within the case.

Good luck !

Ted,

I checked inside the USB jack with a flash light and everything is intact. Nothing broken or lose. When i grasp the middle prong with small needle nose pliers (not touching contacts of course) it does not move. The whole assembly does move a tiny bit back and forth and up and down but I think it was always that way. Although the USB connector on my Yamaha seems more stable.

I did have a DC power jack break loose from its solder joint to the PCB in my MZ-2000 just from normal use.  Although when it did there was a noticeable wobble in the jack.  So if your jack feels normal then it's probably not a physical issue.  I'm guessing it's something real simple in a menu somewhere.  It's just finding that.    The initialize function should have cured any issues on the keyboard end of it.  Are you running Windows on your ASUS netbook?   Does the mouse pointer change when you unplug and re-plug the USB cable from the CASIO?  For me, on the PX5, if I unplug the USB cable the mouse pointer shows the busy circle for an instant.  This could be a clue for you.

Thanks Brad and Ted,

Yes, I'm running Windows 7 on both computers. I'll check the mouse pointer today. Also I'm going to check the USB jack with a multi meter as I think it is supposed have a 5 v dc signal to carry the midi code when the keyboard is on.

Never mind. I just checked the manual and it should be MIDI enabled by default.

One other thing to try is swapping cables. Cables do occasionally go bad for no reason.

Otherwise, even if you do see a +5V on the USB port it could still be a blown USB driver chip.

Try a different port on the computer to eliminate the computer as the culprit.

If all that fails, then haul it in for service. It should still be covered by warranty if you registered it with Casio. They warrant their keyboards for three years if you register them.

Unplugging the Nano control from my computer usb port produces a noise and the mouse pointer changes. Unplugging the Casio does nothing.

I already tried all 3 ports with no dice. I already tried swapping cables and swapping computers with the WK, neither my Ipad, Asus or full sized Toshiba lab top will work with it but they will work with VB3/Cantabile and  my Yamaha. Both cables work fine with my Yammy as well. I tried Intializing 3 times and also reset the defaults on the WK to original. My multimeter indicates a  3-4 V out put on the WK's USB port. The problem has to be with the keyboard. Pretty sure I did register this with Casio so I guess I'll have to find an authorized Casio repair center in Central MA.

BTW all cables were disconnected when it was transported as it would not have fit the case connected....but definitely good advice!

Use an Ohmmeter to check if the pedal is functioning properly before blaming the keyboard. Pedal open should be infinity and pedal closed should be less than 1 ohm.

Pedals are mechanical devices and more prone to failure.

I can't get a consistent reading with my multimeter's ohm setting which I put on lowest and placed the positive red pin on the tip and the neg on the sleeve of the 1/4" pin. Same thing when I test my Yamaha pedal. I have had a hard time getting very low readings on anything with this multimeter.

Now the pedal I have been using for the Casio is working in reverse. Sustain is on constantly until I depress the pedal. It seems to have somehow reversed its polarity.

Yes,  Yamaha pedals are reverse from Casio pedals.  It's normal.  If you use the Yamaha pedal on the Casio, "no sustain" would be achieved by depressing the pedal and "sustain" by letting go. 

The PX-5S auto detects the polarity of the pedal when you power on the unit.  If you have a Yamaha pedal plugged in while you power on and then change out to a Casio pedal without rebooting it the operation will be reverse.  I don't think the WK-7500 does this.

Firstly you don't need to use the minimum range of the ohmmeter to read a switch. Set the meter to the 1000 ohm range and that should tell you well enough if it's 0 or infinite for your purposes.

Secondly, check the bottom and the sides of the pedal for a hidden polarity switch. It could have accidentally been reversed or been switched to the middle which would give an indeterminate reading.

Who knows? A flaky pedal could cause all sorts of potential problems with the WK. It's conceivable even that your MIDI starts to work again.

Gary

There is no polarity switch on this pedal and it is not a Yamaha pedal. It always worked fine with the WK until that board's recent midi problems. Rebooting the keyboard with it plugged in did nothing. Actually I have no idea where I got this pedal from and what brand it is. It is just a small square pedal and says "made in Italy" on the bottom. The top label is missing. It or the WK output seems to have reversed polarity. All my other boards are Yamahas so I can't really check it with another Casio. (Actually though, our guitar player has a 3700 so I guess I'll have him try it) When VB3 was working with the WK, I did try to assign the pedal to the VB3 OD switch so I could kick in some distortion while playing with 2 hands but that did not work. I may have reversed the polarity on the pedal on VB3 as well when I did that but I then reset the pedal in VB3 back to the Leslie switch with normal polarity. Everything re. midi on the WK was working fine at that point.

With Mike's help, the WK will be going out to Casio customer service next week anyway.

The short answer is that it simply can't. Either it was always that way and you were somehow mistaken or else there IS a hidden polarity switch on there somewhere that somehow got switched over. Unless you believe in leprechauns those are the only two plausible explanations. ;)