Video Files on Forum ×

Fist post, and new P1 owner...

Joe Gerardi

Hi all. New user here, but not new to Casio. I've owned and loved a CZ-1 and VZ10m. But I've been intruiged with the P1, so I pulled the trigger and bought an open-box XW-P1 on eBay. Arrived yesterday. I must say, it is an amazing-sounding synth. The most interesting thing is how BIG it sounds. It harkens back to the days of Minimoogs and Arp 2600s (how I miss mine!) in how it stands out. I've always felt that's been something missing in all the ROMplers out there- they're so busy getting the resolution up that they completely forget about the Dynamic Range...

The Drawbar Section is usable. That's a compliment. It's not going to make Hammond Suzuki nervous, but for a background organ sound, it will work well. The PCM section pretty much, is much of a sameness: everything is okay and usable, nothing is exciting. It's only when these sections are all combined in a Hex Layer that it all comes together.

Is it a be-all and end-all synth? Frankly, no. It suffers from the same problems most synths today (except the really high-end synths) do: terrible keybeds. Now, I wouldn't expect Aftertouch in a $500.00 keyboard, (paid only 250 for mine!) but they way they CLUNK when they bottom out is distressing. When I can hear the action over the sounds coming out of the speakers, it's a sure sign that they're cutting corners. (I'm sorely tempted to open it up and glue a felt strip along the bottom of the case, warranty be damned. It's really that irritating.)

I have almost no use for the Phrase Sequencer or Step Sequencer, but I can see that I'll be spending an awful lot of time with the Solo Synth and Hex Layer sections of this 'board.

If it's a sales hit, I hope Casio makes a bigger, expanded version. I would like to see one with 128 Polyphony, a stronger/2nd Microprocessor so that some DSP changes don't require a key press to hear the results, some better (read: larger) PCM samples of the bread-and-butter sounds, and finally, a decent keybed with aftertouch in a slightly sturdier case overall. (The knobs do NOT foster confidence in their build strength.) Making it in a 76-key configuration would have me drooling rather heavily and lining up to get one. One thing I hope they DON'T try to do is make it a "workstation" out of it: keep it a performance synth. What they have works, it fills a niche not really being served by any other synth maker, and trying to compete with the Big 3 in the workstation market will kill it faster than cyanide.

Mostly, they need to keep the BIG in it.

..Joe

Hi Joe, welcome to xw-p1 ownership and the forum. I too fell for the xw-p1 for its analog synth sound (mono) or (poly) . Hex layer and solo synth is where I get most of the analog mojo. I use my xw-p1 in my home recording studio, and after about a month of learning the xw-p1 and recording with it I forgave it its many flaws, cause for me at the end of the day this synth is still amazing.  Theres just something really good about the sound engine.         PS,    I have found if I use the xw-p1 with external stereo  midi controled fx , the skys the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to picking up an 'ex-demo' XW-P1 tomorrow at a very good UK price.

It's main roll will to be permanently setup in our rehearsal studio, and I will slowly try to replicate the voices and performances on my Motif XF, to save lugging that back and forth.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be pleasantly surprised by what the XW will offer.

No, I don't think you will...

You're not going to get those sounds of the XF on the XW- it's not that kind of synth. The Hammond is usable, not a standalone clone. The Motif series excel at acoustic instruments; the XW is more a synth-type synth :D (as opposed to something that emulates other instruments); and its strength lies in doing exactly that. 

My sense is that it's a complimentary synth in the arsenal- it's fantastic as a second (or 3rd) synth in the stack, and brings its own special color to the stack, but as the core, base bread-and-butter synth, I think it will fall short. I love mine already, but only for what I'm asking of it. That's why there's all the other synths in the arsenal. Hell, there's even things my old Kurzweill K2500 can do that my Kronos can't (and I wouldn't expect it to) which is why I have both.

Does that mean it's not a viable solution? Absolutely not- I think you'll love what it's capable of doing. I just don't think it's capable of doing what you want it to...

..Joe

Thanks  Joe

I've only spent a few hours on it, so very early days, but I suspect you are correct.  It doesn't actually have to replicate the XF, as this is currently done by a Roland XP30 with some vintage synth and organ expansion.

As a minimum task, it only has to replicate what my electro 3 does, and I've already tweaked a few organ sound that are more than adequate for rehearsal purposes, and I've also set up a  nice leads synth sound that is better than those on the XP-30.

If I can work up a nice meaty synth or hybrid brass sound and a bit better clav, then I will be very happy.

That said I already know that for what I paid, it was worth it and look forward to getting to grips with it.

Many thanks, Kevan