So I hinted at this a little while ago, it is a little closer to being real.  I'm still going to be vague for a little about it because we're still working with the app developer but this completely changes the XW's Solo Synth in my opinion.  The types of sounds you can get in just moments and in real-time is quite remarkable, so this is both a performance and editing tool for the Solo Synth.   It also gives the XW-P1 the ability to manipulate the the Solo Synth the way the XW-G1 does and more.  It works identically on the XW-G1.   More details asap.

img_7284.jpg

• Like 4

I'm really excited about this. Even for those of you without iPads there will be a benefit. The ease and speed that we can create new and interesting sounds from the XW's Solo Synth is remarkable. We will get some video of this at Summer NAMM next week.

If this will work with my laptop im going to crap myself.

No it won't.  Currently this is iPad specific. 

The reality is I'm just duplicating the Mac/PC editor functionality in a different way.  Because it is a touch surface and not something that requires a mouse it is easier to "perform" changes to the sound in real-time. 

In theory something similar is possible on a Windows 8 tablet in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Mike, you mentioned that there will be a benefit for us, without iPads. Can you be more specific? Will it be some kind of PC software or maybe some kind of hardware? 

Personally, I would like to see a Casio-made controller similar to this:

BCR2000_P0245_RightPerspective_web-300x2:)

The benefit for those of you without iPads is that the application makes it so easy to create Solo Synth sounds that I don't know that I would have come up with using the editor or the front panel.  It is fast and easy.  That means more free sounds for you.  

The other upside is the amount of time I've put in learning about the MIDI implementation on the XW-series.  There are some other things that I believe are possible from the knobs using NRPNs that I didn't realize were possible before.  So we'll be exploiting these features in new Sounds/Performances as well.

• Like 1

Assigning NRPNs to the knobs works great.  Just watch out if using the step sequencer to control them -- try to avoid using smoothing.  Seems to make the poor XW-P1 slow way down. 

Several months ago I posted an example of using NRPNs to control the waveform of a solo synth sound and posted a clip:

https://soundcloud.com/hypnotuba/casio-xw-p1-nrpn-demo-001

I just made a couple more very quick and rough demos of using NRPNs assigned to knobs, controlled by the step sequencer.  There are much better things that can be done than these demos, but again, they are just quick demos.  One is similar to the one I posted a while back:

https://soundcloud.com/hypnotuba/casio-xw-p1-solo-synth

The other is using NRPNs to control the levels of Hex Layer...layers:.

https://soundcloud.com/hypnotuba/casio-xw-p1-hex-layer-nrpn

Explanations included in the descriptions.  Sorry if I was unclear in them, I am half-asleep.  :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just an update.  The app is in its final beta stage.  We're just finalizing a few appearance items, settings defaults for knobs and sliders and some final testing.   I think it will be off to the app store store in a few days.

As I said previously, the app completely changes the XW's Solo Synth for me.  The layout provides some performance and editing capabilities that are really amazing.  The team that created MIDI Designer has been working closely with us really make the most of it.  

What about equalizing the XW synth will the app do the high,mid and low to, I know the XW does it but I want to edit a tad faster. 

Currently no.  The App focuses strictly on the Solo Synth and its parameters.  Technically the EQ falls under the Performance mode.  I'll look into it though.   I'll attach some screen shots asap.

• Like 1

That's very interesting! The first picture shows controls for a Total Amp. I thought I knew the solos synth parameters pretty well but I never knew that there was a (virtual) amplifier with envelope control after the Total Filter. Mike, can you shed some light on this?