Casio Privia PX-320 - challenges in using as MIDI controller

BobG

I bought my Casio Privia PX-320 keyboard several years ago and one of the goals was to use it as a controller - but I have been frustrated because of MIDI+USB driver issues related to my Lenovo laptop; and apparently there are issues in using this with my new iPad* - does anyone have suggestions?  Thanks much

* On Keyboard Forums, someonw wrote:

Connecting a Casio keyboard to an iPad requires one of the newer keyboards produced in the last 12 to 18 months or so: ...That is to say, the keyboard must be a Class Compliant or Core MIDI (Apple) compatible device that DOES NOT REQUIRE a device specific Operating System Driver.

• Like 3

I don't own a Privia but that apparently may not be true as the WK-7500 which was first produced at over 2 years ago is Class Compliant. Check this out:

I heard of problems with the Ipad 1 with keyboard controllers but not the new ones.

I borrowed this from a recent post by Scott Hamlin to me to see if the issue is in your laptop:

Go to your device manager
Double click on Universal Serial Bus Controller to expand
Find USB Root Hub (there may be more than one)
Right click and select properties
Click the power management tab (you may have to go to "change settings")

Unselect "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power"
Click OK
Repeat with any other USB Root Hubs listed

Hope it helps

Bob

Hi guys,

I did some research. The PX-320 is much older than the WK-7500 and was made before Casio changed to the class compliant system.  It requires a driver and unfortunately no Casio driver supports Apple products.  

The PX-320 was originally bundled with a CD that contained a driver.  That driver only supported these OS:  Windows® 98 / 98SE / Me / 2000 Professional / XP Home Edition / XP Professional.  For more info check this page..  http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/emi/past/privia/px320.html

What OS is running on your Lenovo?  There are newer drivers available for newer versions of Windows here. http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=340&rgn=1

Thanks for all the info, the Lenovo is running Windows 7 and last time I checked with Casio - well over a year I think - they did not have a driver for this.

I think the problem was the drivers they did have were for 16 bit operating systems and MS Windows 7 is 32 bit.

I am kind of assuming that I am SOL for this and for iPad but will check back and see if they have updated drivers for these OSes.

Guess the next bet is to get a cheap controller and just use the 320 for the canned voices it comes with.

Actually you might still be in luck.

Windows 7 has something called "compatibility mode" and I have had great success running older programs under it.

I think you have to right click on the icon and select compatibility mode when you run the install.

I'm still running a 15 year old copy of cakewalk written for Win 98 under compatibility mode on a 64 bit Win 7 machine these days.

Gary

I'd try this first.   This is the latest driver for Windows.  It should work for you.

From the Casio Support Page:

• Supported operating systems:      Windows Vista® (32-bit)/®7(32-bit)/®8(32-bit)   Driver Download: CCMID12_INST.zip(272KB)   btn_dl.gif   line_05px.gif

Here's the entire page:  

http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=340&rgn=1

Bob

I posted the info about Class Compliance and Core MIDI Compatibility in response to the post you made there regarding this issue.  I have since posted the following info over there.  Apparently you have not seen it there, so I will repost it here:

So far, all of the manuals I have checked for the Casio units, that I know for certain, are iPad compatible, make no reference to downloading and installing any USB-MIDI drivers, as they are not needed. Those units are compatible with the generic drivers that have been built-in to MAC-OS for the last several versions and Windows since XP Service Pack 2. Sadly, for you, the PX-320 manual gives instructions on Pages 38 and 39 for downloading and installing USB-MIDI drivers. This would indicate that the PX-320, for some reason, is NOT compatible with the generic "built-in" drivers, and therefore is NOT "fully class compliant" and in turn, is NOT iPad compatible (iOS uses the same built-in generic driver as MAC-OS). However, there should be no reason that you can not get the PX-320 to work with your Lenovo. If you are having driver installation issues, you are most likely running into 32-bit vs 64-bit issues. Check the operating system on your Lenovo to see if it is 32 or 64 bit and make certain you are downloading the correct driver (32 or 64 bit) as well as for the correct version of Windows. The bit depth of the drivers MUST match the bit depth of the operating systems. You can not "run" drivers in Compatibility Mode. You can download drivers from: http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=340&rgn=1

Most Casio keyboards require you to switch manually between 5-pin DIN MIDI mode and USB mode, but the PX-320 switches automatically to USB mode when you connect to a PC running the correct drivers. Page 39 of the manual explains how to check this.

Best of luck with this !

• 4 weeks later...

Lenovo worked!! So thanks much.

Still have not given up on connecting the Privia to my iPad 4.  I contacted Casio tech support and they confirmed that I can't go in through the MIDI -USB as it is not MIDI class compliant; they suggested finding a way to connect from 5 pin MIDI port to the Casio - not sure how to do this, saw Line6 MIDI Mobleizer, wonder if anyone is familiar with it and it works for this purpose.

Thanks

• 9 years later...

Yes, I know it's 10 years now, but I just moved my px-320 to my new DAW basement studio and want to use it as a MIDI controller. From what I can gather, the included CD-ROM is useless as Windows 10 doesn't support it. I have two different cables I got from Amazon, 1) USB B to USB C, and 2) IN&OUT 5-pin DIN MIDI to USB A. I haven't tried either yet, because I want to be sure what would work.

Is it possible to get a Windows 10 64-bit driver for the USB B to USB C cable?

Or would the IN&OUT 5-pin DIN MIDI to USB A cable be Plug&Play, no driver necessary?

And if both connections are possible, which would be better?

Windows maintains backwards compatibility with many older drivers, so you can try installing the latest one compatible with your Casio.  It will probably work.  This Casio 64 bit driver should work with Windows 10 or 11 for the PX-320. 

A brand name MIDI to USB adapter cable can work well too.  Most of them are plug-and-play these days.  The MIDI port to USB adapter has the added benefit of eliminating possible ground loop noise on some computers, if that becomes a problem with your setup.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1