Problems with the quality of recording.

Hello:

Before recording a song I prepare volume levels, so that everything is well. But to listen to the recording you hear different. Some parts are heard to be higher than others.

The computer is not ready for musical quality. The PC is basic, home. These are the characteristics of the computer:

AMD ATHLON II X3 440 PROCESSOR (3 CPUs), 3 GHz, 4.0 GB RAM

WINDOS 7 HOME PREMIUM 32-BIT SP1

Sound card:

REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

Can you help me choose a simple, basic card? Please. What you recommend for a beginner? The song took a CASIO XW-P1 and Audacity. When I heard it I was amazed at the difference in quality. Very different than when played.

Thank you.

I don't think you need a new sound card for what your doing.  I have used the Realtek High Definition Audio sound card.    It sounds great.   I suspect your sample rate was set very low.  Make sure Audacity is set for 44.1hz.    Menu>Edit>preferences>quality>default sample rate>44000hz

David,

I ran your sample through a spectrum analyzer.   I'm fairly certain that Audacity is the cause of the sound that your not happy with.  The recording has no audio data over 8,000 Hz.

Here's why.

Audacity's default "Record" sample rate is set to one of the lower rates.  My guess is it's set to 16,000Hz. That prevents Audacity from recording the higher frequencies of sound.    Change the default to 44,100 Hz.  This will allow Audacity to record the full range of sound.

The equipment you suggest:

I would add a mixer only if I needed to record more inputs at one time or needed a quality microphone preamp. 

I wouldn't buy the U-control.  The Realtek Soundcard already performs the analog to digital conversion well enough for a starter studio.

• Like 1

Before you run out and buy any gear, I have a few questions.

1) Did you play back the recording and play through the instrument through the same amp and speakers? If not there's a very good chance that the differences you are hearing are due to that difference.

2) It's been a while since I used audacity but if there are equalizer settings either in the program or in your audio mixer app did you try tweaking those settings a bit?

Don't get me wrong, a good mixer is worth having but in my case I only use it to patch multiple instruments through to a single easy to control output. I also do my recording by feeding the monitor out from that mixer to a Realtek PC audio card. No major problems there.

Anyway, if you do buy a mixer I'd suggest looking toward the future and getting the 12 channel Behringer 1202FX which has a hundred cool DSP effects built in and offers 6 stereo channels input, which is enough to work with a small band or combo. If you shop around they can be had for about $100.

Gary

A couple more suggestions after listening to the track more closely.

1) If you are recording these using a MIDI sequencing program like Sonar or Reaper you can set the MIDI volume level for each track/instrument individually until you get a mix that sounds right.

2)You can also set the track volumes for each MIDI channel/instrument on the XW-P1 using the mixer function built into the keyboard.

Gary

Hello:

The problem is that the frequency of the project is low. I have increased the frequency and the music sounds better. When I was recording I listened through headphones. And then I listened on loudspeakers. I used the red input, I did not use the blue connection.

Thank you very much.

Hi guys,  

The Pink Microphone input can be used for line level sources.  I do it all the time with no trouble.   The trick is you must disable "Microphone Boost"  on the Realtek HD Audio Manager.  This allows the mic input to act as a line input.  As with any audio input you must be careful not to overdrive it and in turn it does not overdrive your DAW software.   Another problematic feature in the Realtek HD Audio Manager is "Loundness Equalization" on the sound effects tab.  Make sure that is disabled as well.   

I was once also trying to record music from my P1 to computer. The sound quality was ok, but there was a noticeable lag between the key being pressed and the sound output. Any help?

Were you recording audio or MIDI control signals in a sequencer/DAW like anvil studio? Latency is not usually a problem with audio recording.

A few tips for improving latency in Windows include making certain your machine is not overloaded. Check program manager with CTRL-ALT-DEL and take a look at what's running on your system. Get rid of any unnecessary garbage that's hogging the CPU cycles.

I'd be more helpful if I knew what version of Windows and the hardware specs of your computer.

Gary

Hi guys,  

The Pink Microphone input can be used for line level sources.  I do it all the time with no trouble.   The trick is you must disable "Microphone Boost"  on the Realtek HD Audio Manager.  This allows the mic input to act as a line input.  As with any audio input you must be careful not to overdrive it and in turn it does not overdrive your DAW software.   Another problematic feature in the Realtek HD Audio Manager is "Loundness Equalization" on the sound effects tab.  Make sure that is disabled as well.   

Just because you managed to get away with it doesn't make it right. The blue input is INTENDED for line level signals like stereo input or an electronic musical instrument.

Using the pink input you run the risk of blowing out the input, clipping by sending too high a signal level and it's probably equalized for optimal voice input, not musical signals.

The blue input is there for a reason. It's meant to be used.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I'm careful with it.  I was worried about the same thing you are when I first used it for that.  I was kinda forced too use it.  Dell shipped me a computer with a malfunctioning rear audio input.  Rather than fight with Dell, again, over having it repaired I decided I could live without it.  That's when I tried the front Mic input.   I discovered it works fine.  It seems pretty darn tough.

No problem Brad. If your rear audio line in jack is not working it's probably a $20-$40 repair at any qualified laptop repair shop. It's probably either a defective jack or a cracked solder joint on the jack connection to the PC board.

Something like that is literally a ten minute fix. If I were you I'd spend the coin and get it fixed.

Aside from the mic equalization problem I mentioned you also inject unwanted distortion in your keyboard output signal by running the signal at such low levels.

It's totally worthwhile to fix the problem and use the proper input for a music signal.

Thanks Gary,  but i'm good.  

The mic input on my Dell can record some pretty darn clean and noise free audio, thankfully.  It's able to handle a high level input from my keyboard without distorting so it gets above the noise floor easily.  There is some minor DC offset that's only evident by zooming into a recorded waveform but it's easily removed with a high pass filter.   I'm happy with it.  

I would fix the rear audio input myself, but I don't worry about it because I really don't need it.   If the front mic input ever does go out that's when I will buy a quality audio interface.  

Pssst.... I've secretly been hoping the front Mic input does go out so it will give me an excuse to buy an audio interface but it won't die.  :)

Pc mainboard sound input are pretty crude for recording its nice to use it for a multimedia mic and headphone but it doesn't cut it very well. 

I've chosen for a Roland digital recorder Micro BR connected to a mixer, For my Pc I've chosen for the  0404 soundcard it has unbalanced input and output channels pretty much anything I need. There are more specialized audio interfaces for recording for the Pc with

higher sample rates it all depends if you want an usb or card type, personally I opt more for such an solution then the standard sound card of an PC.

Agreed. I forgo the onboard sound and still use my old,old E-Mu APS. With it's built-in 16-bit sampler, ability to use Soundfonts (this is the card that soundfonts were created for) and awesome specs, I just can't seem to get rid of it. It's getting harder and harder to find motherboards it will fit in, but as long as it works and as long as I can get it in the PC, it's staying,

The recording is the culmination of all your hard work. Don't let the final output be degraded by one inferior link in the sound chain.

..Joe

I use Audicity, and I installed ASIO4ALL. But only one speaker is working when playing. I adjusted the balance in control panel, but still only one speaker working. And there is still a small lag when playing. 

And there is still a small lag when playing. 

:) Hello:

I give you a tip:

You close running programs that you don't use. And you get the computer cleaning (event viewer - Windows Logs - empty registry - delete). You can use CCleaner for having the "orderly" computer.

I use Audicity, and I installed ASIO4ALL. But only one speaker is working when playing. I adjusted the balance in control panel, but still only one speaker working. And there is still a small lag when playing. 

It might sound stupid but check your computer plug for the speakers and make certain it's fully plugged in.

I've had that happen to me once on a laptop.

Now I'm listening to some youtube music and both speakers are working, as allways. Just when I play my P1, then only the left one is working. I use an adapter to merge my two 1/4 cables into one 3.5 mm. I tried to pull one out and left the other in, (and vice-versa) but the result is always the same.  

I will download the CCleaner, that is a good advice  :) .

I would really need a detailed tutorial on sound recording from my synth to my PC, with all the hardware and software  :unsure: .

The lag can be due to the wrong Asio settings sample rate can be to high then your computer can handle or other asio related stuff, Have you tried to update your sound drivers, most computers have Realtek chipsets in them.