NRPNs in Hex Layer mode

Nextname

Hello!

I actually posted about this on Harmony Central a while back, but this seems like a better place to address it, so...I'm just going to copy and paste my post from there because I am lazy. :)

I was trying to record slider movements into Sonar 8.5 while in hex layer mode, and the NRPN data is...unusual. :)

hexnrpn001.png

This picture shows the data from moving the nine sliders in hex layer mode. I moved them all from the bottom to the top, but you can see the first six sliders (individual layer levels) put out data that starts in the middle and then wraps around. This is a problem while the XW-P1 is in local off mode and receiving the data from the computer because the levels of the layers become unusable, as a volume of 0 ends up being in the middle of the slider's movement.

I hope I am not overexplaining this. The sliders work fine in solo synth and drawbar organ modes. I should add that controlling the levels in a hex tone locally work fine, it's just the MIDI data the sliders send is messed up. And I think it behaves the same whether sending over USB or the 5-pin MIDI port.

Is this a known issue or is it something that could be addressed in a firmware update? Or am I just doing something wrong? Oh, and if it matters, I have a gold XW.

Thanks for any help!

Hello

I have the same problem.

In Hex Layer mode values of fader 1 to 6 set the volume of the layer from 0 (cursor near to you) to 127 (cursor far to you).

But the display show value -128 to 0 to +128 and the transmit midi data (CC#6) varies from 64 to 127 then 0 to 63.

So if you record these movements from a daw, when you play your record the volume of the layer is set to 0 when the corresponding cursor postion is exactly in the middle.

As an other example,, and for the same reasons, the effect of these cursors is different if you play with 'local control on' on XW and 'thru off 'on a daw,

and if you play wiyh 'local control off' on XW with 'thru on' on a daw.

This is inconsistent.

(Sorry for my very poor english).