10 bit sampling?

Patrick Arend

I've read about Akai mpc sampler which is very popular one odd thing I found about it while it is a sampler most pro user made their samples on a computer and then imported it to the mpc I thought that strange.

I was reluctant to buy the G1 also cause of the I think its 12 bits. But the thing is you can import better quality samples into the G1. The thing that convince me to purchase the synth was this article http://www.emusician.com/eq-mag/0765/casio-xw-g1-synthesizer/149555 I knew it was okay then cause of the controller capabilities of the P1 and G1.

It can fully automate through midi with other device samplers, synth and software like Ableton , Music creator , Cubase. I wanted an Korg Kronos which support multiple sampling high bitrate etc but I cant afford it :).

Casio G1 is a true Groove synth affordable. My gig now is I want key's big key creative freedom less to carry around just a few things that worked out for me, the only limitation would be my own creativity. True there are stuff I wish that was their like time-stretching , warping. Real-time switching between looper banks I'm still discovering  . But this was my reason to purchase this synth :)

I have a hard time believing Casio would think that 10 bits is sufficient for the A/D input to a sampler that can handle 16. Ten bits would sound definitely low fi and there would be no excuse for that with the ultra-low cost nowadays of 16-bit ADCs. I hope that the 10 bit spec applies only to the sixth oscillator of the solo synth. Hopefully Mike can set the record straight. I can see how this would impact sales if it were true.

It looks like the 10 bit sampling only applies to the mic input a/d converter - the sample looper is 16 bits. I plan on sampling a bunch of my older synths into my PC and then putting them on SD for playback on the G1. Will let you know how it goes and will be uploading a lot of loops and effects to the library!  :)

It looks like the 10 bit sampling only applies to the mic input a/d converter - the sample looper is 16 bits. I plan on sampling a bunch of my older synths into my PC and then putting them on SD for playback on the G1. Will let you know how it goes and will be uploading a lot of loops and effects to the library!  :)

This is correct.  The real advantage of the XW-G1 is being able to LOAD samples.  In the clinic the other night I used some kicks and other sounds that are now posted here for download. 

The architecture of the XW-G1 also allows you to use any sampled sounds in drum kits and also within the Solo Synth which opens up some interesting possibilities. 

As for the audio input on the back, the 10 bit spec is correct.  It isn't an issue of the physical jack on the back or the A/D converter on that jack.  It is an issue of the LSI that drives the XW series. 

As for the audio input on the back, the 10 bit spec is correct.  It isn't an issue of the physical jack on the back or the A/D converter on that jack.  It is an issue of the LSI that drives the XW series. 

Thank you. As far as I can tell this is first time on any public forum that you have stated this as a fact. I believe I have read everything that is online about the XW products multiple times and this is the first direct statement about this that I can recall seeing. I did see in one or maybe two forums where you said you would check with the factory about that spec (saying in one you thought it might not be correct) but there wasn't a follow up in the same thread. It's still possible that I missed such a statement but if it's out there it isn't easy to find.  

Personally, that spec doesn't bother me since I have a P1 and the mic/instrument input for that is only used by the sixth oscillator of the solo synth where high fidelity is not really a requisite. But if I were in the market for a sampler I'd certainly care. Obviously, this won't be a problem on the XW's successor.

PS. It seems I was too quick to claim that the mic/instrument input is ONLY used by the sixth oscillator of the solo synth on the P1. I forgot that it also goes into the mixer as the 17th part. So if I had any ideas about feeding another synthesizer into the instrument input and using the P1's effects on it, I better not expect high fidelity results. Good thing I had no such idea. ;)

NOW I know why there is a noise gate on the external input part. When no signal is present you would definitely here a slight hiss if it wasn't gated.

• 5 years later...

Hi Mike, could you confirm that models XW-G1 and XW-P1 has a line in/mic in 10 bit sampling a/d converter and no more?

or as least the XW-P1 has a 16 bit one?

if not is there any other keyboard workstation with a better quality regarding that having if not the same, really similar features as looping sequencing....

thanks in advance

47 minutes ago, jojumusic said:

Hi Mike, could you confirm that models XW-G1 and XW-P1 has a line in/mic in 10 bit sampling a/d converter and no more?

or as least the XW-P1 has a 16 bit one?

if not is there any other keyboard workstation with a better quality regarding that having if not the same, really similar features as looping sequencing....

thanks in advance

XW-P1 does not have sampling.  No other Casio model has a similar sample looper to what's in the XW-G1.  MZ-X500 is the closest thing to an XW synth alternative, but it's a very different product from the XW synths, for a different customer.