Hi David. The XW-P1 is a performance synthesizer, but It does so much it's kind of tough to paint it with one color. It does have a drawbar organ mode and a MONSTER solo synth section that emulates some of vintage monophonic synths. It also has a step sequencer to build beats and riffs. It also has a very cool function called "hex layers" which lets you build sounds using SIX different sounds - I heard some amazing orchestral arrangements played on the XW-P1 at a NAMM show a few weeks back.

Check out YouTube for some demos of how it sounds and works...

http://www.youtube.com/results?gs_rn=20&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=casio+xw-1&pq=casio+xw-g1&cp=10&gs_id=1j&xhr=t&q=casio+xw-p1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49967636,d.eWU&biw=1440&bih=799&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1

• Like 1

Everything Scott just mentioned,  and the xw-p1 is the weirdest keyboard ive ever owned. I nick named it the ENIGMA.  I'ts the simplest keyboard I have ever owned, yet its also the most complex keyboard I have ever owned. It's capable of making some of the best sounds ever, and its capable of making some of the worst sounds ever. It's weak, and it's powerfull, It is not a workstation, yet you can craft songs on it.  It is not an analog synth, but it sound like one, (mono solo, or hex poly) .  It's casing is cheap plastic, but it is extremely resistant to rubs in the casing or paint rubbing off. The xw-p1 has its own sound, but it also sound's like other  synth's, and keyboard's. It  has flaws, yet theres a kind of perfection to it. The xw-p1 can sound hard as nail's, or soft as a feather pillow.    To  me , it is one of the  top 10 best  keyboards of all time.    

• Like 3

Thanks for clearing that up, Patrick. :D

The XW-P1 is a conundrum. A riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. It is by turns amazing and frustrating. Just the machine I need to pit myself again. It'll be either it or me left standing when the dust settles. Bwahaha...

• Like 1

Wow - my answered pales compared to Patrick's and Alen's!  :( 

I'm glad there is such passion for the XW's -- we have the same thing going with PX-5S as well. These "deep" boards need a strong community to wring out all the tricks and features. With the iPad apps, the new sounds and samples being released, there is a lot going on for these synths.

Glad to be part of the XW club!  :)

• Like 1

Hey Scott, I thought your description, and Allen's  was just as good as mine. I think  all us xw-p1,g1 and px5s owners have some pieces of casio's puzzle, its coming together.

• Like 2

A CASIO XW-P1, what is it really? A drawbar organ A piano? A synthesizer? :huh:

Yes.

Anything else I can help you with? :D

..Joe

• Like 1

Hello:

But... What is HYBRID PROCESSING SOUND SOURCE? :mellow: I was thinking about this deeply. Hybrid? :huh:

XW-P1 is so mysterious that makes it interesting. :)

The answers are very good and clever. ;)

Thank you very much.

Hi David, good question, in the four month's that I have owned the xw-p1 I have wondered about that same thing.Considering the whole synth is basically a cleverly inginered rompler. Perhaps it means what the synth sound's like and does. Like , rompler, analog synth, groovebox, performance synth, workstation.  Another part of the ENIGMA that is the XW-P1.

• Like 1

Hello:

But... What is HYBRID PROCESSING SOUND SOURCE? :mellow: I was thinking about this deeply. Hybrid? :huh:

XW-P1 is so mysterious that makes it interesting. :)

The answers are very good and clever. ;)

Thank you very much.

From Casio:

"The XW incorporates CASIO's newly developed Hybrid Processing sound engine, which fuses an LSI sound source with a high-performance CPU and DSP. The resulting varied tones cross the borders between genres. "

Think of it as a really souped-up car engine that has with a supercharger. 

The more I explore, the more I am learning the differences between the XW-P1 and XW-G1.. they are both very similar and both very different all at once... and adds to the mystique! 

• Like 1

I don't know why we always leave off the last part when we talk about it, but it is Large Scale Integrated Circuit.

• Like 3

Hello:

Then, is a CASIO XW unique in its engineering? :mellow: And that "system" makes what is powerful? :)

Thank you.

Well I've been involved in electronic music for over 25 years, and I've never seen anything quite like the XW.. so I would say it is very unique and that is the secret to its power.  The way they've put it all together is very clever. The step sequencer is probably my favorite part.  :)

• Like 1

I don't know that I would use the word "exceptional" in regards to the XW-P1: it does have some very big limitations with a keyboard that is not too professional in its feel, no aftertouch, limited DSP processing power which requires re-pressing a key to hear the results of some editing functions, and a less than robust (but completely acceptable) build quality.

That said, I do believe it a winner. Casio have created a strong foundation to work from, and if it's a sales hit, I hope they step up the aforementioned items (and other that other players have thought of) and come out with a strong successor...

That's pretty much the only thing that could get me to sell my XW-P1.

..Joe

The XW-P1 is certainly not ordinary, one meaning of exceptional. And I would say in some ways it is indeed unusually excellent, the other meaning of exceptional. What else would you call its solo synth and its step sequencer? I'll bet if that's all it had and some other company like Korg or Roland had introduced it at that price everyone would be praising their ability to deliver such a package.

Casio adds to that a reasonably proficient ROMpler, the Hex Layer mode for layering PCM tones, a half-way decent drawbar organ emulation, even more layering in Performance mode, a smattering of basic effects, a phrase recorder, a programmable arpegiattor and some crazy processing of incoming audio. (Did I miss anything??). You might say getting all of that for the money is unusually excellent.

• Like 1

Casio adds to that a reasonably proficient ROMpler...

Which right there removes it from "exceptional" Are the samples in the ROMpler "above average?" No. Is the Hammond emulation "above agerage?" No. is the keyboard feel and response "above average?" No. is the build quality "above average?" No. I could go on...

Yes, the step sequencer is rather nifty. However, I'm a musician: I don't use sequencers because I can play. In the 51 years I've been playing keyboards - including 23 as a professinally gigging musician - I have used a sequencer in exactly 2 pieces live, and that's only because the original used them. This included playing some very complicated pieces by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Yes, and Genesis. So one excellent feature (even 4 or 5 excellent features) does not an "exceptional" instrument make.

That said, I really like my XW-P1. It has a freshness and dynamism that brings a lot ot the table. But it's a tool, that's all. When I need somethig I go to the toolbox and get the item that will do the job best. That  is usually the Korg Kronos, but the XW-P1 does offer a lot as a synth as well.

Now, the Kronos 88: THAT is an exceptional synthesizer.

..Joe

It's all a matter of opinion, Joe. Does an instrument have to be great in all ways to be considered exceptional? Not in my opinion. Is a great feature rendered less so because I don't personally use it? Again, I don't think so. (And personally I view the step sequencer as more of an inspirational tool than anything.)

Do I think the XW-P1 is going to go down in history as an exceptional instrument? Maybe in the first sense of the word: unusual.  But it's probably not going to be mentioned in the same breath as a Kronos, except as an example of something it is entirely unlike. But it wasn't designed to be like a Kronos so that's okay. 

Bottom line is we both appreciate the XW-P1 for its uniqueness. 

• Like 1

#14: "...but it is Large Scale Integrated Circuit."

Hello:

B)  I know how a light bulb works, but:

How does a Large Scale integrated Circuit work in an XW? :huh:

Thank you. :)

Edited by David

It works like any digital circuit. Integrated means all the logic elements are on one chip, large scale just means there a LOT of them. It's par for the course, nowadays. You have to go back at least twenty years to find what was called medium-scale integration.

It works like any digital circuit. Integrated means all the logic elements are on one chip, large scale just means there a LOT of them. It's par for the course, nowadays. You have to go back at least twenty years to find what was called medium-scale integration.

Thank you.