Video Files on Forum ×

Converting .wav files to XW-G1 Samples

Display Name

So I've been using the included Data Editor to convert .wav files to readable data.

Still working out zones and resolutions, but this is what the basic work flow looks like:

1- Use a DAW to perfect the sound you want to sample

2- Save it as a .wav (still experimenting with different resolutions) 

3- Use data editor to convert your wav to the G1 format

4- Save to card

5- Put card into G1, load sample into looper, save sample on G1 int. memory

EDIT (thanks, Mike!)

6- Put G1 in TONE mode and find your sample name in user tone (slot 200+.)  <<

7- Play sample from keyboard

• Like 4

Hey Mike - you're the best! That did the trick - instead of Performance Edit I used tone edit to get the Low/High key range.

I also found you need to go into the "split points" to tweak how the sample loops - note that split points refer to the SAMPLE, not the keyboard split points.

Very interesting stutter and loop effects are possible.

Thanks again, Mike. I will post an instructable once I have everything nailed!  :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone I'm new.  I have some questions:

1. What's the sampling bit and frequency?
  2. With WAV conversion, does that mean we can painstakingly include drum sounds from Roland TB 808, 909?
  3. What are the future plans to release expansion packs (say for trance, for dubstep, etc)?
  4. Is there anyway to increase memory for greater performance, length of loop and samples, etc?

Thanks so much!  :)

Hello everyone I'm new.  I have some questions:

1. What's the sampling bit and frequency?
  2. With WAV conversion, does that mean we can painstakingly include drum sounds from Roland TB 808, 909?
  3. What are the future plans to release expansion packs (say for trance, for dubstep, etc)?
  4. Is there anyway to increase memory for greater performance, length of loop and samples, etc?

Thanks so much!  :)

1. Up to 16 bit / 42 khz

2. Yes

3. No plans that I know of from Casio, but it's pretty easy to make these.

4. No - but you can keep many samples sets on an SD card and load them in as you need them.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I've read the G1 manual pages referring to loading and playing user sample sounds and wanted to ask some questions to get final clarification:

Examples:

• Is it possible load a single Rhodes wave for instance and play it in full polyphony across the whole keyboard?
  • Or is the playback limited only to 1 tone per octave, such as for drums?

I'm afraid the manual only describes how to perform specific steps as it relates to loading data etc, but completely lacks any description of what these steps are supposed to accomplish and how they may apply to real life situations.

Typical example is the SPLT mode, it describes the steps in great detail, but purpose and usage are very unclear for a newbie, such as myself.

I've read the G1 manual pages referring to loading and playing user sample sounds and wanted to ask some questions to get final clarification:

Examples:

• Is it possible load a single Rhodes wave for instance and play it in full polyphony across the whole keyboard?

I'm afraid the manual only describes how to perform specific steps as it relates to loading data etc, but completely lacks any description of what these steps are supposed to accomplish and how they may apply to real life situations.

Typical example is the SPLT mode, it describes the steps in great detail, but purpose and usage are very unclear for a newbie, such as myself.

Multi sample sounds that what you want to do if I'm correct?, Well you can try but the G1 actually doesn't support that feature well, But you could try it with all the sample banks available but it will be a daunting time consuming task to arrange to map every banks sample to all the keys in performance mode. 

However the G1 is the only synth in the XW range that support adding samples in an solo synth patch to go beyond the wave type set.

Splt mode is very ideal for creating new sample drum sets, The function nicely records each beginning and end of a sample successively until the end of sample space is reach great for those classic 808 , Dubstep or dance drums you want to add in your repertoire. As I said if you want to add multi-samples you would need all sample banks to create a correct sound scale for a Userwave set but you would be limited by sample rate and the max range of octaves to use that if low quality sample rate and length is not a problem to pan it out could give a nice vintage sound have not try it out yet seems to tedious might find a tool that can help to design custom Userwaves that said I would recommend a two octave bass sound only. I'll take a look into it myself idea's have sprung into the mind :).

• Like 1

Examples:

Yes a single sample is possible but the sound will be off in the extreme octaves. If you look at the Grand Piano sample Brad uploaded, he took a sample from each of the 5 octaves and mapped it so it sound smooth all the across the range.

• Like 1

Sorry Scott, I removed the Grand Piano sample a while back.  I'll re-upload it later today.  I had planned on tweaking it some but never got around to it. 

Ahah found that one wasn't sure of it but found a few youtube vids explaining how to do it, now i'm sure of it I can create lengthy samples with all the sample banks into a wicked performance patch.

Sorry Scott, I removed the Grand Piano sample a while back.  I'll re-upload it later today.  I had planned on tweaking it some but never got around to it. 

Thanks, Scott!

When you play your own piano sample, is this polyphonic or is it just mono synth playing a piano wave one note at a time?

I guess I'm not explaining my question correctly. I keep reading the manual over and over and in the sampling section it states that samples can be either played back as a drum tone or a solo synth tone, but it says nothing about how to play them in poly mode as a real piano would be played.

Would you be willing to describe in steps how you managed to load, set up and play this?

Sure. Brad re-uploaded the piano sample.. all you need to do is load it into the G1 using a SD Card and then it will be in user tones 200-209. Select it in the "tone" banks and it will play like any other tone. All samples will be polyphonic by default.    See the first post in this thread for the step-by-step.. just let me know if you need more details.   :)

• 3 months later...

Hello guys this post answered a lot of questions and was very helpful. I found out the other day that i can import waves to my G1 and play them on the keyboard which is amazing! I downloaded a square wave sound from the forums and i noticed that unlike my waves, the sound holds as long as i keep the keys pressed.

Could anyone please help me understand how to make my userwaves loop contiuously as long as i have the keys pressed? Thank you! 

• Like 1

Since I created that square wave sound then I guess I can answer best?  :)   Thanks for downloading!

I made the wave sample continuous by looping it.  If I remember correctly I used the tuned looping method on the square wave.  Edit the tone and go into split edit mode and then into POINTS.  Choose the loop point option and back up the loop point until you hear the wave come into tune.  

• Like 1

Ohh yea it was you who i downloaded it from. It works thanks a ton!

Im so exited this is the first time i got a synth that can do this kind of stuff. I sampled a high quality sound from my Korg Kaossilator and my G1 can play it now with the same quality. If i had only known i could do this earlier... My G1 has now become the most valuable piece of equipment i got. 

I didnt know what i had till last couple of days wow just wow. My friends will look like they've seen a ghost when they hear my harmless looking synth just chilling there roaring like a lion  B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...