Correct way to connect MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller?

I am considering getting one of these, or going all the way to a Behringer FCB1010 (it's actually less expensive than a Solutions controller plus, say, a Behringer FCV100 pedal, which is one of the least expensive decent ones). But I want to know beforehand how I have to hook either of these into my XW-P1. I have read that it might be necessary to patch the MIDI Out from the P1 to the MIDI In of the controller, as well as the MIDI In to the MIDI Out, and to turn local control off on the P1. That surprises me. It just doesn't seem reasonable. I would expect only to need a one-way MIDI connection from the controller into the P1 and not to have to turn local control off. Am I misinformed? If not, why all the rigamarole?

• Like 1

Ah, I see: the MIDI Solutions pedal controller gets power from the MIDI connection. If I were feeding a MIDI connector from another device into it instead (e.g., another synthesizer) would that provide the power? 

With regard to the Behringer FCB1010, which I am leaning toward because of the sheer number of controllers it offers (two pedals and a dozen footswitches), it has its own power supply so I assume this woud not be a factor.   

Ah, I see: the MIDI Solutions pedal controller gets power from the MIDI connection. If I were feeding a MIDI connector from another device into it instead (e.g., another synthesizer) would that provide the power? 

With regard to the Behringer FCB1010, which I am leaning toward because of the sheer number of controllers it offers (two pedals and a dozen footswitches), it has its own power supply so I assume this woud not be a factor.   

The MIDI Solutions controller will take its power from most MIDI Outs - this link http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm lists the products that do not provide enough power.

To use the FCB1010 with the PX-5S you would simply need to connect the Midi Out of the FCB1010 to the Midi In of the PX-5S.

If you connect anything to the the Midi In of the FCB1010, then, depending on how things are programmed, incoming Midi data will be merged with the FCB1010 data and sent to the PX-5S.