Something Recent

AlenK

Had to stop after the first few paragraphs. Far too many incorrect statements to take the author seriously. The Casio CZ series came after the FM synthesis of  Yamaha- the DX7 was 1983, the CZ-101 (which was the first Casio CZ synth, NOT the CZ-1000- another incorrect statement!) was 1984; Sampling was something Casio did very well with the FZ-1- a 16-bit samper with subtractive, wafeform-drawing, and additive synthesis, and the standalone synth side was covered very well with the Casio VZ-1 synth in 1987, far less than "30 years ago"; 25 in fact...

Next, we have this statement: "Hex-Layer, which lets you build complex layered sounds from General MIDI tones" General MIDI" Really? That's where all the Hex layer sounds come from? What synth is the author playing, anyway?

Sorry. When I read that much spurious information so quickly in an article, the author's credibility fades and I can't continue reading. People with shoddy research can't be taken seriously.

..Joe

• Like 1

If you listen closely even fools sometimes say something worth hearing. In this case, the something worth hearing is how easily the author was able to use the XW-P1 for professional assignments, assignments that did not involve on-stage live playing. And the author is no fool, just perhaps ill-informed or sloppy with his facts. I will note that he doesn't actually say that the CZ1000 was the first CZ model. 

If you listen closely even fools sometimes say something worth hearing.

Excellent statement. However, even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Do you want to just sit around and wait for it to happen?

Unfortunately, I haven't the time to listen that long, nor the inclination to be bothered, There's far too many people who will state the same thing without destroying their credibility beforehand with shoddy research, and far more quickly.

..Joe

The song created by the author of the article had to be one of the better demo of the XW series on its own right.

Exactly what I thought. The whole point of that blog was to report on using the XW-P1 for real compositional projects (not as a stage instrument, which is what it was primarily designed as). While those songs (there are two, one with a vocal) might not be everyone's cup of tea, as demos they are pretty impressive. Can't tell that an XW-P1 was used (I hear someone about to complain)? I would say that is one of the messages.

• 4 weeks later...

Whatever the text is a "lie" or incorrect, may be. I give credibility to musical themes.

I am in the world of music thirty-six years ago, but I've been creating music since eight months ago. :D

LOL I occasionally listen to you're ....music and expected that much :) . keep going somehow I think one day u make something exceptional, try some equalizing and dsp on your creation it will broaden your music compositions.  

DSP= Digital Signal Processing. The path from the beginning to the end of your sound.

And there's nothing wrong with simple. Millions of million-sellers are a simple I-IV-V progression; the IIm-VI-IV similarly has been used forever. On a much higher lever, any one line of Mozart's String Quartets (for the most part) is quite easy to play on the the piano, and quite simple...

It's what the musician does with the music, not the music.

..Joe

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And I thought DSP stood for "doing something positive" ;). I came to this forum for a simple reason-I could tell this was the place for 1) people who love digging into this stuff and finding workable techniques, despite incomplete manuals, inaccurate info elsewhere, etc. and 2) people who like to "push the envelope" and possibly discover unknown or novel ways of overcoming a design's limitations to make stuff work even if it isn't designed for it (look at all the hacks people come up with to create new stuff). this keyboard is ripe for this type of work and...IT'S ALIVE! :)

• Like 2

And I thought DSP stood for "doing something positive" ;). I came to this forum for a simple reason-I could tell this was the place for 1) people who love digging into this stuff and finding workable techniques, despite incomplete manuals, inaccurate info elsewhere, etc. and 2) people who like to "push the envelope" and possibly discover unknown or novel ways of overcoming a design's limitations to make stuff work even if it isn't designed for it (look at all the hacks people come up with to create new stuff). this keyboard is ripe for this type of work and...IT'S ALIVE! :)

You nailed it. I do a lot of sci-fi type music and the XW's are PERFECT for that.. the vintage sounds makes great UFO effects and the looks.. I mean, come one: this thing looks like it fit right in on the bridge of an alien spacecraft.

I did this on the XW-G1 just using the real-time controls... 

https://soundcloud.com/keyz2401/far-out-man 

Far out, man!!!!  B)

• Like 1

Jokeyman123, I like your interpretation of "DSP"!  And you're right: The XW synths are like unexplored territory begging for discovery. At this forum we laugh at those high-end keyboards devoid of serious bugs with every capability you could ever want and that come with excellent manuals that make everything super obvious (I'm looking at you, Kronos). Where's the fun? Where's the challenge?

You nailed it. I do a lot of sci-fi type music and the XW's are PERFECT for that.. the vintage sounds makes great UFO effects and the looks.. I mean, come one: this thing looks like it fit right in on the bridge of an alien spacecraft.

I did this on the XW-G1 just using the real-time controls... 

https://soundcloud.com/keyz2401/far-out-man 

Far out, man!!!!  B)

Scott, you are such a faker. This is actually just a recording of the ambient sounds inside the control room of your spaceship. C'mon, admit it. :P

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sounded like it landed in my back yard, B-movie deluxe! This shows how deep this can go. I suspect not many have really had time to create sounds from scratch that exploit what this can really do, like this track. I have unbelievable stuff I've gotten from my SY77, but it took years and 100s of hours tinkering to learn, but with almost no real-time control like the Casio. I'll check soundcloud, maybe I will post if I can develop some different stuff.