• What Pedals work with the XW-series

Casio SP-20

Casio SP-3R

Pedals from Kurzweil and Korg also work as well as the switchable M-Audio, Roland and Yamaha will not.

• Can I used the Solo Synth and Hex Layers, or Drawbar organs at the same time

No, only one of them can be used at a time on Zone 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• How do I use the Solo Synth in the Step Sequencer?

While in Step Sequence mode, press the MENU button.

Choose Setting and press enter.

Here you will now see Solo 1 CH is selected as 14 - Change this to 1.

This tells the step sequencer to use channel 1 instead of 14 for the Solo 1 part of the sequence.

Now in performance mode choose which tone you want to have on channel 1 (Zone 1) which can be a solo synth tone, and also set what controllers you want for the knobs, which will now control the Solo 1 part in the step sequence.

• Like 3

When using the XW-P1 with an external sequencer or DAW, such as Cakewalk Sonar, Solo Synth Mode, Hex Mode and Drawbar Organ Mode are only accessible on channel one of the sequencer file.

If you try to access these voices from any other channel in the DAW, they will revert to the nearest PCM voice.

• Like 1

How do I use the XW's Step Sequencer with other MIDI devices such as my computer.

• The Performance controls MIDI assignments for all of the parts.  Press Performance, scroll down and choose MIDI edit.  There is some real power here.  Each Part can be Internal (Gen Out: ON) and if that track is controlling external MIDI gear.   There is a MIDI and USB track for each part.  This means you can independently control USB MIDI devices (such as an iPad) along with other MIDI devices on the regular MIDI out.
  • If you want to Synchronize the XW to another MIDI device or sequencer, press the Setting button then scroll down and change your Sync mode.  Do this BEFORE starting a computer application such as Cakewalk or Cubase because you have to reboot the XW after making this change.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q: When creating a "chain" does this mean connecting one complete sequence with all its "patterns" to another sequence? Or does it mean chaining any of the 8 "patterns" in a specific order within one sequence?  And when creating a new sequence (or editing an existing one), how do I select each "pattern" to record within this new sequence in order to create new "patterns"?

A: A chain lets you join any pattern from any sequence to any pattern from any sequence.
Each chain 'step' allows you to specify how many bars to play the chosen sequence/pattern for, and also what key to play it in.
You can have a maximum of 100 'steps' in your chain.

As a side note, you can also export a chain as a MIDI file.

And yes, your instincts are correct by pushing the pattern button to correspond with which pattern you want to work on.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4640-chain-function-and-pattern-creation/

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4633-linear-recording-with-xw-p1/

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/8973-creating-chains/#entry27919

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How do I use the XW's Step Sequencer with other MIDI devices such as my computer.

• The Performance controls MIDI assignments for all of the parts.  Press Performance, scroll down and choose MIDI edit.  There is some real power here.  Each Part can be Internal (Gen Out: ON) and if that track is controlling external MIDI gear.   There is a MIDI and USB track for each part.  This means you can independently control USB MIDI devices (such as an iPad) along with other MIDI devices on the regular MIDI out.
  • If you want to Synchronize the XW to another MIDI device or sequencer, press the Setting button then scroll down and change your Sync mode.  Do this BEFORE starting a computer application such as Cakewalk or Cubase because you have to reboot the XW after making this change.

So does that mean if you but together a multi-track song, including the arpeggiator, drums and such you could play that song into a DAW like Logic Pro X and then manipulate it? 

Yup.  It allows you to output all the accompaniment channels as well as the lead track to a DAW or another MIDI device like a Korg Monotribe as MIDI control signals.

Once it's recorded to a DAW as a Drum Loop you could use VSTs or output to another instrument or do whatever edits you'd like to the song.

• Like 1