Video Files on Forum ×

is there a way to trigger phrases from daw

Patrick Arend

Hello, is there a way to trigger or start xw-p1 phrase's from a daw? I think it has something to do with NRPN but I don't know how to do it .Basically I have the xw-p1 as the slave using old school midi port's, im using a vs 2400 as my master. In midi setting's of xw-p1 I have NRPN for phrase on, and the sync mode as slave. My vs2400 daw start's the step seq in xw-p1,  but I don't know how to start or trigger xw-p1 phrase's or arp's.  Many thank's to anyone on the forum who could give me any info on this subject.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the only way but you can start and stop a phrase from control track 4 of the step sequencer. Details are on page E-56 of the P1 user manual (and page E-57 of the G1's user manual). You can also transpose the phrase.

Hello, thank's to everyone who tried to help me with this, my knowledge on midi must be lousy, I just cant seem to start or trigger an xw-p1 phrase with midi. I can trigger a phrase in step sequencer, but it  isn't the phrase I want to trigger, and it doesn't have the instrument and effect's that I had on the original phrase. It's a shame the xw-p1 will never have another firmware update to address this problem of triggering phrase's and arp's with midi. It just seem's there should be a much easier, better way to do it.

Patrick,

Your VS2400 won't do it, nor would any other stand alone hard disk recorder that I'm aware of.  You would need to send the XW a MIDI message...not just a "start/stop" message.   They're two different things.  The XW is working as intended, it is not a workstation.  With a computer based DAW such as Cakewalk's Sonar or other you could do what you're asking, but at that point you're also eliminating the need for a phrase.  

WOW!      just figured out how to trigger or start a phrase with midi. after all the info I got from you guy's I realized the only way to do it was to go back to the step seq,(thank's AlenK)  I referenced the manual page's E56 and E57 of xw-p1 manual,( I know I once said the manual was almost useless but I take that statement back.)  I went into step seq, then to track param, to Phrase No. Then I went back to step edit  ct14 phrase, start .   When I hit record on my daw the phrase I wanted to start, started. This made me very happy. So far I can only do this from the beginning of the first measure of a song ,but it doesn't matter because I can now drop a midi synced phrase from the xw-p1 at the start of a song on my daw, then I can copy that phrase and lay it down anywhere in the song. If I find a way to trigger phrase's anywhere in a daw I will post it.  Again thank you happyrat1 for getting the ball rolling, and thank you AlenK for the good manual info. thank you Jared Beaney, and thank you Mr. Martin for looking into this subject and letting me know the limit's of my type of daw. Oh by the way, when I did the seq, the step seq was blank, that way I could use it to trigger phrase's only. 

• Like 1

Hi, I did not list how to trigger phrase's in the correct order, it is important in order to do this, so here it is.              First, have your daw midi set for master, clock. Second, have xw-p1 midi set for slave, go to step edit, press enter, select part ct14, scroll down to nop and turn jogwheel until phrase appear's. Scroll down again to second nop turn jogwheel to start.  Now you can go back to step seq menu by pressing exit, go to track param, enter, scroll down to phrase no. choose phrase, hit exit twice, start recording from your daw at beginning of song, xw-p1 phrase will start to play in midi sync.