The more perfect horn section

jimmyjames

Late to the party here but I've spent the last three months programming Quincy Jones, EWF and other Jerry Hey brass sections. The original requirement can be easily fulfilled by Session Horns or Session Horns Pro. It has a mode that automatically voices the instruments. Play in unison and all notes will play in their range, play more notes and the software will split the voicings. Very effective but quite a resource hungry piece of software. I use this in conjunction with Chris Hein Compact Horns which has a tremendous variety of brass instruments and sits really well in a funk mix. The most important thing is the articulations and Session Horns just has the edge although CHCH uses a lot less resource.

Quincy Jones also used to layer in synth brass with real horns on a lot of the MJ stuff and it's really effective in fattening up the sound. I use a Roland module, XV5050, for this as it has some nice spitty brass sounds that blend really well. I've just got my PX (today) and am looking forward to playing with the brass settings - nice to see that there are lots of downloads as a starting point. The search for a great brass sound is a never ending mission.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My band recently kicked back to life.  We have a horn section with us most of time but I would like to be able to cover their parts for some of the songs if we don't have them for a gig.

Well, as a horn player myself (saxophone), congratulations on having a horn section!

I would humbly suggest hiring them ALL of the time, and simply use they keyboards for other, more noble purposes..... B)

• Like 1

Hey Sky...not really active in that band anymore but you'll be glad to know the reason we thought about preparing for a hornless gig was because the horn section floated with a few bands and was booked on some occasions.  See from another post you're from Detroit.  I grew up in SCS.  You know my friend Tony Ruda?  Amazing pianist...mostly jazz these days but has done a few gigs with Salem Witchcraft over the past few years.