opening files on my Mac

skyephoto

Hi-

First post here, thanks for the support. tech support on the phone said goodbye as soon as I said "computer"

I have been unable to open files created on my PX130 on my computer.

I have tried both the proprietary files, and .mid files with Finale, Garage Band, and Quick Time- all give the same response: This file type is not supported.

Please help!!!

Thanks.

• Like 1

Mike-

Thanks for the reply, but really? I don't understand the point of having the recorder and a usb connector to back up files that can only be played back on the instrument. Had I known that at the time, I never would have purchased it!

Just to confirm, there is no way to use this instrument as a midi keyboard? The only way to playback music is to record it with an external mic?

Thanks for your time.

Just to confirm, there is no way to use this instrument as a midi keyboard? The only way to playback music is to record it with an external mic?

You are able to use a USB cable to connect it to your computer. This will allow you to record MIDI files using sequencer software and play them back either on the computer or the PX. See page E-24 of the manual... http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_PX130E1B.pdf

You can also use an audio interface to record the keyboards audio the same way.

If you have any questions about either of these, just ask.  B)

• Like 1

Hi Scott-

Thanks again. I must be missing something, as what you wrote above seems to directly contradict what Mike said! I've read the manual over and over again- before initially contacting the forum and again after.

What I'd like to do is:

A- record and export music to finale for transcription. If I understand correctly, I should be able to do this.

B- export recorded music and convert to some sort of sound file like MP3, etc. This seems less likely, right?

When I connect the piano to the computer in USB mode, I see recorder and library folders. Regardless of what I record, all I get are 4 kb files. Even the single file in the library is only 4kb. Isn't that the preloaded music that came with the piano?

Hi Scott-

Thanks again. I must be missing something, as what you wrote above seems to directly contradict what Mike said! I've read the manual over and over again- before initially contacting the forum and again after.

What I'd like to do is:

A- record and export music to finale for transcription. If I understand correctly, I should be able to do this.

B- export recorded music and convert to some sort of sound file like MP3, etc. This seems less likely, right?

When I connect the piano to the computer in USB mode, I see recorder and library folders. Regardless of what I record, all I get are 4 kb files. Even the single file in the library is only 4kb. Isn't that the preloaded music that came with the piano?

Mike and I are saying the same thing.  :)

What you want to do is record the MIDI files (for Finale / transcription) and Audio files (for wav or MP3) on the computer itself - none of the recording will take place on the Casio to do this.

You USB cable connects the Casio to the Computer - this is how you record a MIDI file. This link describes how to use MIDI to record a performance into Finale:

http://www.finalemusic.com/usermanuals/finale2012mac/content/Finale/Tut2EnteringNotes2.htm

To record AUDIO for an mp3 you will need an interface like the Fast Track Pro shown below - but there are many to choose from. You plug the audio out from the Casio into the Audio in on the interface... the interface is connected to the computer via USB. Then you use a program like Reaper to record your performance.

You may find this link useful to help learn how all this works:

http://www.basic-home-recording-studio.com/

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_241710_V.jpg