PX-5S, USB flash drive: export SMF, edit, re-import...?

artmad

New owner, struggling to accomplish something seemingly simple:

1) record a single-instrument (piano) tune

2) export it as a SMF file on the USB flash drive

3) edit the SMF file as necessary 

4) re-import it to the PX-5S via the flash drive

5) play the file and make an audio recording

Haven't been able to get to step 2 yet...I keep stubbing my toe on converting the recorded phrase to a song...can't get the new song to create.

Any thoughts?

I wish the documentation were more coherent and didn't require bouncing around all over the place!  

Thanks in advance!

Hi artmad,  

The process you are attempting to use is interesting and complicated.  I think it may be possible if you can manage to fit your piece into a phrase recording.  The phrase can only be 16 measures of course.  Once you have the phrase recorded you need to assign your phrase to a song using the song sequencer.  Press the button to light up the song light and then press edit and then enter track edit. Use the YES and NO button to assign your phrase to the underlined Phrase #.  Press the write button to save the song.  

Next, save the Song to USB.  Press and hold the media button and scroll own to save and then to song seq and then select SMF save.

After you edit your .mid file:

The PX-5S can play a .mid file only from the USB drive and it can record audio only to the USB drive.   Since it can't record audio and play back .mid files at the same time you will have to convert your .mid to a phrase and load it back into the PX5 for playback while you audio record it to the USB. 

If you need any more help we are here.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Scott, and the useful hints. Sorry it has taken a while to answer...I've been paying my dues

to the clumsy documentation, little by little figuring out the steps I need to take. I've made some headway, but I'm sure

I'll be asking more specific questions. 

Too bad phrase memory is only 8K. The ideal would be if the operating system automatically began a new phrase

when that memory is exceeded. I've discovered that the 16 bar phrase limitation is moot if you turn off the metronome

and set the length to automatic...then you can use the full 8K of memory without limitation. The best, of course, would

be to be able to record directly in Song mode, skipping phrases altogether.

I've been working on my own simplified 'manual' to make it easy for me to learn the process. Here's a download link 

for my new pdf of the button descriptions from pages 2 & 3 of the Reference pdf...much easier to read:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n9foy4xz338w3ev/REF_E-2%263(buttons).pdf

Feel free to share if you think it may be helpful to others.

Art