Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S in Canada

blaster-b

Have any Canadians been able to track down where to buy the PX-5S in Canada?

I've been in conversations with Long & McQuade and they finally told me today that they would not be carrying the PX-5S (even though you can get the PX-150 and 350), and we'll probably see them available at "the big box stores".

This news was apparently direct from the nationwide purchasing manager.

Someone from Casio should talk to their purchasing manager. Not like this is a toy keyboard or anything!

Axemusic in Edmonton has the PX-5S in stock.

http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/31667/Casio-Privia-PX-5S-88-Key-Digital-Stage-Piano-Weighted-Action/

I've dealt with these guys many times and they are top notch when it comes to service and customer satisfaction.

Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill ON also has it for a higher price.

http://cosmomusic.ca/piano-electric-casio-px-5s-88-note-scaled-hammer-action.html

I've never dealt with these guys but they seem reputable.  Who knows?  Maybe they'll do a price match?

Anyway, those are the only two on my list of Canadian vendors who stock the PX-5S.

If you're comfortable with buying without touching, either one should be able to serve you.

Gary

One owner got his at Tom Lee Music: http://www.tomleemusic.ca/

I've dealt with Tom Lee Music as well.  I bought my M-Audio Venom and my Oxygen49 controller from them.  Also very reputable.  They're based on the west coast in Vancouver BC.

Even so, I can't seem to find any Privia products at all on their site.  Your friend must have gotten it in as a special order.  AFAIK Tom Lee tends to carry more Yamaha stuff and not so much Casio.

I've dealt with Tom Lee Music as well.  I bought my M-Audio Venom and my Oxygen49 controller from them.  Also very reputable.  They're based on the west coast in Vancouver BC.

Even so, I can't seem to find any Privia products at all on their site.  Your friend must have gotten it in as a special order.  AFAIK Tom Lee tends to carry more Yamaha stuff and not so much Casio.

Yes I searched their site and couldn't find it. This owner said they matched US price (in CDN dollars) with free shipping.

I got a US price match from them on my Venom as well.  However there were a few caveats.  They estimate the final shipped price from the US with shipping costs and customs fees into their price matches so it's not as great a deal as it sounds.  It only pays off if there's a huge difference between Canadian and US price.

Axemusic also does some amazing price matches, as well as free shipping but the caveat there is that you pay extra for shipping insurance.  It's a piddly amount, like 1% but well worth the price since it absolutely covers any sort of defect or damage that may result from shipping.

Even so, I trusted them to ship me a PC3K8 via purolator this summer and it arrived without a scratch.  The box was a little scuffed, but I got a store demo from them and they checked it out top to bottom and all components were included in the box before it shipped.;  They ship via Purolator who is a hell of a lot less ham fisted than UPS and generally nobody in Canada beats their prices.

If you end up ordering from Axe say hi to Brad for me. ;)  He's been working in their websales dept. for years and everytime I pick up the phone with him it's like talking to an old friend :)

Gary

Thanks for advice. I'll likely do like other users have mentioned and "buy without ever playing it" because the reviews and user stories have been so positive (and the PX-350 sounds and plays great).

Fwiw - I live in Waterloo, about 1 hour west of Toronto.

Thanks again.

Since this is your first order from Axe they may wait a few days for your CC to clear before shipping but you should probably have your PX-5S in your hands by next week Thursday or Friday.

I hope you sprang for the extra shipping insurance.

Anyway, I once had to RMA a mixer with them and the process was relatively painless.  They covered all the return and exchange shipping costs and all it took was a bit of extra time while stuff was in transit.

Here's hoping your keyboard ships in good working order though :)

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Got my PX-5s from Axe Music on Tuesday - basically a 5 day turnaround.  Arrived in perfect shape, and Axe was great to deal with.  Highly recommended.

Just started scratching the surface of what this board can do, but overall I'm extremely happy with the piano and e-piano sounds.  Looking forward to trying out some of the downloads and putting in some time learning the sound engine.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks. Got a chance to Demo the PX5S at Axe music in Edmonton. Bought their only one and had it shipped to Vancouver; arrived no snags in 3 days. For those on-the-edge sight-unseen maybe-buyers...I've only messed with it for a few hours, but would have been quite satisfied if I had bought it over the web without the demo. The key surface is definitely not like my Fatar controller bed...but I now like the Casio better. This board seems to have done away with stuff that I never used on my older workstations, but added some very clever instant tools that are just plain fun.

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a PX-5S (April 2015).  As a fellow Canadian, I can tell you Cosmo Music also stock this piano. In my case they price matched Axe Music $979 price.

So far I'm a happy owner this new board. And must say the Casio forums and Mike Martin's tutorials help influence me to buy the PX-5S. Very supportive. Thank-you...

• Like 2