Live Looping on the XW

You can press and hold the RECORD button and it will delete (UNDO) the last take.  It took me 3 or 4 tries.  The most difficult part which I still didn't get exactly right in this version is the transition before the solo.   I'm doing the swells with the knobs, have to return to pattern 1 on the Step Sequencer and be ready to play the run on the Solo Synth.  

I like that! I am very new to all of this and have still been trying to figure out how to do something like this on my xw-p1.

1.  Choose all your sounds in advance.  Know which sound is going to go on which Step Sequencer track (what keys you'll need to play).

2.  Create the necessary splits and layers in the Performance.  

3.  Practice and have fun.

• Like 1

but the same thing could be done using a XW-P1

Anyone ever thought of doing a video demonstrating exactly what the differences are between the g1 and the p1? I'd really like to see that. I though this step sequencing was more of a g1 feature. I've got a px-5s on the way but am not sure which xw to get as I'm new to synths and don't know what a lot of the features mean.

There is an answer on this forum where Mike describes it. Try to scour the WX P1 section.

The most important ones:

• P1 has dedicated Hex layer and organ sections, G1 doesn't
  • G1 and P1 both have the same solo synth, but G1 can use sliders to modify just about anything on the synth, P1 can't because it uses the matrix to control hex layer and organs instead
  • P1 has more PCM sounds than G1- I think P1 piano is a better quality, supposedly - they both sound great to me either way
  • P1 has sounds organized in categories quickly accessible by pattern buttons, G1 doesn't, so you have to use the wheel or buttons
  • G1 has more drum kits
  • G1 and P1 both have the same step sequencer
  • G1 and P1 both have the same phrase sequencer
  • G1 has a sample looper, P1 doesn't

I'm sure I've missed a whole bunch, but these above stood out for me.

I've spent hours and hours @ SamAsh trying both, didn't buy one (YET), but must say, I really like the "fun" factor. It's dead easy to lay down a track.

Their keyboard is kinda spongy and has no weight to it at all, but it has a good deep travel, is not as good as Novation SL, but is way better than any Axiom I've tried at the store. It is really playable and quick to get used to. I wouldn't mind this as a controller keyboard.

I'm not decided which one to get either:

Here is my dilemma:

1. Like the solo synth programming on G1 via sliders - but this will be negated by the new iOS app Casio is coming out with
  2. Like the hex layer on P1 - but iPolysix, iMS20, Nave, Animoog, Sunrizer could be a good substitute
  3. Like the Looper feature on G1- awesome to sample loops from Logic

As Mike pointed out somewhere else: that's why you should get both! :-)

Anyone ever thought of doing a video demonstrating exactly what the differences are between the g1 and the p1? I'd really like to see that. I though this step sequencing was more of a g1 feature. I've got a px-5s on the way but am not sure which xw to get as I'm new to synths and don't know what a lot of the features mean.

• Like 1

Mike, 

A few questions:

1. How are you utilizing the iMS20 in this mix? Your song sounds great by the way!
  2. I see NAVE on your iPad is depressing keys as you go
    So, you didn't record the pads into the phrase sequencer, but instead recorded it on the chord track of the sequencer to make it play over and over?
  3. Does it mean it is plying live and sending MIDI to the iPAD?
    I'm a bit confused how you set this up, because you are running the phrase recorder, but NAVE keeps playing over and over

Are you running both apps via Audiobus?

Here is something I did using the XW-G1 but the same thing could be done using a XW-P1.  Nothing is pre-recorded. This is all done live using the Step Sequencer and the Phrase Recorder.  Also utilizing the iPad apps NAVE and iMS-20.

Mike, 

A few questions:

1. How are you utilizing the iMS20 in this mix? Your song sounds great by the way!
  2. I see NAVE on your iPad is depressing keys as you go

So, you didn't record the pads into the phrase sequencer, but instead recorded it on the chord track of the sequencer to make it play over and over?

3. Does it mean it is plying live and sending MIDI to the iPAD?

I'm a bit confused how you set this up, because you are running the phrase recorder, but NAVE keeps playing over and over

Are you running both apps via Audiobus?

1.  iMS20 is the bass sound.  

2.  I didn't use the chord track.  I used the Phrase Sequencer for both the bass iMS20 and the pad sounds coming from NAVE.  Basically, I hit the record button the Phrase recorder, made sure it was recording a NEW phrase and as soon as I begin playing it starts recording.  When I've played the chord part, I just hit the record button again and it plays that part over and over.  Later, I hit the record button again and overdubbed the bass part.

3.  Yes.   The phrase recorder is repeating what I've played for both the bass part and the pad part.

I wasn't using Audiobus, both apps support background audio so I was able to simply select the other app and iMS20 kept running in the background.