Stuck key on PX-850

philnotfil

I'm not sure which other Casios use the same mechanism, but hopefully one of you has run into this. Our two year-old lifted one of the keys and now it is stuck a half inch high and won't make any sound.  From what I can see there is a white piece descending vertically from the middle of the key about two inches, at the bottom of that piece is a rectangular hole. The keys to either side have something black from farther back in the machine sticking into that hole. On the stuck key I think I can see whatever that is underneath and behind the white piece hanging down. I'm a little hesitant to just mash down on the key. 

Is this the kind of thing that I am going to need to open the case up to fix, or will just mashing down on the key pop it back into place?

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the forums... Sorry about your PX-850.. No, I wouldn't "mash" that key down.. the PX-850 has a very sophisticated mechanism and sensors that could get damaged if the key isn't re-seated properly. If it were me, I would contact Casio to find the nearest service center. Mike Martin from Casio may have some other advice so I wouldn't attempt anything until he weighs in on this.  

On the bright side, it looks like the little one is showing interest in playing!  :) 

Can you post a picture? If you push down on the key gently what happens? Do NOT attempt to open it up yourself. We can help you find repair options. Let me know where you are located.

The key sticking up.

http://i.imgur.com/FfU1KK8.jpg

And here is a peek inside, the dark rectangle in the vertical white piece should have a black piece sticking into it, but that black piece is down below the vertical white piece.

http://i.imgur.com/NUjtwkt.jpg

Hi Phil - Hopefully it's just a detachment... This site shows you in detail how the action works.. you can see the section where the white vertical piece connects...

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/technology/trisensor/

Are you in the US? If so, what state?

Thanks for the link, that confirms what I am seeing under the key. Just can't lift the black piece to fit back into the white piece.

We are in Northeast Florida.

• 4 years later...

I was able to resolve this by opening the whole piano to get to the keys. The key popped out of the hammer. I had to remove the key, slide it again to make sure the hammer is back into the key slot and then re attach the key. This resolved my issue. 

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Just to chime in to others who will have this issue, I also had this issue.  There is a piece of rubber on the hammer that can get messed up if you pull up the key.  After reading a nice tutorial here on how to remove the keys properly, it will easy to remove the keys so I could access the messed up one.  Then could quickly put it back on.  Just be patient and read tutorials carefully.  I stole some extra grease from surrounding areas too. 

• 4 weeks later...

I had to remove a ton of screws and then fix the stuck key back into place. Then put all the screws back. I took lots of pictures when I am reviving them that prices helpful when I put those back.  There were some videos online but for a different model. Have to use that as a reference. Hope that helps!

On 6/23/2018 at 12:31 AM, Sjt2 said:

I had to remove a ton of screws and then fix the stuck key back into place. Then put all the screws back. I took lots of pictures when I am reviving them that prices helpful when I put those back.  There were some videos online but for a different model. Have to use that as a reference. Hope that helps!

Ditto on taking lots of pictures.  I also used a magnet board to group the screws together, in order of the disassembly.