Video Files on Forum ×

How do you use YOUR PX-5S?

jaspeter

After reading the forum for awhile now, it finally occurred to me that there are a ton of different ways to use this great keyboard.  Some people are using it solely for the ability to create new sounds in a studio, some are using it in a live setting for only a few configurable voices, some are one-person bands.

So, how are you using your PX-5S?  Or how do you envision yourself using it in the future?  Knowing this might lead to others to offer useful suggestions, or to learn from your setup!

I am in an amateur band that has a rhythm guitar, bass, and occasional drummer, besides myself on keys.  The drummer is not always available for practices (or gigs, for that matter) and I needed something to make up for it.  I routinely use the zones to split the keys into drums in the lowest octave or so, and usually two voices split in the remaining keyboard space with the octave shift placing them into useful registers.

I have started programming multiple drum tracks to go with each tune, usually two.  I save the drum track (used as a common phrase, not a zone phrase) to start up with the footswitch.  For each drum track, I have a stage setting that I can switch to.  In many cases, the stage settings are identical except for the drum tracks.  Some tunes start with a count-in or intro that I play myself using the keyboard, then start the drum track at the appropriate point.  When we switch to a chorus or bridge that needs different percussion, I just switch the stage setting appropriately.  This way, the drum track doesn't sound entirely like a single canned loop for the duration of the song.  I can also vary it a little by playing other drum sounds over the top of the loop when my left hand is free.  I am a little bummed that the voice cuts out when switching stage settings if it is a hex layer, but I've been able to work around that for the most part.  It sustains just fine if it's a normal tone.

This setup works better for me than programming a single drum track simply because it allows more flexibility in live performance.  There are times when I need to tack on a measure or two because someone comes in late from a rest or goes long through a solo.  Also, because we're not pros, it's not uncommon for someone to come in a beat early or late.  It's not too much of a stretch for me to hit the footswitch and start back up at just the right moment, usually less than a measure after the problem.

Right now, I'm just switching between stage settings using the console, but I'd like to hook up my foot controller to do it via MIDI controller signals.  Another possibility is running MIDI out to my MIDI Event Processor and assigning CCs to a zone so that I can switch stage settings from the keyboard itself!  I just haven't had the time to try it.  Maybe if I didn't waste my time starting a rambling forum topic like this...?

My bandmates have been impressed with the percussion and tones that come out of this little baby and I haven't even uncorked the arpeggiator yet!  I'm dying to throw Rio (Duran-Duran) or Baba O'Riley at them!

I'd also like to do some solo performances, but I haven't developed the voice, chops, or guts to do so yet!

• Like 3

My PX-5S is kind of like a Swiss Army Knife.. it does a little bit of everything for me and can go anywhere...

• Practice piano pieces when the family is asleep
    I have an acoustic piano, but I like to play late at night. The PX-5S with headphones sounds amazing and I don't bother the family.

• Cool spacey synth sounds
    I do a lot of sci-fi type music, and the PX-5S is PERFECT for that. Amazing, really how much it can do here.

• Soft Synth Controller
    With the money I saved by buying this instead of a $2000 workstation, I was able to get some cool software synths. The PX-5S is a great controller.

• Playing Out
    I don't gig with a band, but I do help out with my son's events - Scouting ceremonies and school plays. Live music is always appreciated. The weight and battery operation makes it easy to take the PX-5S anywhere. 

• Sound Design Lab
    This is my weak area, but I am bound and determined to learn how to program sounds from scratch. With the hexlayers, 4 zones and arpeggiators  there are endless possibilities here. 
  • Like 2

I mainly use my px-5s as a piano, and sometimes layer strings.  I also split the keyboard with organ and piano to play tunes like "Smooth".  Also layer electric piano and strings for songs like "What you won't do for love."  Pretty simple stuff, but its so cool that this instrument will do everything that my MO 8 would do and its half the weight and much smaller.  I can now play a gig with my whole system (kbyd, mixer, speakers, mic stand, piano stand, speaker stand, computer stand, computer) and get in with ONE TRIP, which is HUGE!  After MANY load ins, I found out how to perfectly load my dolly and took a picture so I wouldn't forget how I did it!  I know, little things make me happy..

David   

post-1855-0-84626400-1379632445_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I'd been a rhythm guitar player for years but have always had a keyboard to add thickness to stuff I wrote -- mostly arpeggios and simple chords; I'm not a piano player.  I had a Roland XP-10.  I really liked it for that purpose.  About a year ago, I decided to take old English country dance-type melodies, write lyrics, and record/perform them with classical instruments but with a pop/rock vibe.  (By that I mean something sort of like Fleetwood Mac meets Mumford & Sons.)  So I envision M & F singers, electric violin or viola, electric cello, flute, piano, and me on my Privias (5 & 3) essentially being the equivalent of a rhythm guitarist but playing the melodies -- I'm not good enough to "fiddle" around like a lead guitarist would, so I play the backbone of the song and let everyone else do their fancy bits.  The piano would also do counterpoint and bass.  This kind of music is very riff driven and I can play most pretty much any riff with my right hand.  Due to brain wiring issues, I really can't separate my hands -- on a guitar, both hands work together to produce one sound (granted, it's a polyphonic instrument) rather than independently, which is fine for what I want to do.  I am, on some songs, learning to play the same riff on both keyboards (dual stand) with different sounds.  Honestly, I prefer the PX-3's keyboard action to the 5's and for certain songs, it's enough to use that keyboard predominantly.  Generally the sounds I like to use are based around thick strings, flute, and pads with a fast attack, chorus, reverb, etc.  However, in my early days of learning the stage settings, I found "Illuminated" which is PERFECT for a song based on the old tune "Bonny at Morn".  The deal sealer for me is the ability to edit the wave forms.  Shimmery stuff is useless if I can't set the attack.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've only had my 5 a few days and so far have done one gig useing it as a lower K/b for A Piano, Wurly & Rhodes.

To keep it simple for this 1st gig. I loaded A Piano into 0-5. Rhodes 0-6. Wurly 0-7. Drawbar 0-8. Vox Conti 0-9.

The idea being to keep the patches I might need as close to the front in one bank.

I also used a Korg CX3 as my uppr K/b.

I intend trying the 5 with my V-Machine & VB3. I did try my PX3 with V machine VB3 but didnt find it useable.

As the 5 has programable sliders and knobs, Im more hopeful with this combo.

I loaded Mikes Vox Continental patch. Thats gonna be very useful for me for Doors and Animals tunes etc.

So for me its going to be used mainly as a live do everything board.

Norm

• Like 2

Ps5/Hammond XK-3c/very old roland r5(my 3rd one) and peavey muse box.

Firstly the LA piano really works for me.

Wurly piano good too.

A bass on left hand to fill out when using hammond and muse box.

But

when I link up the roland with the arpeggiator and drum effects it all happens for funk or swing,also for fusion country( banjo/accordian ,wild!)

Because the ps5 allows me to take my hands off the bass I have the freedom to play with two hands on the hammond or use the pitch and mod. wheels on synth sounds on the ps5 and muse box.

What I can't do yet is use the 2nd manuel on channel 5 and muse box on 6 and 7 from the ps5 'YET'.

• Like 1

I intend trying the 5 with my V-Machine & VB3. I did try my PX3 with V machine VB3 but didnt find it useable.

As the 5 has programable sliders and knobs, Im more hopeful with this combo.

I would be very interested to hear how this works out. I also have a PX-3 and V-Machine running VB3. I am still waiting for the PX-5S to arrive in the UK so that I can try it out. 

I would be very interested to hear how this works out. I also have a PX-3 and V-Machine running VB3. I am still waiting for the PX-5S to arrive in the UK so that I can try it out. 

Hi Willf

So far, I have only had time to briefly try the V Machine/VB3 with th PX-5s. It works well..

I will be creating a few empty stage settigs, using the sliders for drawbars and the knobs for volume, drive etc.

The Damper/Pedal 1 works fine for leslie fast/slow.

K/b feels fine for organ even though its weigted.

as Hugh says they are avaiiable in th UK. i think Digital Village and Gear4music have them.

Im in the Uk, if you are near to me you can try mine if that helps.

Norm

I have had a little more time today to try using my V-Machine & VB3 with my PX-5s.

I couldn’t find anywhere that explained how to use as a master keyboard.

I played around and worked out that, you need to disable GenOut and Activate Midi or USB Out.

It's great. I created a Stage Setting with the 6 sliders as Drawbars.

I reversed the polarity so they work just like drawbars.

I used the knobs for Volume, Rev, Drive, Perc amount.

Next I created a split Stage Setting, With PX5 Wurly on the bottom half of the K/b. And External V-Machine Module on the upper half of the Keyboard.

Im hopeful that, I should be able to gig with just the PX5 and V-Machine.

I will continue gigging with the PX5s and my Korg CX3 for a few more gigs until Im confident with these new Stage Settings.

I have been gigging since th early 70's and have had many, many Keyboards.

This PX-5s is the best gigging board I've ever had.

Its very programable. It sounds great, feels great and is very light.

Norm

Sounds like you are doing a good job figuring everything out, Norm! Looking forward to hearing how your gigs go!  :)

Cheers Scott. Gigs are going well. I have used a few of the Wurlitzer EP settings, the Wurli Cruzer stage setting is a cracker, thanks Jim. Great sound and feel and cuts through well with a 6 piece blues band.

I've also tried Mike's Vox Continental patch. Using it for House of the Rising Sun etc Very useful for me, as I gig in Newcastle UK, Home town of "The Animals".