Video Files on Forum ×

Chain function and pattern creation

Jokeyman123

Something I can't seem to find in the manual or figure out myself.....when creating a "chain" does this mean connecting one complete sequence with all its "patterns" to another sequence? Or does it mean chaining any of the 8 "patterns" in a specific order within one sequence?  And when creating a new sequence (or editng an existing one), how do I select each "pattern" to record within this new sequence in order to create new "patterns"? I have to guess that before recording whether using the sequencer buttons or from the keyboard, I would push whatever pattern button I wish to create (1-8) and this is automatically saved with the entiere sequence, but again, the manual does not seem clear about this. I am trying to create longer automated arrangements without constantly switching pattern or sequence buttons.

• Like 1

A chain lets you join any pattern from any sequence to any pattern from any sequence.

Each chain 'step' allows you to specify how many bars to play the chosen sequence/pattern for, and also what key to play it in.

You can have a maximum of 100 'steps' in your chain.

As a side note, you can also export a chain as a MIDI file.

And yes, your instincts are correct by pushing the pattern button to correspond with which pattern you want to work on.

• Like 2

Thank you Jared and AlenK for your responses-so I can chain "patterns" together from within one sequence or copy to another sequence but can I chain entire sequences together? Since patterns can be set to any length chaining "sequences" may not be necessary but can I do it? Studying the manual as I post this I had no idea patterns within a sequence can be longer than 16 beats even though the small display counts measures. I have always used "linear" sequencers that allow for setting measure start and end points numerically. I guess the Casio sets this for patterns by my inputting the number of measures in the chain screen display. I can hear that many of the pre-recorded sequences are not just based on 16-beat loops (I think so) so I know there is a way to extend recorded sequences. Sorry I may seem dense but the manual takes alot for granted (IMO).  I will have to work on this some more. I posted this under sequencing since I thought it most appropriate. Anything added to the faqs post can only help.

I may be wrong but here is my understanding of all of this:

A "sequence" in XW-speak is a collection of up to eight patterns. You can store up to 100 user sequences, each with up to eight patterns. Each pattern has 13 parallel tracks, nine of them for playing notes (with velocity info) on selected parts (audio channels) and four of them for playing control information (wheel & knob movements, etc). Each of the 13 tracks in a pattern can have a different number of steps up to a maximum of 16. The steps in any given track can be chosen from several different "sizes", which is the time between steps with respect to the MIDI clock (quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note, etc,). Every step in a given track will have the same chosen size. Yes, as crazy as it seems each track in a pattern can have a different number of steps and a different step size than any of the other tracks in the pattern, which could lead to some pretty wild rhythms if the mood strikes you.

A chain is a data structure that references the patterns stored in the sequences (both preset and user). It's just a list of pointers to the patterns. You can put a pointer to any pattern that is in the XW's memory after a pointer to any other pattern; you aren't limited to the patterns in the sequence that is currently selected. You can assemble up to 99 of these pointers per chain. For each pointer you can specify the number of measures a pattern will play over (the measure count) and even shift its key (in semitone increments). (Note: The manual doesn't say how many measures you can specify but it's probably 99.) You can specify if a chain loops or not. You can store up to 100 different chains.

It's worth mentioning that a pattern can also trigger a phrase. You can embed codes in control track 4 that will start a phrase or stop a phrase at any step in the track. You can shift the key of a phrase (in semitone increments) when you start it. You can also specify the phrase that will be triggered by the pattern from any of the phrases stored in the XW's memory. The sound or voice that the phrase will play is determined, of course, by what is currently selected for live play on the keyboard. An important correction for anyone reading this now: The sound you will hear from a phrase triggered by the step sequencer will actually be whatever tone is setup for part/zone 1 or for one of parts 8 to 16, as determined by the Ctrl.Ch parameter of control track 4.   

It's a pretty complicated system and decidedly very different from a more traditional linear MIDI sequencer. But with enough thinking about the structure of the music you are trying to create you can achieve similar results. Whether it's worth the effort versus firing up a MIDI sequencer on a PC and doing it all in that is up to you. The strength of the XW's collection of sequencers (step sequencer, phrase sequencer and arpeggiator, the latter a complex beast in its own right) may be in the real-time interaction that is possible. And I believe there may be as yet undiscovered capabilities when you use them in combination.

• Like 5

Wow, beautifully described, that's what I wanted to know and couldn't figure out. That I can specify how many times I wish to repeat a pattern within the sequence in chain mode. Pattern 1 can be 4X, pattern 2 6X etc. all the way out to all 8 pattern selections, including intros, endings, fills etc. like auto-accompaniment but fully programmable and interactive, amazing!  So chain mode is the way to create lengthier less repetitive compositions. Great-that's the piece I needed to know. I've posted elsewhere here that the XW-P1 is so (IMO) complex because the functions are integrated into real-time playing rather than static sequencing a melody, rhythm or chordal structure one at a time, its truly a different approach, like learning a completely different instrument.  Even the best auto-accompaniment keyboards don't do this. Now i can really dig into composing on this. In some ways this could be more fun than a linear sequencer-a different way of thinking, but definitely workable. Thank you again AlenK, i owe you!

"Pattern 1 can be 4X, pattern 2 6X etc. all the way out to all 8 pattern selections,..."

Actually, it's even better than that. It's "all the way out to" (potentially) all 1600 patterns stored in the machine (well, up to 99 patterns chosen from 1600): 100 user sequences x 8 patterns in each plus 100 preset sequences x 8 patterns in each = 1600. You can chain together ANY of the patterns in the XW's memory in any order.

After studying Mike martin's tutorial on Youtube one more time-finally realized how to create seemingly longer patterns in step sequencer. As AlenK described, by changing the note duration in edit mode, this sets up the 16 steps in the sequencer to other note values-so making each "step" a quarter note this is creating the equivalent of 4 measures of 4/4 time, half-notes would be 8 measures. i haven't recorded anything like this yet (took me 4 days to understand all this!) but I would guess this works not only for chords and melodies, but for the drum tracks if played real-time from the keys rather than the sequencer buttons. This opens up this instrument for me immensely.......since one is not limited to one-measure looping in the step sequencer, and then there are eight possible instant variations within this, and then there is chaining patterns-the more I learn, the more amazing this instrument becomes. Time to do some compositions! I spent an hour or two just improvising over some of the preset sequences which are actually quite nice. I particularly like the acid jazz and club jazz sequences, couldn't stop playing with the B-3 sounds, unbelievable fun. Thank you all again on this board for your help.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Choose a sequence you don't mind overwriting for testing.

Hit Edit button, scroll to copy, hit enter.

Choose track or pattern, (i like pattern 1-8 all tracks).

So if you started a beat on pattern one, copy it to 2, press enter.

Getting into all functions in the edit menu is the thing that opens this beast up. For example, the changing of track perameters and note length which can be changed is handy if i want to change chords over 4 bars (less notes but hey) instead of 1 making it a 64 step. Cymbols might go half speed 2 bars over the 1 bar loop bass drum.

Here's some stuff i did. https://paulhayworth.bandcamp.com/album/future-boy-2