Question about real-time key changes from step sequencer

Jokeyman123

Another stumpfer (for me at least). While using the lowest octave to shift to other key signatures as the step sequencer is playing, somehow I managed to knock it off a half-step-if I hit the G key the sequence is actually in Ab, F key is F#, etc.  Is there a setting somewhere that I unknowingly changed? I have no idea what it is. I checked the master transpose buttons but these are set at zero transposition. Strangest part of this-some of the sequences are in tune with the key I press, others are not. Are the sliders controlling for this? Maybe this is in the manual, but I can't find where. This is almost like a full auto-accompaniment function, but without auto-accompaniment that recognizes your chords in real-time. Casio practically invented auto-accompaniment (I think). Maybe a firmware update could modify this-imagine being able to update any sequence live by changing your chord to major/minor, 7ths, 9ths etc. and doing everything else this thing can already do! Now we're talking completely interactive automated incredibly complex arrangements complete with phrase triggering, arpeggios, 8 variations and chaining unlike anything any keyboard has ever been able to do. I know, I'm asking alot here and not complaining but I like to "push the envelope" (ha-ha) and I can't think of anything else this doesn't already do outside of bringing me coffee in the AM! :P:)

• Like 1

Hi  Jokeyman123,  I wish I could answer your question, it is a stumpfer. You might be on to something with the slider's. I really liked your firmware update ideal, that's good thinking.  I know casio could squeeze out at least one more firmware update if they wanted to. I hope Mike Martin can get them to do at least one more update. I know he would also want one more update for the xw.

New XW-G1 owner with almost the same thing happening. Not all sequences do it, and they are transposed by different amounts.

Trying to nail it down to figure out what is going on.

Similar weirdness syncing the tempo to my Korg M3. Some sequences lock tight to the beats from the M3- I can leave the room and come back,

and they are still in sync. But other sequences drift within a couple dozen bars.

I'm pretty experienced with synths and workstations, but I gotta say, these XWs are head scratchers!

That's right-seems like I'm getting different transpositions with different sequences, really weird-and this is without touching sliders or changing any other setting-maybe this is just one of those weird "bugs" or holes in the software driving the XW. I'll keep trying to find an answer, seems pretty important as I really like switching keys around as I play. All sequences default to key of C when starting fresh-maybe some of these pre-programmed sequences were set to a different key originally and it throws off the matching transpositions........Hello Mike Martin, think the forum needs your help again!

• 2 months later...

I was using the mixer to transpose the step sequencer pitched parts by moving the 'part' selector left of part 1 so it selects 'all' then using 'coarse' adjustment for semitones, then selecting right, to parts 1 and 2 and then using 'coarse' adjustments for those back to the original pitch. It doesn't seem to affect non-pitched drum parts. The transpose keys also work only on the non-step-sequencer parts.