Video Files on Forum ×

Exp Pedal conn. to kb controller midi'd to PX-5S - volume swells?

leefentress

I've got a little E-mu Xboard. It supports c.c. pedals. I've got my expression pedal connected to it, and I have the xboard midi'd into my PX-5S. On the grand piano, the exp pedal is doing the half damping function splendidly. Pretty cool. But how would I go about setting it to do volume swells on strings? That's what I really want to use it for.

• Like 1

Set the Xboard to the same midi channel as your strings, change the pedal control parameter from CC#64 (Damper) to CC#07 (Volume) or CC#11 (Expression).

Example: For a piano/string layer with the ability to fade-in the strings with an expression pedal, put the piano on Zone #1 (receives on MIDI Channel #1) and the Strings on Zone #2 (receives on MIDI Channel #2). Set the Xboard to transmit on MIDI Channel #2, set the Xboard's Pedal Input to control MIDI CC#11 or #07.

Sweet. Thank you so much!

Cool, it says it right here on page 44 in the manual "The Pitch Wheels and Control Pedal can be reprogrammed to send any desired CC message."

Awesome! :D

Oh yeah - the PX-5S is a very versatile MIDI controller. A lot of the "early adopters" have been professional gigging musicians, but it also is great in a studio setting to control other MIDI gear and/or soft synths, virtual piano software, etc.