Basic sequencing part 2 1/2 Aaaarrgghhh!

Jokeyman123

I have studied Mike Martin's sequencer videos carefully several times (both parts)-read the manual over several times. Can't get past anything but recording drum tracks. Every time I switch a "part" with the mixer and select a sound for the part I wish to record beyond the drums-I get no response from the keyboard (trying to record live from the keys rather than the buttons). I am in sequencer mode, step sequence in "edit" is on as are the tracks that I have selected. The "part" button for the part i wish to create is selected. I am stumped again, I must be overlooking something obvious-do I need to be on the "mixer" or "edit" page when I record a bass part or other track? Do I need to match a "performance" with the sequencer first? I have tried from an empty sequencer user memory slot and a preset in edit mode either way, can't even get a basic bassline down with the keys but I can with the buttons-the three drawbar/select buttons are all off as per Mike's instructions. Maybe my XW is just buggy. Any help on this is welcome-I've pretty much cracked 80-90% of what I can do with this, every other function works as it should and I thought the sequencer would be easy, it appears it should be.  I am not new to sequencers but I am new to this one! The manual-lists how to play a sequence, how to edit one and all the relevant parameters, but....yes sir not how to create one. Might have helped IMHO....And thanks again for the team of people that have helped me learn this new little beastie I may actually be able to play some music soon... ;) :wacko: :P

• Like 1

A follow-up to my own topic. Not totally sure, but I updated the XW-P1 firmware that addresses added MIDI functions and now the sequencer recording is working as it should, I followed same instructions as before. I also noticed that sequences are now matching my key-presses when using the keyshift button whereas before these would come up with weird mismatched transpositions. I can't be certain this has to do with original firmware, but....................Any comments are welcome. Just glad it works right.

The moral is...always update to the latest firmware. I am a bit surprised, however, that your P1, which I assume you bought fairly recently, did not already have the latest firmware, which is quite old now (1.10 AFAIK, which was released April 2012 I believe).

well it does now-bought it from someone else who probably did not even notice firmware as it looked unused, its used now and will be. Thinking of updating the keybed too-XW keys sit kind of hard at bottom of travel although have a nice feel for a synth-(I'm a piano player mostly) and will probably feel better with some piano felt underneath-did this with two other keyboards/pianos and it is alot of work, but much nicer to bang on. Maybe its just me. I'll post if I do the mod. Did some more sequence work-it's holding up fine now.

Will do-may take awhile, I've have to stay off my feet for awhile-fractured heel-but I probably will tackle it in within a week or so-I purchase felt by the yard at W****t--they have thick felt which is perfect for this-I redid my Kurzweill RG200 with it made a lot of difference, and an SK76 Gem which had an open design spring keyboard-some instruments (TS-12 Ensoniq) have an enclosed steel frame which doesn't allow me to get into the section where the hammers rest or strike the keybed (I tried)-I'm guessing the Casio will not be as hard to do-finger damage from my experience comes from the bottom of the keystroke which if you like to play hard like me, can get nasty after awhile. I'll post pictures and instructions-I really enjoy being able to contribute, I've been messing with this stuff since pre-synth days-used to practice on the old Wurly tine pianos alot during college played some B-3s and many others, saw one of the first Memorymoogs in Bearsville studios (Woodstock, NY) where my keyboard  friend Robbie got ahold of one for one of the first recording sessions there, used to empty clubs with his old C-3 and B-3 with ring modulators attached. Yes I'm older than dirt but music keeps the dirt out of my ears!