tnt2gamer

Problems with XW-G1 Firmware Updater 1.10

I can't get my XW-G1 to accept the firmware update 1.10.  On the PC, I get the Not Connected message.  On the Mac, I get a message telling me to hook the keyboard to the PC and hit OK.

I don't have any problems with the Data Editor.  It sees the XW-G1 and works perfect.

I can't get my XW-G1 to accept the firmware update 1.10.  On the PC, I get the Not Connected message.  On the Mac, I get a message telling me to hook the keyboard to the PC and hit OK.

I don't have any problems with the Data Editor.  It sees the XW-G1 and works perfect.

Hmmm.. Create a new User Account in Windows, download the firmware update  and try the updating using that new account. 

That was the missing step Mike.  I forgot about edit mode, and I didn't scroll down enough on the page I downloaded the firmware update from.  The update worked now, and both of my XW's are running on 1.10.  Thanks Mike.  Thank you, too Scott for your response.

For anyone else updating their firmware: you have to press the POWER, EDIT and WRITE buttons at the same time to put the XW in UPDATE mode.  ;)

A blank screen is a deeper issue. It can't be fixed with the press of a button.  Go to Casio main website and look under support and service.  Contact the service center near you for repair options. 

Are Casio XW-G1 now dying during firmware updates too? This absolutely sucks.
:-(

The main problem is an atrocious design flaw that completely erases the internal flash memory (including bootloader) before downloading the update into RAM from PC. Thus switching the instrument or power off after starting firmware update is absolutely deadly to the operating system and makes the mainboard unbootable. I.e. once firmware update has begun, *never ever* disconnect power to the Casio keyboard (no matter if your laptop crashes or windows reboots or you need to rent or buy a new laptop in between because yours refuses to finish that pesky procedure) before new firmware has successfully loaded into the instrument.

An in depth technical analysis can be found in this thread:
Pooched XW-P1

That bricked mainboard disease could have been easily avoided by not overwriting the flash boot loader during update. In computer engineering study I learned that building a system design like this is almost a sacrilege. But other companies built such trash too; e.g. plenty of Samsung laptops died of an UEFI bug by attempt of installing Linux. The XW-P1 and XW-G1 mainboards even seem to be identical (other than software), so I hope that hardware hackers will eventually learn how to refurbish those boards using an eprommer to rewrite the flash memory chips on them with the original firmware.