Problems with XW-G1 Firmware Updater 1.10

tnt2gamer

I can't get my XW-G1 to accept the firmware update 1.10.  On the PC, I get the Not Connected message.  On the Mac, I get a message telling me to hook the keyboard to the PC and hit OK.

I don't have any problems with the Data Editor.  It sees the XW-G1 and works perfect.

Hmmm.. Create a new User Account in Windows, download the firmware update  and try the updating using that new account. 

That was the missing step Mike.  I forgot about edit mode, and I didn't scroll down enough on the page I downloaded the firmware update from.  The update worked now, and both of my XW's are running on 1.10.  Thanks Mike.  Thank you, too Scott for your response.

For anyone else updating their firmware: you have to press the POWER, EDIT and WRITE buttons at the same time to put the XW in UPDATE mode.  ;)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Are Casio XW-G1 now dying during firmware updates too? This absolutely sucks.
:-(

The main problem is an atrocious design flaw that completely erases the internal flash memory (including bootloader) before downloading the update into RAM from PC. Thus switching the instrument or power off after starting firmware update is absolutely deadly to the operating system and makes the mainboard unbootable. I.e. once firmware update has begun, *never ever* disconnect power to the Casio keyboard (no matter if your laptop crashes or windows reboots or you need to rent or buy a new laptop in between because yours refuses to finish that pesky procedure) before new firmware has successfully loaded into the instrument.

An in depth technical analysis can be found in this thread:
Pooched XW-P1

That bricked mainboard disease could have been easily avoided by not overwriting the flash boot loader during update. In computer engineering study I learned that building a system design like this is almost a sacrilege. But other companies built such trash too; e.g. plenty of Samsung laptops died of an UEFI bug by attempt of installing Linux. The XW-P1 and XW-G1 mainboards even seem to be identical (other than software), so I hope that hardware hackers will eventually learn how to refurbish those boards using an eprommer to rewrite the flash memory chips on them with the original firmware.

• 4 years later...

So if the firmware update doesn’t work the unit can still be repaired if I send it to a repair center? The keyboard no longer loads up and I can longer put it into update mode. It just flashes when power is hit. I’m seriously upset. I had a panic attack because I literally just got the thing. I should have checked the forums because the directions there were much clearer.

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5522-updating-the-xw-firmware/

They should seriously put that info in the directions page because if this thing is really permanently damaged I am gonna cry. I seriously just got it and was loving it and went to update it because the keys weren’t lining up in my DAW properly and now I don’t even have a working instrument anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 6:15 AM, purpleparadise said:

So if the firmware update doesn’t work the unit can still be repaired if I send it to a repair center? The keyboard no longer loads up and I can longer put it into update mode. It just flashes when power is hit. I’m seriously upset. I had a panic attack because I literally just got the thing. I should have checked the forums because the directions there were much clearer.

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5522-updating-the-xw-firmware/

They should seriously put that info in the directions page because if this thing is really permanently damaged I am gonna cry. I seriously just got it and was loving it and went to update it because the keys weren’t lining up in my DAW properly and now I don’t even have a working instrument anymore. 

If your XW has failed to update correctly, unfortunately, your only option is to take it to an authorised Casio repair center or an authorised Casio dealer. 

You didn't mention what happened during your firmware update attempt. The two main issues that can cause the firmware update to fail is having an anti-virus program that interferes with the process, or if there is some form of power failure to the XW during the update (either by mains power outage or the XW being switched off). As long as the XW remains powered, it can continue the update where it left off if there are any interruptions. If it lost power and/ or was shut down during the process, that almost certainly means the main board is toast and will need to be replaced.

I wish I could offer better news for you, but do try and find a Casio dealer that can possibly help as the XWs are well worth having.  

Just updated my "New" G1 from 1.10 to 1.11 with a Windows 8.1 laptop. Followed Casio's instructions precisely (Printed them out first - that helped a lot!) - had NO problems. Watching the bars leave and come back on both the keyboard LCD and the command prompt window was a helpful indication that something was going on.

Now all I need to do is download Talent 1.0.....

• Like 1