Video Files on Forum ×

Loaded Stage Setting Tone not held after power down

Choppin
Go to solution Solved by Mike Martin,

Hi Knuckles,

I don’t see the Writing of a stage setting to memory manually after Loading it suggestion as a fix, but rather as a work around.  The loading of a stage setting from a USB drive should be expected to work WITHOUT additional user intervention.  Loaded data should not be volatile unless it is a specific design to limit the number of writes to programmable ROM (internal flash memory of the px-5s if you will) .  This would make sense because there is a limit to the number of reads and writes on flash memory, and too many could make the memory corrupt or non-functional.

I don’t know the architecture of the Px-5s, but it never really turns off but stays in a standby by mode when the off button is hit.  This suggests that it supplies a little power to RAM to hold the state of the machine.  This would be a good thing because SRAM or DRAM won’t deteriorate as fast as flash memory or NVRAM because of data written to it. 

In regards to your problem, if you are loading a tone, it’s not going to necessarily load into a stage setting unless you write/save that tone with the stage setting.  It would be similar to bringing up, say, stage setting 5-4 , pressing the [Drums] button, (play the keyboard you’ll hear some drums sounds) , then without writing the stage setting, change to another stage setting, then come back to this one, the drums will be gone.

The stage settings are unique in that they store a version of the tone within the stage setting itself (if I understand it correctly).  So, you could alter the GrnPnoConcert tone in stage setting 0-0, save the stage setting with the altered tone, load that stage setting with your altered tone, and the GrnPnoConcert tone in the stage setting would be different than the one that is already in the Px-5s. 

Do you understand the distinction I’m trying to make?  A tone saved by itself is only a tone – but a tone saved within a stage setting affects that stage setting and can be different with its own set of parameters.  So loading a tone by itself will only temporarily affect a stage setting unless you save or write the entire stage setting with the loaded tone.

Hello Choppin. Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay in replying - have been busy. I have just had a look to see what actually happened and I see that (of course) you are right. :-)

When the bit in the menu where the tone replaces something came up I did not pay too much attention, other than to glance and see that it was not going into to 0-0. As it wasn't, I assumed that that was ok then. After pressing enter it says replace No/yes and then when you go back to the menu, the new sound is already placed in the stage setting. To me that all felt rather concrete and final, but of course as you say, it was not. Ironically, Mike's workaround was precisely what was needed here though: hence my confusion. I was - not for the first time - completely muddled and now feel rather foolish. Thanks for your help, and sorry for taking up your time. I now have the problem of trying to find out what sound it replaced and attempting to recover it..............:-( Think I will try asking on the Facebook page....

• 1 month later...

So, a weird thing happened this weekend at a St. Patrick's Day gig.  It was an outdoor gig and a we had a bit of rain come through.  Before I got a chance to completely cover the PX-5S with a tarp, a couple of drops got on it.  One happened to land on the power switch and temporarily disabled the switch.  I couldn't shut it off, so I unplugged it.  I was on Stage Setting 0-5.  Fortunately, the power switch became active again and when I turned it on after the rain stopped, Stage Setting 0-5 came back up, but it came up as OrchGlckTimp.

The strange thing about all this is that I have written, over-written, and re-written stage setting 0-5 many, many times over the last several months, both from the editor and from USB, and the OrchGlckTimp hasn't been on there since almost day-one.  This particular time, it was a "Save All" file that was loaded in for the gig.  The other strange thing is that Stage Setting 0-5 was the only one that got changed.  Everything else remained from the "Save All" file.

I'm guessing that the fix that's coming addresses this, too, but it's different than the behavior I've seen in the past.

Here's another one for the X-files.  Using the editor, I dragged user hex tone 50 to the computer to save it because I was about to overwrite it.  I proceeded to drag a new hex tone from the computer over to the hex 50 slot.  I played the new hex tone for a bit and then decided to restore the original hex tone that I saved to the computer.  I grabbed the original hex from the computer and dragged it back.  All should be good now, right? Wrong.   Suddenly that hex tone became one of my custom hex tones that exist only in one of the other stage settings on the board.   Interesting.  

Ouch Jason. Obviously there were no four leaf clovers anywhere near you at that gig. My PX has not behaved like that - but then that is not altogether surprising as It does not drink and has never been exposed to liquids ;-) . This is one scenario which I definitely am not prepared to duplicate as a test...... Hope it is fully recovered from its shower now!

Brad, what you have described seems (from my viewpoint of absolute computer ignorance) to show quite a few similarities to our general theme of memory problems. Quite a few differences also though, especially as you did not use the USB stick. I might experiment later on an see if this happens to me also. In the meantime, I wonder if perhaps your keyboard should be made an honorary member of our little "bug club"...........maybe it is feeling excluded?

• Like 1

They say that things come in threes.........may I contribute the third bit of weirdness this week.....

This also is a completely new thing which has not happened to me before, but it seems similar to what Brad has just described. Possibly contagious, Brad?

Whilst in the transfer part of the editor, I intentionally replaced SS 6-5 with 0-0. It then said 6-5 concert grand. I could also see that it said 6-5 concert grand on the keyboard. I then went to the parameter edit page and selected 6-5. Again, in the list it was called concert grand.

Having selected it from the list, as soon as the "please wait" had left my computer screen, both the keyboard and the parameter edit page reverted to what it had been before. On the transfer page it remained as concert grand! I was able to repeat this three times. I also tried with a couple of other sounds with the same result.

Oh dear - it gets worse...... :-(. Trying again today to move a SS in the editor transfer mode into my PX and make it stick. it is still doing the bouncing back to the previous SS. It is correct on the transfer page, but not on the Parameter edit page. it is like the data editor has been separated into two parts which no longer communicate with each other properly. Could it be that I am doing something wrong??

Tried turning off the keyboard and turning it back on. I see the correct SS name in the list of options in parameter edit, and the correct name on the keyboard, but as soon as I click on the one I want to edit, once the PLease wait thing disappears, I am back to the previous SS on both - but on the parameter edit page it STILL shows the correct one (ie. the one I just loaded in).

HELP!!!! What is going on?????. It is like the reverse of the previous problem. Previously anything loaded through the data editor was rock solid, but anything loaded through the USB was potentially dodgy. Now it appears that the editor is no longer stable....... So I don't know which to trust.

If I am missing anything blindingly obvious please tell me, because this is not a very good situation.

• 2 weeks later...