share wk/ctk user tones

• 2 months later...

Hi there.

I was able to open your file with the theremin tone and it is awesome! I came back to try your other tones but  cannot open the files! It doesn't make sense to me because I was able to open the theremin before and it doesn't look like you changed anything. My computer is not recognising the file extension. What program did you use or can you convert to a format that explorer will be able to open? I would sure like to try the other tones!

Thanks!

Surfcat

surfcat

See "Supported Data Types" in the lower left column of Page 136 of the manual for valid file extensions for the CTK/WK-6X/7X keyboards.

I do not understand when you say Windows/Explorer will not "open" them.  These are proprietary Casio CTK/WK-6X/7X files readable only by those keyboards.  Windows will not be able to "open" them.  If you mean that Explorer does not "see" them so that you can copy them to an SD Card and load them directly into the keyboard, then there is a problem.  Explorer on both my Vista and Win-7 machines "sees" them just fine.  If you are trying to do this, they will need to go into the MUSICDAT folder on the SD Card.  Do not leave them in the UserData folder when you do that, or the keyboard will not be able to find them.  After you unzip the zip file, you should have the following four Casio files:

Rhodes/Vib.TN7

Theremin.TN7

VOX1.DB7

VOX2 Dist.DB7

Perhaps a better way would be to unzip the zip file to a folder of your choice on your PC.  Connect the keyboard to the PC via USB and bring up the Casio Data Manager 6.1.  Go to the "Preference" tab and browse to that folder with the "User Data File Folder Path" field.  Go back to the "Transfer" tab.  You should now see "Rhodes/Vibe" and "Theremin" in the left hand transfer pane.  Drag those files and drop them onto the User Tone slots of your choice in the right hand pane.  Any existing data (Tones) in those slots will be overwritten by the new tones, so use care when doing this.  Now, go up to the data field with the word "Tone" in it.  Click on the down arrow at the right side of that field to bring up a drop down menu.  Select "Draw Bar Organ".  If you do not see that option and you are running Win-7, then you most likely have Data Manager 6.0 and need to download 6.1.  DM 6.0 did not display that option under win-7.  You should now see "VOX1" and VOX2 DIST in the left hand pane.  Drag and drop like you did with the User Tones to transfer them to the keyboard.

The TN7 files are straight User Tones while the DB7 files are Drawbar Organ User Tones.

Good luck !

crazydubwise:

Nice tones, but I apologize that I do not have anything to offer in return.  While I may tweak the presets that I use most often to "fit my own ears", so to speak, I have never had the patience to be a tone designer, and I envy you folks that do.  Because I have nothing to exchange, I seldom download other user's tones.  I only downloaded yours because surfcat1 was having a problem and I wanted to help him.  There is nothing wrong with your tones or zip file.  I was able to load all four tones into both my CTK-7000 and WK-7500 and play them just fine.  I was particularly fond of the Rhodes/Vibe, but really nice work on all four.

Best of luck !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

to get 3 speeds of leslie rotation.

in the dsp rotary editor set the slow and fast speeds you want, for example 60 and 90.

set rotary button to 'slow speed' then asign slow as 60 and fast as 80

set modulation button to DSP.

now you have 60 with rotary button off, 80 with it on and 90 when youn press the mod button

• Like 1

just managed to get the therimin sound on my WK7600, what a great sound!!

with the casio data-manager software it's easy, pulg the pc into the keyboard and drag on drop the TN7 files under 'tones' these are the 'user tones' on the keyboard.

the DB7 files are for drawbar organ only and can be found at the dropdown menu where it says 'tones'

Silvano, downloaded and extracted the CAT zip file. Cannot download into drawbar organ via data manager. An error window pops up saying "File format Error". According to manual this means the file is corrupted. Could you please re send the zip file?

Thanks, Chao

Smigell: Yes, I did exactly that, but still a prompt comes up saying File format error. Were you able download and upload to keyboard without any problems? I downloaded other files, like the Vox one to drawbar without a problem. Can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated. Geria

like silvio i'm useing a WK7600 , from what i can make out so far it only takes TN7 and DB7 files,all those synth sounds (ZPF and ZLT files ) wont drop onto my data manager,so clearly wether the files drops or not depends on what keyboard you have plugged into yourt PC.

The ZPF and ZLT files are for the XW's and PX-5S. The CTK/WK boards do not have the voice (tone) architecture to handle them.

i've never played a proper synth like an XW, the WK has an extensive synth section. so, i'm i missing much? not being able to use these tones? 

Sorry Guys, downloaded updated data manager and tried silvano's cat tone. I'm still getting the prompt telling me" Format File Error". I guess it may have something to do with the difference between the 7500 and 7600. So, unfortunately I have to do without the CAT tone. Thanks anyway. 

To turn off the drum machine: Turn off Auto and push F (user rhythms) and find a NO DATA slot, so if you push auto in error there is still no drum machine sound. 

smiggell

The CTK's and WK's aren't really synths.  They are what is commonly referred to as ROMplers.  That is, they play back pre-recorded waves that are stored in ROM memory (ROM-player = ROMpler).  What really sets them apart from true synths is that they lack the ability to generate, in real time, the raw waveforms for the creation of totally new and unique sounds.  Many pseudo-synths emulate this ability with a myriad of those raw wave forms stored in ROM, so in a sense, even though they "act" like a synth, they also are still ROMplers, but they do have the capability of performing very extensive editing on those waves.  The CTK's and WK's lack even those sophisticated wave editing capabilities, but they were never intended for that.  They were primarily intended to emulate various acoustic instruments with onboard accompaniment and are most commonly known as "Arrangers" or "Arranger Workstations" depending upon their specific features.  How well they do that depends upon your own personal point of view when it comes to different types of keyboards.  To say that you are "missing" something, because you can not load XW or PX-5S tones into your CTK or WK is very difficult to answer.  If you are currently satisfied with your CTK/WK, then the answer is most likely "NO", but if there are things that you want or need to do and can not because of the CTK/WK's limitations, then the answer might be "YES".  If it is a case of giving up one to have the other, then the answer becomes even more difficult, as both types have advantages and features that the other does not.  In that case, you would need to decide first what it is you really want/need from a keyboard, compare the features of each, and then make your decision, but for all the years I have been in this business, believe me, how many new sounds or accompaniment styles you can download for free is not one of the higher priorities when it comes to choosing an instrument.  Here again, the importance of "expandability" over other criteria depends primarily on the type of use to which you expect to put the instrument.  How well it ALLOWS you to play it, how creative it ALLOWS you to be with it, how comfortable it ALLOWS you to feel playing it are some of the most important criteria for selection.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

smiggell

The CTK's and WK's aren't really synths.  They are what is commonly referred to as ROMplers.  That is, they play back pre-recorded waves that are stored in ROM memory (ROM-player = ROMpler).  What really sets them apart from true synths is that they lack the ability to generate, in real time, the raw waveforms for the creation of totally new and unique sounds.  Many pseudo-synths emulate this ability with a myriad of those raw wave forms stored in ROM, so in a sense, even though they "act" like a synth, they also are still ROMplers, but they do have the capability of performing very extensive editing on those waves.  The CTK's and WK's lack even those sophisticated wave editing capabilities, but they were never intended for that.  They were primarily intended to emulate various acoustic instruments with onboard accompaniment and are most commonly known as "Arrangers" or "Arranger Workstations" depending upon their specific features.  How well they do that depends upon your own personal point of view when it comes to different types of keyboards.  To say that you are "missing" something, because you can not load XW or PX-5S tones into your CTK or WK is very difficult to answer.  If you are currently satisfied with your CTK/WK, then the answer is most likely "NO", but if there are things that you want or need to do and can not because of the CTK/WK's limitations, then the answer might be "YES".  If it is a case of giving up one to have the other, then the answer becomes even more difficult, as both types have advantages and features that the other does not.  In that case, you would need to decide first what it is you really want/need from a keyboard, compare the features of each, and then make your decision, but for all the years I have been in this business, believe me, how many new sounds or accompaniment styles you can download for free is not one of the higher priorities when it comes to choosing an instrument.  Here again, the importance of "expandability" over other criteria depends primarily on the type of use to which you expect to put the instrument.  How well it ALLOWS you to play it, how creative it ALLOWS you to be with it, how comfortable it ALLOWS you to feel playing it are some of the most important criteria for selection.

arrangers come with limited edition timbres compared with synths that remains for us is to get blood from a stone. A crucial tool that I've been using the WK 7600 is the Enhance, as it does not have a specific EQ for tone gives the ENHANCE to improve a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...