Youtube video: "Casio XW-P1 Sounddemonstration"

Question to Patrick-regarding sliders controlling effects-I'm wondering if these changes can be recorded with the sequencer (hex mode works in track 1 of the sequencer) or even in the phrase recorder (I don't have the XW in front of me and don't recall if hex mode can be used to record phrases). I know control changes can be recorded in the sequencer using separate tracks, but would be much easier to be able to do this live directly in hex mode.

I'm sure Patrick will answer, but (not surprisingly) I have an answer too. :)

I used to think that the sliders didn't send out anything while you are in Hex Layer tone mode, but then I saw this post. The sliders do output NRPN messages (you might have to enable output of NRPN messages in one of the Casio's menus) but what is output for the first six sliders is a bit strange. There appears to be a simple math problem at work in in the XW here (signed versus unsigned integer). This wouldn't necessarily be a problem if the XW responded to NRPNs sent to it in the same way. But reportedly it doesn't. So if you were to record the NRPNs in a particular track of your external sequencer you would need to fix them (if that is even possible in your DAW) before playing them back to the XW. If you are concerning only with the sliders that control effect parameters (the last two) this peculiarity would not affect you.

I don't know whether the sliders output the same NRPN data if you are in Performance mode with a Hex Layer tone in Zone 1.

The step sequencer will record slider movements on a control track but only as a way of entering values for the individual steps. It isn't recording NRPN data. And the values you enter for each step won't control what the sliders normally control. You would need to assign an effect parameter (for instance) to a knob and then use one of the control tracks to "simulate" turning the knob.

Regarding phrases, I am fairly certain that slider movements are not recorded. The manual mentions only the knobs, the pitch-bend wheel, and the modulation wheel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An interesting development in the question of how this video was recorded. Marko Kolbatz commented in German that "2nd song not really in time" to which the guy playing in the video, Wieland Morawietz, who also posted the thing to YouTube, replied in German (translated here by Google):

"Hello, Marko. It is possible that in the post-processing (editing / sound) because of an error image (dropout) + something - has shifted and therefore a "perceived asynchrony" appears! Also YT sometimes has little probs in the processing / playback (buffering caching) "

But if you watch him "play" that second song you can see that sometimes he hits notes _exactly_ on time but for other notes following very soon after or just before he plays a fraction of a second late. If there were a synchronization problem between audio and video caused by post-production (which certainly can happen) then all the notes would show the same consistent delay, at least those played within the same section of the video. And I'm watching a copy of the video saved offline, so no possible YouTube buffering problems (which wouldn't explain audio/video mismatch in any case). So I think there is no question that he is "key syncing" a performance that he recorded earlier. He just doesn't want to admit it.

I'm also confident now that all of these sounds are from the P1. Besides the fact that he gains nothing by pretending that sounds from some other keyboard(s) are being produced by the P1, I discovered that the backing rhythm in the first song that he "plays" to scenes from the movie "Run, Lola, Run" is one of the preset sequences stored in the P1. I can't remember which one but it is exactly the same.

Too bad Wieland does not seem to want to answer questions posted in English.

• Like 1

If you watch at 14:50-14:55... he plays a chord that NEVER sounds. It's really not that big a deal... Music videos have always been made this way with the band "playing along" to a pre-recorded track. And, like Alen, I have no doubt these were produced on the XW. 

On a similar note, I found this video that shows what it may have sounded like on the movie stage when Beach Boys mimed along to a recording of "I Get Around":

• Like 1

On a similar note, I found this video that shows what it may have sounded like on the movie stage when Beach Boys mimed along to a recording of "I Get Around":

The Copyright Takedown Police Gorched the file within hours of you posting this.  At least I got to watch it and have a good laugh though. :)

Gary

EDIT : It says it's not available as an embed but it still plays OK on the Youtube site so go figger.

The Copyright Takedown Police Gorched the file within hours of you posting this.  At least I got to watch it and have a good laugh though. :)

Gary

EDIT : It says it's not available as an embed but it still plays OK on the Youtube site so go figger.

Here's another link in case that one goes dark:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xygrmz_the-beach-boys-shred-i-get-around_music

Casio didn't produce musical instruments back in 1965, just calculators. And Scott was entirely correct. The calculator he offered a picture of is the Casio 001 model, released in 1965.

http://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/w-casio001.html

Scott's post was a funny aside. There is no Casio in the video. But if there had been it might have been that calculator.

• Like 1