9 Drawbar Organ

jaspeter

File Name: 9 Drawbar Organ

File Submitter: jaspeter

File Submitted: 18 Oct 2013

File Category: PX-5S Stage Settings

I'm just getting into the Hammond B-3 sound and I was really impressed with the 9 Layer Organ that Jimmyjames posted back in July. I started looking into the way the drawbars worked and found some pretty good pages on the net that have some of the more popular registrations. Unfortunately, you need 9 drawbars to do that and the way they were tied together in the 9 Layer Organ didn't allow you to adjust all of them independently. So, I wanted to build something that would allow me to experiment. This really won't be a performance Stage Setting as much as a "play around with" Stage Setting that you can then solidify into different presets as you find them.

I really think that the key to pulling off a B-3 sound will be in presets because there aren't 30-some-odd drawbars on the PX-5S, for good reason! Here are some of the key notes you'll need to be aware of for this stage setting:

Drawbars: There are nine "drawbars". On the Hammond, they are organized this way: 16' 5 1/3' 8' 4' 2 2/3' 2' 1 3/5' 1 1/3' and 1'. They are on the PX-5S as follows, respectively: ModWheel, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, K1, K2.

Rotary effect: I like being able to experiment with these effects, so I moved them to K3.

K4: This controls the volume of the percussion. More on that below.

Pedal 1: This switches between 2nd percussion/slow decay and 3rd percussion/fast decay. I didn't think the 3rd harmonic sounded very nice when it suspended for too long, but you can adjust that as you like by editing the Stage Setting parameters.

Pedal 2: This turns the percussion on and off.

Percussion: I don't have a Hammond B-3 to sit next to, but I do have the internet! I found a good YouTube video in which some of the different sounds and registrations were isolated:

. With the laptop plugged into the audio in port of the PX-5S (good thinking, Casio!) I played this video through the same speaker as the keyboard. True to some of the other articles I read, the percussion sounded quite marimba-like, so that's on the percussion channel (zone 3).

The way the original organs were built, percussion only happened for the first note struck in a legato passage, i.e. as long as any keys were held down, no more percussion sounded. To duplicate this effect, I created a phrase that plays one single note, and then dummy-fill (with expression controller values) to extend the phrase for awhile. Percussion will repeat if you hold down a note long enough, but at a tempo of 20, it hadn't repeated after 2 minutes of sounding a note. I think that'll do. If you want to bypass this effect and have percussion strike every note, regardless of other keys held down, simply turn off the arpeggio button. You will also need the OrganPercuss phrase file in slot 910 for this feature to work.

Click here to download this file

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I missed a step for the download. When you load the phrase onto the PX-5S, you need to change the LOOP: from [OFF] to [ON]. Don't forget to WRITE the file into the same slot (910) after changing the loop parameter. If you don't do this, the percussion will sound on every note, regardless of legato playing.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@shaneblyth, If I remember right, all you need to do is change the Pedal 1 target to DSP 1.  That's the fast/slow toggle for the rotary DSP.  (I may have used the Drive Rotary DSP, I don't remember offhand.  If DSP 1 doesn't do the trick for you, try DSP 3.)

Sorry, Katie. There was only supposed to be the one file now, with the B1 at the end of the filename. The percussion modeling is done with the arpeggiator, which is stored in the stage setting, do you should only need the stage setting file. I thought I had deleted the others, which were from a previous version. I'll do that from my desktop tomorrow.

New user here and just started setting up my PX5S preferences. Needed a good Hammond sound and 9DB vB1 seems to be a good fit but I cannot get the Rotary effect to work via pedal 1. Selected Rotary in DSP edit and Stage Setting Edit>Common Pedal 1 to speed and tried the other recommendations posted with no luck. Can't find the Pedal 1 Target>DSP1 setting as recommended. So, how does one set up slow/fast rotary via pedal 1????.....Thanks!!     :    )

Do this on the front panel of the px5 and it will show the dsp parameters by name in the target list.  The editor will not show the names like this. 

Select the zone with the organ tone/rotary dsp using the zone +- buttons.

Press edit>stage setting>common edit>pedal 1>set it to toggle and not momentary> edit target>choose SPEED fast/slow

Make sure pedal 1 is off in the other 3 zones.  

Edit>stage setting>zone>controller>pedal 1>off   (use the zone +- buttons to change zones)

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 5/4/2014 at 10:03 AM, BradMZ said:

Do this on the front panel of the px5 and it will show the dsp parameters by name in the target list.  The editor will not show the names like this. 

Select the zone with the organ tone/rotary dsp using the zone +- buttons.

Press edit>stage setting>common edit>pedal 1>set it to toggle and not momentary> edit target>choose SPEED fast/slow

Make sure pedal 1 is off in the other 3 zones.  

Edit>stage setting>zone>controller>pedal 1>off   (use the zone +- buttons to change zones)

I tried this and set it to pedal 2, but it's acting funny. I set the DSP to rotary on Zone 1 (Where the organ sound is) and I set pedal 2 to"speed"  under "common" for the Stage Setting. Then I disabled pedal 2 under zone 3 (where it was previously enabled and set up to toggle percussion on/off) and turned it on for only zone 1. The rotary speed switching works, but only when I have zone 3 selected on the front panel. If I go right to the stage setting from another stage setting it defaults to viewing zone 1 (as per the norm) and I can't switch the rotary speed with pedal 2 until I tab over with Zone + so that I have zone 3 selection. There is obviously some kind of hold over from pedal 2 being setup until zone 3 in the initial stage setting, but I don't know where that option is.

I have run into similar issues with other patches when I make a fader/knob/pedal do something different on a different zone than it was int he factory preset. It does what I want but only when I have the original zone selected. Sometimes I have had it where the fader does sometimes different depending on what zone is selected. (I had distortion set up on knob 2 on a synth patch which I added to a piano sound. The piano had knob 2 originally mapped to mid eq. I set knob 2 to distortion for the synth and only turned it on for zone 2 [where the synth was]. It would distort as desired when I had zone 2 selected, but if I tabbed over to select zone one, it would distort the synth as well as changing the mid eq for the synth, but leave the piano sound uneffected [as it should because I had knob 2 turned off for zone 1. This if obviously a different issue, but probably related to what I am doing know/not understanding for the organ tone.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Jaspeter,

Thanks so much!  This is the best Hammond patch I've found.  I was able to make one tweak, but had some technical difficulty.

I altered knob 3 to be a rotary expression as so:  Assign 1: DSP Param 6 Min: 0 Max: 80, Assign 2: DSP Param 9 Min:0 Max:46.  This adjusts the fast rate and adds a tiny volume swell as the rate gets faster.  This is an attempt to replicate the organ mod wheel on a Nord.

My technical difficulty is that I want to use the mod wheel to control this.  I can do that, but I can't get a knob to replicate what the mod wheel is currently doing.  It seems to be adjusting something in addition to Layer 1 Vol.  All the way down it adds quite a bit of bass.  I can't get the same effect just assigning Layer 1 Vol to K3 (and matching the Min/Max) and I can't seem to get K4 to actually adjust anything even though the screen says it is.  I feel like I'm missing something on the Zone tab of the editor, but can't figure out what.

Any insight would be appreciated!