Video Files on Forum ×

PX-850 for a beginner (and playing midi files)

tbaac

Hi, I'm new here.  I am thinking of getting a digital piano.

I am a beginner and my daughter will hopefully start using it as well.  I had been looking at the PX-780.  I understand that the 780 has various educational and fun features.  But the PX-850 has a few more features of its own.

I am wondering if I can do some of the educational stuff on the 850.  For example, if I got a couple of midi files to play along to then I could have a similar "accompanied" effect on the 850.  If I have read the manual correctly then the tempo of the midi playback could be slowed as needed and it would still give the opportunity to have fun and practice timing.

Can the 850 play midi files the same way as the 780?  Will the shorter list of voices on the 850 cause problems with playing back the midi accompaniment file?  Can I get hold of accompaniment files which will only use instruments supported on the 850?  Sorry if the question is daft.

Thank you.

• Like 1

As I understand it from reading the manual, the PX-850 can play back songs.  Songs can be copied as midi files on a memory stick to the piano and then played in this way.

If a midi file that I copied on there had a drum on it for example, then would the midi file:

- Not play at all

- Play but with no drum present

- Play with a poor drum sound

- Something else?

Thanks again.

Have I got this wrong?  Would the 850 just play whatever was in the midi file as the currently selected tone(s) on the piano?

I guess there's no background playing of any instrument other than those already selected then.

I've been wavering between the 780 and the 850.  I was liking the 850 largely because its more expensive than the 780 without having some of the features of the 780.  Therefore (I was thinking) the features that it does have must be really good.

Thanks for the reply Scott.  The backing track wouldn't have to be great quality, I was just hoping to use something a bit more interesting than a metronome keeping rhythm, and perhaps to have some chords to play on top of if I get to that stage.

If the 850 can play files containing a backing track and the track can have a couple of instruments other than keyboard instruments on it then that sounds good.

Are there any good sources for backing tracks on the internet?  (Since you suggested varying levels of quality out there).

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Scott.  The backing track wouldn't have to be great quality, I was just hoping to use something a bit more interesting than a metronome keeping rhythm, and perhaps to have some chords to play on top of if I get to that stage.

If the 850 can play files containing a backing track and the track can have a couple of instruments other than keyboard instruments on it then that sounds good.

Are there any good sources for backing tracks on the internet?  (Since you suggested varying levels of quality out there).

Thanks again.

Yes - there are a ton of free MIDI download sites.. they usually have 2 or 3 versions of a song. Another thing that makes for VERY good backing tracks using karaoke tracks as .wav files... the PX-850 can play those back. Much higher quality then MIDI in most cases.  

Thanks again Scott. 

Actually, I was starting to look on the internet at the Kawai cn24.  I know that's off-topic for here, sorry.  Its got a few features on there which I quite liked and is a couple of hundred more than the px-850.  One other feature I liked on it was rhythm patterns built into the metronome.

I should get myself into a shop sometime and give them a look sometime I guess, see if its worth the extra money.

Actually I meant the CN34, which isn't really a fair comparison as its a significant jump in price.

Compared to the CN24, the PX-850 would come out better.  Features such as line in, and the drum metronome come in at the CN34 level I think.

Is there a Casio up from the PX-850?  I'll probably end up getting the 850 but just checking the options.....

Thanks again.

Actually I meant the CN34, which isn't really a fair comparison as its a significant jump in price.

Compared to the CN24, the PX-850 would come out better.  Features such as line in, and the drum metronome come in at the CN34 level I think.

Is there a Casio up from the PX-850?  I'll probably end up getting the 850 but just checking the options.....

Thanks again.

The PX-850 is definite the flagship of the "home models" of the PX series. The PX-5S is another option if you want more bells and whistles, but doesn't have the built-in speakers or cabinet.  If you are interested in something with auto-accompaniment and drums backing, the PX-350 may be another option to look at.   :)

• Like 1

Thanks again.

I discounted the PX-5S because it didn't have speakers.

But then I was reading Tim Praskins talking about the Kawai MP6, and he seemed to think that the lack of speakers was okay because you could add some at home.  Presumably the same would apply to the PX-5S.  His opinion was that it was cheaper to add powered speakers and a quality stand than to buy a console, allowing you to buy a better piano.  His opinion though I guess.

Instead of the PX-350 I'd been looking at the PX-780.  But I'm not sure I need full accompaniment, just that everything-else-being-equal, a drum metronome was nice to have.

If you don't need full accompaniment the Px5 is a good choice too.  Some of us who own the PX5 have created metronome phrases that can be used on it.  They are available for download on these forums.   Plays and sounds just like a built in metronome.  I mention this  in case the metronome was something you'd like to see on the Px5.  

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forums. The PX-850 would play using the General MIDI soundset. The MIDI file will tell the PX what sounds to use. How good the song sounds really depends on how much care went into making the MIDI file.. some GM MIDIs sound great, some not so much.  :)

Sorry but this is incorrect.  The PX-850 does not have the GM soundset.   The PX-780 would be a better choice for this application.

• Like 1

Eek, okay thanks.  If it can't play GM MIDI then I'd presumably have to use wav, which could work but might be tricky.

Re the PX-5S, I notice that Tim rates this highly on his site.  However, its in the same sort of price range as the console Casios we'd been talking about I think.  Its got extra features but mostly the features seemed related to use on stage.  So maybe its not what I need either.

Which brings me back to the 780, 850 or Kawai cu34, depending on what balance of features and price I want.

One other thing I liked about stage pianos though is that the stand is separate.  In the past I've seen mdf wardrobes disintegrate over time.  Does that happen with the sort of material used for the 780 and 850 over time?

Also, what sort of MIDI files can the PX-850 play?

Thanks again.

Thanks Brad.  My goals for it mostly revolve around the piano side of it I think.  My daughter's started on keyboard lessons and I've thought, "Hmmm, piano".

So I primarily want it to feel and sound roughly like a piano.  But with headphones for when she's asleep.

Then certain features start to look attractive, such as a built in metronome or rhythms, backing tracks etc (and so the ability to play midi and wav files etc.).  But I don't see myself creating new sounds in the ways I've seen with the Px5 on youtube.  Its great that people can do it but its probably not for me.

If I did want a slab it looks like the px-350 might be comparable to the px-780 (I think I read somewhere that the 780 is the 350 with a cabinet and better amp and speakers).

The 350 is a bit cheaper and there's a stand with pedals available for it.

Anyone know if the px-780 is available in the UK yet?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Also are there any good youtube videos for the px-780?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my px780 2 weeks ago from rimmers music. Think they may have a few left in stock, not much change from £800. They told me it was a kind of limited edition and once the stock has gone they may not be making them anymore.

The review of the px780 on a to z music blog reviews convinced me to buy the px780.

Hope this helps.

Leigh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a PX330 and am focusing on playing piano. I would have no reservations getting a PX5 for home use. The sound out of a keyboard's speakers is not that great, so I've got my 330 hooked up to external speakers anyway. There is a ton of fun stuff you can do on a PX5. There's a decent amount of fun stuff you can do on a 350 too. And a slab is nice. I don't intent to use mine on stage anytime soon, but I am thinking about bringing it to my Mom's for Christmas and playing a few tunes for the family.

The 350 has built-in accompaniments and you can even edit them (remove tracks, change instruments, etc). You can set it up for dual use (playing side by side with your daughter). It will play back the Midi files (supports GM) too.