FILTER SWEEP'S IN HEX MODE

Patrick Arend

Hi Double P, thank's for your response to this question. I will try that, the only problem for me is the dsp effect's in my hex layer's, I don't want to change them to get a real time filter sweep, I just want to get a real time filter sweep without effecting my effect's. Im beginning to think that real time filter sweep's in hex mode is just not possible.    

If what we heard starting at 9:18 in that German video posted in the forum here (http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4747-youtube-video-casio-xw-p1-sounddemonstration/) is actually coming from the XW-P1 (and I think too that it is) then another possibility is that it might be using a PCM "synth" wave that already has a filter sweep as part of the sample. It's been a while since I auditioned all of them so I can't immediately identify which one it might be. We're probably hearing a hex layer and it might be using wave 0504 ("Star Voice-B") as one of the components. This produces a sound a lot like the uppermost harmonics of a filter sweep and it sounds the same for every note (so it's really a sound effect). Perhaps Casio put it there exactly for this reason. Boy, we sure could use a "cookbook" describing how the Casio engineers envisioned all the sonic resources they included would be utilized.

• Like 1

The "Wah" DSP does something like that I think. If you turn off the LFOWaveform, then you can manually adjust the resonance with the DSP sliders, in real time.

I think you mean adjust the "cutoff" frequency (or center or "reference") since that is what the wah effect is changing. Adjusting the resonance amount is interesting but doesn't give you that classic filter-sweep sound (besides which AFAIK you can only do that in the solo-synth's total filter).

Luckily, you don't have to adjust the "cutoff" manually every time you play to simulate a filter sweep. You can automate the sweep by using a pre-recorded phrase that captures movement of an assignable knob programmed in your current Performance to adjust the wah's "cutoff" (using the appropriate CC#). Record the knob movement over and over until you get it perfect then save the phrase. The phrase will retrigger and play back the sweep every time you hit a new key. Of course, this will not sound the same as a true polyphonic filter sweep that occurs independently for every note. But played carefully it might be close enough.