Using the PX-5S with a DAW

ArtSweatBlood

Hey all, proud new owner of a PX-5S here with a very simple question.  I'm new to the world of midi (controlling virtual instruments in my DAW (Logic) is simple enough), and I'd like the ability to record the sounds of the PX-5S onto the DAW.  I'm thinking I need more than a USB cable to do this.

So I've started looking at MIDI interfaces.  Would a MOTU midi express serve this purpose sufficiently?

Bonus question: are there midi interfaces that perform more functions than a MOTU midi express that I may consider?

Hello and welcome to the forums.  :)

The PX-5S does not do audio over USB so the MIDI express would not work for recording the PX-5S audio in your daw..  it would only record the MIDI information. You will need an interface that  has audio ins to record the PX-5S audio directly into a DAW. I use the FastTrack Pro - but there are many options. 

That being said, unless you want to do live,  overdub-type  multitracking,  you can simply record the onto a USB stick from the PX-5S and load that file into your DAW.

Let me know if you need more clarification on any of this. 

Thank you Scott.  Yes I do intend to do live recording, so I will need a USB-Audio device indeed.

I'm guessing the cabling will just involve, minimally, 2 midi and audio cables from the PX-5S into FastTrack and a USB cable from the FastTrack into the computer?

Correct.. but you will not need MIDI cables unless you also want to do sequencing. 

• 3 months later...

I haven't bought the PX 5S yet, but I'm considering it.  I am wondering, could I use this as a midi controller with Reason 7?  More importantly, if I do, would I be able to record amendments to the midi data, such as from the mod wheel, pitch bend, and damper pedals, into Reason along with the raw midi data?

Hi and welcome to the Casio forums. Yes - all the controller info (wheels, pedals, sliders /knobs) are sent via MIDI and can be recorded into the sequencer. Then you can playback to the PX-5S sound gen and/or use the synths in Reason. The PX-5S is a great master controller! In my mind, even if you took out the internal sounds (which are amazing) - the PX-5S would still be a great buy.. the action and control functions are just that good!   :)

• Like 1