Very Rare Casio Organ: Symphonytron 8000

• 6 months later...

New files re-uploaded: Casio Symphonytron 8000 manual

I have re-uploaded the manual of the ultra-rare "Casio Symphonytron 8000" stage organ system. It is describing all components and even a smaller setup with only one CT-8000 keyboard (much like mine).

These PDF files are 10 and 15MB huge, so I placed them on a file hoster that claims to keep them (hopefully) for 1 year.

Casio Symphonytron 8000 brochure:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-15021277/Symphonytron8000-brochure-engl.pdf.html

Casio Symphonytron 8000 German manual:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-15021276/symphonytron-DE.pdf.html

Edited by CYBERYOGI =CO=Windler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I still have the CT-8000, the RC-1 and a defective MB-1. I do not own the pedal board, speakers and 2nd CT-8000 (nor enough space to install a complete system). If anybody has hardware photos or eprom dump of the pedal board FK-1, please upload it.

Here are a few words I wrote about it. 

Casio Symphonytron 8000

A successor of the Casiotone 202 was the similar Casio CT-8000 keyboard (additional stereo chorus, reverb, only 1 vibrato, no speaker), which was part of the ultra- rare modular stage organ Casio Symphonytron 8000. (I read that only 100 specimen were made. I downloaded the manual.) This expandable organ system from 1984 was assembled from the following detachable units:

• 2x keyboard CT-8000
  • dual keyboard stand CS-200 (with integrated audio mixer)
  • auto accompaniment unit RC-1
  • memory unit MB-1 (sequencer, uses RAM-Pack RA-2)
  • pedal keyboard unit FK-1
  • foot volume pedal VP-2
  • 2x sustain pedal SP-1
  • 2x speaker combo amp AS-10 (small) or AS-120 (medium) or AS-1000 (large, with reverb)

A smaller expansion level used only one CT-8000 on the stand CS-100. The CT-8000 could be also used separately with an external amp; there was even a hard carry case HC-11 made for it.

some main features:

• per keyboard 49 fullsize keys
  • polyphony 8 notes per keyboard
  • monophonic pedal bass voice
  • 49 preset sounds {piano 1..4, honky tonk piano, zimbalon, synth. sound, harpsichord 1..2, celesta 1..2, marimba, harp 1..3, koto 1..2, taisho koto, banjo, mandolin, guitar 1..3, elec. guitar 1..5, elec. bass, pipe organ 1..5, accordion, bagpipe, oboe, clarinet, flute, shakuhachi, wawa, horn, flugel horn, trumpet, brass ensemble, string ensemble, violin, cello, double bass} selected by keyboard keys + mode switch
  • 18 pedal keyboard preset sounds {organ 1..4, tuba 1..2, bassoon 1..2, wood bass (arco) 1..2, wood bass (pizz.) 1..2, elec. bass 1..2, harpsichord 1..2, piano, synth. chime} selected by pedal keys + mode switch
  • 16 semi- OBS preset rhythms {rock, disco, 16 beat, samba, beguine, swing 2 beat, waltz, slow rock | rock 'n' roll, march, cha-cha-cha, bossa-nova, lating swing, swing 4 beat, jazz waltz, shuffle}
  • versatile accompaniment with each 2 arpeggio & bass variants
  • semi-analogue percussion
  • keyboards with sustain, reverb, vibrato, stereo chorus

The silver metallic painted system was heavy and quite a mess of plugged cables since it lacked a clever multicore or bus concept. Furthermore it was infamous for its flimsy combo amp speakers, those thin pressboard cabinets crumbled apart by rough handling or humidity, which made it not really stage-proof. Not least because it came out during the end of the home organ hype, it was a commercial flop, and so only few demonstration specimen were built.

The Symphonytron had 49 preset sounds (in each keyboard) and the monophonic bass pedal keyboard had 18 keys and preset sounds. The accompaniment unit had 16 preset rhythms. The lower keyboard was also used for accompaniment. The voice of the lower keyboard could be layered with the upper keyboard, and both keyboards also could be detuned and transposed against each other for additional sound variation. With 2 keyboards present, there was an additional harmonizing mode (likely layering both keyboard voices in a special way). You can also combine rhythm with manual chord etc.; the accompaniment was similarly versatile like with Antonelli 2495. The editable polyphonic realtime sequencer recorded all sounds (947 steps in total, 58.5 steps of these only for function select events, all of them shared among up to 4 songs) and could save them to the RAM-Pack RA-2. (Note: Despite the "8" in its name, the Symphonytron 8000 and its CT-8000 keyboard unit had neither a ROM-Pack slot nor key lighting.)

I got on eBay only one CT-8000, the RC-1 and a defective MB-1 in very beaten up condition (full of scratches, dirt and glue residues). Because it lacked the special DIN14 cables, I ordered 3 Atari ST floppy cables, those work perfectly with the RC-1 (with one keyboard it does key split accompaniment with arpeggio, and also the trio mode works). Like with Kawai MS20, when you set a preset sound on the keyboard it plays a short fanfare with it (always the same notes). How ever my MB-1 doesn't work at all (buttons don't respond and it makes sometimes a louder growing digital buzz); possibly the eprom is dead. Also CT-8000 and RC-1 contain (as the only Casio instruments I know) each a soldered eprom; I backed up all 3 to avoid data loss. The multi-chip hardware is quite complex and particularly the RC-1 and MB-1 have several stacked PCBs in their crowded case. Fortunately there are are some pinout marks on them, those may help to decipher them. The MB-1 and CT-8000 both have the same CPU "NEC D8049C 364" (Intel MCS-48, I dumped its firmware) with sound IC "D931C 011". The RC-1 CPU is a "NEC D930G 011". So they are far relatives of the Casio CT-410V hardware class (minus the VCA, but with external ROM) which may help to research hidden functions of its chip set. I don't own the FK-1 pedal board, so I have no clue what is inside.

• 5 months later...

Casio Symphonytron 8000

This belonged to my wife’s Uncle who was in love with organs.  He built several in his lifetime from kits. 

We have the following:

2x keyboard CT-8000

dual keyboard stand CS-200 (with integrated audio mixer)

auto accompaniment unit RC-1

memory unit MB-1 (sequencer, uses RAM-Pack RA-2) - This does not open!

pedal keyboard unit FK-1 

foot volume pedal VP-2

2x speaker combo amp AS-120 (medium) - These are not in good condition!

Keyboard Amplifier Operation Manual (this sheet is in multiple languages)

Foot Volume Pedal Operation Manual (this sheet is in multiple languages) 

Keyboard Stand Assembly Sheet

Operation Manual in English and Spanish (Original Copy) 84 pages

Casio Original Plastic Dust Cover

Original Plexiglass Music Stand

The general condition is good with exception of the speakers and pedal keyboard.  There is some static when playing and in some area more than others.

I am looking to find out more about it.  

On several forums I saw people inquiring about them but they were mostly very old posts.

Thank you in advance,

Steven925

The Symphonytron 8000 is a rare and unique Casio, with allegedly (according to online info.) only 100 ever made. 

It also appears to be based on the similar era MT65/ 68 & CT405 hardware, with similarities in tones and rhythms to those models. The Symphonytron does go further than those with a complete feature set not found in any other models.

Due to its rarity, there's very little info online and only a few videos available of it in action. A couple of Facebook groups I belong to have members who actually own complete Symphonytrons, and there's been very recent discussions about it, including audio demos and hardware analysis. You can find these discussions in the "Crap Keys" group (the "Crap" is an affectionate term by the way), and IIRC a member in the "Casio Freaks" FB group also has one.

I've had a saved Symphonytron search in eBay for many years as I'd love to add one to my collection.  I missed out on one back in 2015, but it turned up for sale just as I was getting ready to emigrate and I was selling off stuff, not looking to take on new stuff that would need to be shipped 1000s of miles away to my new home. I have of course regretted that decision ever since as I've yet to find another come up for sale!

• 6 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 1:26 PM, CYBERYOGI =CO=Windler said:

Yes, I still have the CT-8000, the RC-1 and a defective MB-1. I do not own the pedal board, speakers and 2nd CT-8000 (nor enough space to install a complete system). If anybody has hardware photos or eprom dump of the pedal board FK-1, please upload it.

Here are a few words I wrote about it. 

Casio Symphonytron 8000

A successor of the Casiotone 202 was the similar Casio CT-8000 keyboard (additional stereo chorus, reverb, only 1 vibrato, no speaker), which was part of the ultra- rare modular stage organ Casio Symphonytron 8000. (I read that only 100 specimen were made. I downloaded the manual.) This expandable organ system from 1984 was assembled from the following detachable units:

• 2x keyboard CT-8000
  • dual keyboard stand CS-200 (with integrated audio mixer)
  • auto accompaniment unit RC-1
  • memory unit MB-1 (sequencer, uses RAM-Pack RA-2)
  • pedal keyboard unit FK-1
  • foot volume pedal VP-2
  • 2x sustain pedal SP-1
  • 2x speaker combo amp AS-10 (small) or AS-120 (medium) or AS-1000 (large, with reverb)

A smaller expansion level used only one CT-8000 on the stand CS-100. The CT-8000 could be also used separately with an external amp; there was even a hard carry case HC-11 made for it.

some main features:

• per keyboard 49 fullsize keys
  • polyphony 8 notes per keyboard
  • monophonic pedal bass voice
  • 49 preset sounds {piano 1..4, honky tonk piano, zimbalon, synth. sound, harpsichord 1..2, celesta 1..2, marimba, harp 1..3, koto 1..2, taisho koto, banjo, mandolin, guitar 1..3, elec. guitar 1..5, elec. bass, pipe organ 1..5, accordion, bagpipe, oboe, clarinet, flute, shakuhachi, wawa, horn, flugel horn, trumpet, brass ensemble, string ensemble, violin, cello, double bass} selected by keyboard keys + mode switch
  • 18 pedal keyboard preset sounds {organ 1..4, tuba 1..2, bassoon 1..2, wood bass (arco) 1..2, wood bass (pizz.) 1..2, elec. bass 1..2, harpsichord 1..2, piano, synth. chime} selected by pedal keys + mode switch
  • 16 semi- OBS preset rhythms {rock, disco, 16 beat, samba, beguine, swing 2 beat, waltz, slow rock | rock 'n' roll, march, cha-cha-cha, bossa-nova, lating swing, swing 4 beat, jazz waltz, shuffle}
  • versatile accompaniment with each 2 arpeggio & bass variants
  • semi-analogue percussion
  • keyboards with sustain, reverb, vibrato, stereo chorus

The silver metallic painted system was heavy and quite a mess of plugged cables since it lacked a clever multicore or bus concept. Furthermore it was infamous for its flimsy combo amp speakers, those thin pressboard cabinets crumbled apart by rough handling or humidity, which made it not really stage-proof. Not least because it came out during the end of the home organ hype, it was a commercial flop, and so only few demonstration specimen were built.

The Symphonytron had 49 preset sounds (in each keyboard) and the monophonic bass pedal keyboard had 18 keys and preset sounds. The accompaniment unit had 16 preset rhythms. The lower keyboard was also used for accompaniment. The voice of the lower keyboard could be layered with the upper keyboard, and both keyboards also could be detuned and transposed against each other for additional sound variation. With 2 keyboards present, there was an additional harmonizing mode (likely layering both keyboard voices in a special way). You can also combine rhythm with manual chord etc.; the accompaniment was similarly versatile like with Antonelli 2495. The editable polyphonic realtime sequencer recorded all sounds (947 steps in total, 58.5 steps of these only for function select events, all of them shared among up to 4 songs) and could save them to the RAM-Pack RA-2. (Note: Despite the "8" in its name, the Symphonytron 8000 and its CT-8000 keyboard unit had neither a ROM-Pack slot nor key lighting.)

I got on eBay only one CT-8000, the RC-1 and a defective MB-1 in very beaten up condition (full of scratches, dirt and glue residues). Because it lacked the special DIN14 cables, I ordered 3 Atari ST floppy cables, those work perfectly with the RC-1 (with one keyboard it does key split accompaniment with arpeggio, and also the trio mode works). Like with Kawai MS20, when you set a preset sound on the keyboard it plays a short fanfare with it (always the same notes). How ever my MB-1 doesn't work at all (buttons don't respond and it makes sometimes a louder growing digital buzz); possibly the eprom is dead. Also CT-8000 and RC-1 contain (as the only Casio instruments I know) each a soldered eprom; I backed up all 3 to avoid data loss. The multi-chip hardware is quite complex and particularly the RC-1 and MB-1 have several stacked PCBs in their crowded case. Fortunately there are are some pinout marks on them, those may help to decipher them. The MB-1 and CT-8000 both have the same CPU "NEC D8049C 364" (Intel MCS-48, I dumped its firmware) with sound IC "D931C 011". The RC-1 CPU is a "NEC D930G 011". So they are far relatives of the Casio CT-410V hardware class (minus the VCA, but with external ROM) which may help to research hidden functions of its chip set. I don't own the FK-1 pedal board, so I have no clue what is inside.

I think the bag pipe and accordion collection is also worth checking out.