V1.11 firmware update

AlenK

It improves external part volume "certain operation" guess that clarifies things! I guess I'll have to install it and see what happens. I made my own "firmware update" in another post. It makes the keyboard firmer (added some felt under the keybed) when you bash the keys, that's as good as I can do for now.  Was thinking of replacing plastic knobs with something a little more "flash", just for looks, haven't found anything yet.

Cool, Mike Martin said way back during the second xw clinic vid, he was trying to get casio to do another firmware update. To get this on Halloween is a treat. I feel like I went trick or treating and when I knocked on casio's door they gave me this improvement to my xw. Firmware update's are alway's happily welcome. Any improvement's to the gear is a good thing.     Thank you for this Mr Martin, and casio.  And to everyone at casio and on the forum, have a very happy and safe Halloween.

• Like 1

Incidentally, my Kurzweil has a separate bootloader which is built in separately from the firmware.  Even if power were to go out in the middle of an update it would still allow you to redo the firmware update.

Perhaps Casio engineers should add this feature to the next firmware update?

Gary

Actually firmware upgrades are pretty dicey on a LOT of hardware.  Credit is deserved by Casio that they at least consider a botched firmware update to be a warranty repair and that they extend their warranty to three years if you register upon purchase.

A lot of factory warranties specifically EXCLUDE botched firmware updates from warranty coverage simply because they know it's too great a risk of failure and would bankrupt them.

Likewise, 99% of factory warranties on keyboards are 1 year only and I think my M-Audio venom only came with a 90 day warranty.

How cheezy is that? :P

Gary

• Like 1

Credit is deserved by Casio that they at least consider a botched firmware update to be a warranty repair and that they extend their warranty to three years if you register upon purchase.

Yes, I agree. But you have to send the XW to repair:  some days without enjoying the synth.

What will happen when pass the 3 years warranty? CASIO will no longer do updates in 2015?

That's simply a fact of life with anything you buy.  There are service companies out there who will sell you a third party extended warranty for an extra $100 per year or two.

For most of us it's a question of living with the risk without a safety net. 

Like anything else, if it's worth fixing you spend the money and if not you buy a new one.

We live in a culture today of disposable electronics.

As for firmware updates, Casio will continue to do them as long as the XW remains a viable product, just like every other manufacturer...

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

My advice is not to expect too much input from Mike or Jared for the next two months with the Winter NAMM 2014 show coming up.  If we're lucky they may pop in and scan 5% of the messages, but right now Casio will porbably be cracking the whip to get the next big thing out the door and into the stores.

Gary

And what should WE do? WE - who updated the Firmware and got nice bricked device? I'm not alone here - at least 3 owners have the same issue. Silent Casio is not a good solution. They want to have great sales and market share with new P1&G1 products, that's fine, I understand theit business goals and aiming. From another side, potential buyers should know how Casio treats customers if firmware suddenly kills their toys :)