MZ-2000 Thread

Brad Saucier

Thanks Brad,

I took the manual. That describes the "DSP hold". And it says, that DSP effects bring their Rev and Cho send settings by default with them. But there is nothing written to the Registration memory...

According to the operating instructions, the default parameters for pan, chorus and reverb are loaded when the DSP effect is called up. These can be "subsequently adjusted".

If the parameters are not saved together with the registration settings, the DSP effects are useless because the default settings for reverb and chorus are 50 and 0 for most DSPs.

What kind of bug would that be?

Edited by bimfood

I´d like to share some knowledge:

I've been playing around with it for a few days now. I noticed that the send parameters for reverb and chorus are not saved in the registrations for the DSP effects. Is there a trick, or do I have to readjust the two parameters every time I call them up?

@Monaro answerd on Youtube:

The master chorus and reverb thong is really weird. Its like that on many of Casio's keyboards, even the mzx500. Sometimes it seems to save it and other times it just won't. Some of the insert distortion fx won't save their values either so as you found, you have to enter the correct value each time. Other a bit hit and miss with the fx and how they save in registrations.

In synth mode, a pan value can be set for each of the four layers. However, the samples do not move in the stereo image. Does the stereo function have to be activated first?

After some trial and error with the stereo layers in the synth section, I found the point: The preset for the DSP effect within the sound must be set to off. You may have to set it to "Stereo Thru" once in the meantime and then back to "Off". In the DSP effects of the combination, a stereo DSP must be selected for the DSPs or it must be set to Thru. It's wonderful how much spatiality the sound gets by distributing the layers in the stereo field.

It's strange that Casio delivered the MZ 2000 (and also the MZ-X 500) with such weak preset sounds. The fact that the DSP effects are switched on in the preset registrations, but are set to Thru, is also moronic. What the Casio team is doing is bordering on self-sabotage.  😆

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

My MZ-2000 takes forever to power up or turn off. I have to hold it down and try several times to turn it off. Someone mentioned that it may need a new battery of some kind? If this is the problem, does anyone know where I would buy a battery like that?

The battery is soldered to the main board, buried deep inside the keyboard.  If I recall correctly, it's a CR2032 tabbed lithium coin cell battery.  You can find them online easily.  That battery only has an impact on stored user data like tones and rhythms.  It shouldn't have any impact on power up.  Your power button may need cleaning or repairs.  Keep in mind it's a timed power off button, meaning it requires holding down for about a second to turn it off.  That's normal as it's designed to prevent accidental powering off from hitting the button briefly.  The power button is recessed for the same reason.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2020 at 11:07 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

MZ-2000 alert. There is one on eBay right now-a little too expensive to add to my Casio collection-but looks in perfect condition. Tempting. Buyer is asking over 400 US dollars with shipping.

There seems to be a dealer on Facebook that buys them up and then resells them rather quickly. They'll usually have things you're looking for if you ask. (it's a professional dealer)

On 1/5/2024 at 11:15 PM, bimfood said:

Mhhh... 30 years later, in 2024, the diskdrive still works 🤩

Same with the WK-1800 I have, I just loaded all the expansion tones from a floppy to it. It's relatively fast for a floppy drive, too.