Video Files on Forum ×

MZ-2000 Thread

Brad Saucier

I've listened to the clip a number of times, but can't make up my mind which is which. I'm slightly leaning towards keyboard one being the PX5S simply because it has slightly more depth in the sound. Keyboard two has more of a vibrato/ chorus effect, which makes it slightly harder to focus on the pure tone. Either way, it shows how good the MZ2000 is by the way it can stand up to a flagship board a decade newer!

• Like 1

Before I give the answer I'll wait for a few more responses and also add this new sample to the mix. 

Which one is this?   PX5s or MZ-2000?  (This is just one clip using 1 of the 2 keyboards)

attachicon.gifSAWonder.mp3

Now I am COMPLETELY stumped!

The problem with many modern keyboards as that they can sound so varied. Unlike a few years (decades) ago, when it was so easy to pick out synths like Moogs/ ARPs/ Oberheims etc. as each manufacturer/ model had very distinctive sonic characteristics. Now days, much harder.

As such, I really have no idea! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've checked two files and I liked more first one. I see it's PX5S? But the  the piano tune I liked even more. Exceptional.

Last time I managed to restore my hammer key controller CME-UF8 and now my MZ-2000 has better  keys by MIDI. It makes difference. It's also good  to connect  an expression pedal to MZ. I couldn't get original one ,so year ago I converted purchased in music shop  simple volume pedal for vocalist to do  job of  options from expression pedal menu. I learned to controll MZ expression by CME -UF8  "control  pedal out". This is  even faster way of switching this menu  functions. It can be switched by controller MIDI communicates for expression pedal ; 11 for volume expression, 76,77  for DSP 1 and 78,79  for DSP 2 parameters.

PS. Hmm.... who did this piano tune?

• Like 1

Hi Mike.,

Who did the piano tune?  Do you mean the sound files I posted?  I made them.  

Expression pedal....I never did get one for the MZ.   I wanted to but got distracted with too many other projects and never got around to it.  You did give me an idea with those midi control numbers though.  I can use the px-5s sliders to send additional dsp control to the mz beyond the 2 parameters that are available on the mz. The midi implementation manual outlines all of the possible dsp controls in the mz.  What's available over midi is way beyond what's on the front panel. 

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/downloads/emi/MZ2000_MIDI_E.pdf

Also, there's a way over midi to command the MZ to bulk dump it's memory contents to a computer over the midi cable but I don't know enough about midi to know how to do this.  

And good job on the key repair!   I have some TV remote control buttons that could use some conductive paint on their buttons.  Casio seems to be using more durable conductive coatings on their rubber buttons.  As old and as well played as my MZ is it still works great.  Not a sign of trouble. 

Hi Mike.,

Who did the piano tune?  Do you mean the sound files I posted?  I made them.  

Expression pedal....I never did get one for the MZ.   I wanted to but got distracted with too many other projects and never got around to it.  You did give me an idea with those midi control numbers though.  I can use the px-5s sliders to send additional dsp control to the mz beyond the 2 parameters that are available on the mz. The midi implementation manual outlines all of the possible dsp controls in the mz.  What's available over midi is way beyond what's on the front panel. 

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/downloads/emi/MZ2000_MIDI_E.pdf

Also, there's a way over midi to command the MZ to bulk dump it's memory contents to a computer over the midi cable but I don't know enough about midi to know how to do this.  

And good job on the key repair!   I have some TV remote control buttons that could use some conductive paint on their buttons.  Casio seems to be using more durable conductive coatings on their rubber buttons.  As old and as well played as my MZ is it still works great.  Not a sign of trouble. 

I mean the background piano after two main files.  Is it played by You?

I am also not experienced in MIDI. I use it only to connect keyboards together. What  I expect is that for this deeper commanding is required connection to computer and any specialized MIDI programm. . Or may be the virtual sound machine equipped with MIDI interface. But watch out - problems may come if any parameter cannot be reseted by standard resetting..  First problem is MZ has PC/Mac  connection with unusual plug :(   I had checked standard  MIDI to USB converter ROMIO/ESI used before for dumping/loading  data to CTK-900/WK3700 with  CASIO Music Data Management Software   - no result.  USB stick device is good option  to store in computer or just keep in it...

I agree Casio Japan does good quality rubbers but in CTK-900 produced in China dashboard controlls rubber gave up 80% within 7 years. CME quality? :) Strangely no one key failed. And as expected service in Warsaw was only deeply surprised. Now I did all dashboard contacts CTK-900 painted and works at touch. Some guys advice to stick new rubber plates to existing - I tred it but then height of rubber rises and must be cut - it makes a mess with jump of buttons. I find my idea accurate and with no permanent damage.. Styil waiting for failure as silicon rubber  sticks to  paint badly but its only vertical force With 88 keys in CME still no  trouble with any.

I mean the background piano after two main files.  Is it played by You?

Oh I see what you mean.  Those songs that soundcloud is playing after mine.  No, that's not me.  I think that is Mike Martin from Casio America playing that on the new PX-5S. The PX does sound good.  It sounds even better in person than it does on soundcloud.  Much better piano than the MZ.  

First problem is MZ has PC/Mac  connection with unusual plug :(  

I use this with the MZ.  E-mu Xtab.  The MZ's computer host plug is outdated and useless.  2011513115153552_pdt_xmidi1x1tab.png

I had checked standard  MIDI to USB converter ROMIO/ESI used before for dumping/loading  data to CTK-900/WK3700 with  CASIO Music Data Management Software   - no result.  

I think Casio's software only works over the usb ports on their keyboards.  Not sure if this applies to all of them but it does make sense. 

Some guys advice to stick new rubber plates to existing - I tred it but then height of rubber rises and must be cut - it makes a mess with jump of buttons. I find my idea accurate and with no permanent damage.. Styil waiting for failure as silicon rubber  sticks to  paint badly but its only vertical force With 88 keys in CME still no  trouble with any.

I think you did it the best way.  Good job!

Oh I see what you mean.  Those songs that soundcloud is playing after mine.  No, that's not me.  I think that is Mike Martin from Casio America playing that on the new PX-5S. The PX does sound good.  It sounds even better in person than it does on soundcloud.  Much better piano than the MZ.  

I use this with the MZ.  E-mu Xtab.  The MZ's computer host plug is outdated and useless.  2011513115153552_pdt_xmidi1x1tab.png

I think Casio's software only works over the usb ports on their keyboards.  Not sure if this applies to all of them but it does make sense. 

I think you did it the best way.  Good job!

Now I am puzzled again with PC connection :wacko:  I see You used similar  MIDI/USB converter  connecting  with MIDI in/out. That's what I was trying  using Casio Management  Software to recognize, but with no respond. What PC/Mac software recognized  MZ in Your case?

I'm thinking we will see a real show stopper of a Casio in the not so distant future.  The guys in Tokyo have too much pride not to show off every once in a while. The MZ-2000 was one of those moments.  I'm glad I was paying attention back in 2000 when they unleashed the MZ.  It taught me to keep my eyes on the Casio line-up. At any moment they can drop the big one.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all casio members

I recently bought the Mz-2000 and i find it extremely difficult to use it for what i want. I thought you guyz might help me since i can not find very much information on the internet.

First of all i would like to know how i can split my keyboard and on the left hand to play only the chords i want for the auto accompaniament  and on the right hand to play with an instrument like in most arragners .  My problem is that when i play with auto accompaniament, i can hear the voice of the instrument i choose , over the auto accompaniament.

Second, how can i change variations of accompaniaments without changing the rythm ? Each variation of a rythm has an accompaniament of its own and can not be changed ?

thanks

Welcome Brees21, .

Question 1)

The short answer - Put it in FINGERED mode.  Also, make sure the LOWER 1 and LOWER 2 button lamps are off.  

The longer explanation - You have 4 zones on the MZ.   2 Upper and 2 lower.  You'll see the buttons labeled UPPER 1,2 and LOWER 1,2 for tones. Whenever the LOWER tone(s) are on, the UPPER and LOWER zones are split at some point on the keyboard .  Press the SPLIT button and then press any key to choose the split point.   To turn off split mode, just turn off the LOWER tones using the buttons.  Whenever Casio chord or Fingered chord mode are selected, the chord section will occupy the LOWER (tone) zone even when the lower tones are off. However, the LOWER tones can be turned on while chord mode active.  You can set the split point between the chord section and upper zone by using the split button as you do for tones.  Full range chord mode causes the chord section to occupy both the LOWER and UPPER tone(s) zones and the tones play along with the chord.

Question 2)

I'm a little confused by the question.   Variations are designed to vary the rhythm for playing different sections of the same tune.  This is a feature.  Do you want the drum pattern to remain the same on all 4 variations?   You can edit any pattern using the pattern sequencer.  For example, You can copy all of variation 1 over to 2,3 and 4.  You cannot however, copy just the drum part from variation 1 over to 2,3 and 4.  I don't see why you would want to do this.  Have you tried interactive accomp?  It additionally varies the rhythm of each variation based on how hard you play the chords.   Also, you can create a pattern sequence entirely from scratch using the pattern sequencer or convert midi files to patterns using song studio. 

Μy second question is that, are they any variables on auto accompaniments without changing the drum rythm ? or shall i have to programm them from the sequencer from the very beggining ? are any sounds, rythms available for downloading. The instrument has so great feeling and potential and so little i can find about it on the internet.
Thanks guyz for the advice

Sorry, there's really no way to reuse just the drum part of one variation in another variation of the same pattern sequence.  You can, however, copy all parts of one variation over to another variation.  Also, keep in mind that the drum part can be deleted in any variation and re-sequenced from scratch.  

Μy second question is that, are they any variables on auto accompaniments without changing the drum rythm ? or shall i have to programm them from the sequencer from the very beggining ? are any sounds, rythms available for downloading. The instrument has so great feeling and potential and so little i can find about it on the internet.

Thanks guyz for the advice

Not sure if You ask about new variation with no changing drum rhytm (variation is to given rhytm) or chords  variation with it's perc line unchanged. If second than:

Althought the preprogrammed variations with percussion rhytm preserved are not provided - (any time we change variation, precussion is altered to new variation), you may alter chords in the same variation   by programs, ESP, volume, octaves, EQ  and so on  part within  mixer pages . Such quick but simple variations are provided by "combination" button where part on/off has 4 levels.

Rgds..

I quickly looked on the internet to find any downloadable content for the Mz 2000. I only found patterns and rythms. I couldn't find any sounds. Do you know any place to donwload sounds? Is the mz 2000 compatible with other keyboards , so i can download sounds for the other compatible keyboards. How can i convert these sounds into mz 2000 ?

thanks again

I quickly looked on the internet to find any downloadable content for the Mz 2000. I only found patterns and rythms. I couldn't find any sounds. Do you know any place to donwload sounds? Is the mz 2000 compatible with other keyboards , so i can download sounds for the other compatible keyboards. How can i convert these sounds into mz 2000 ?

thanks again

I never tried.  It seems to me better  to use synth function to adopt factory sounds.