Video Files on Forum ×

MZ-2000 Thread

Brad Saucier

is there any compatibility with other arrangers on sound tones ?

No.   MZ tone files are unique.  No other Casio has the same architecture.  Download this one I made and try.  It's the only tone on the interent for the MZ.   I have more to upload if you like. http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/333-harpsi2-user-tone-casio-mz-2000/

Or, just do as Mike suggest.  Hit the synth button.  The MZ is also a powerful synthesizer.  One tone can have up to 4 layers.  2 tones can be stacked for 8 layers.   Start with raw synth waveforms or use factory tones as a base. 

Do you have the 2 factory floppy disk that comes with the MZ?  One of those has some extra tones and patterns and registrations.   

For pattern sequences, the MZ can convert Roland and Technics styles to patterns and don't forget the song studio can convert midi files to patterns.  

OK.  I will start to collect my sounds.  I don't think I have any pad sounds.  IDK  Note,  You'll need to ZIP your files before uploading. The forum only allows certain file types.   ZIP is one of them.   Also,  upload in the OTHER category where my current harpsi tone is located in the downloads section.  I'll see if we can get an MZ sub-category added if we get a large number of files. 

• 2 weeks later...

Before I give the answer I'll wait for a few more responses and also add this new sample to the mix. 

Which one is this?   PX5s or MZ-2000?  (This is just one clip using 1 of the 2 keyboards)

attachicon.gifSAWonder.mp3

I like here the MZ-2000 sound more then PX5S (maybe its the programming) but it sound slightly choppy on the lows while the MZ-2000 more cleaner.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've been scratching my head about the mz

Loading disc registrations.

I've got the disc to load a registration.

But where does it load to.

I can't find it to play the new registration.

Where does it load to so I can access the settings.

It tells you how to load in the instructions but nothing about how to play the loaded registration.

HI, I looked and found a battery which was my choice one of two  - both had the same diameter -this one is CR2450 and  for me as I remember was looking promising also. The only problem  is that original has attached leads and is pemanently soldered to main board. If that is solved then any 3V lithium battery will do.

Rgds.

I don't own an MZ-2000 (that thing is huge!), but if your Keyboard contains a soldered 3V lithium button cell, search for a broken PC mainboard. In my Amiga memory expansion card was a soldered dead 3V battery (orange Renata block, for system clock) that I replaced with the CMOS battery holder of the dead PC mainboard.

Danger!: Do not confuse polarity, else it may destroy keyboard ICs! Because lithium batteries do explode like blazing fireworks rockets when overheated, better do not try to desolder the old battery but nip off the contacts with pliers and solder the empty battery holder into place.

If you insist on keeping the memory contents (midi sysex dump would be better), it will be complicated because you would need a temporary supply voltage source fed to the SRAM (if wired parallel, voltage not higher than the old 3V battery or it will detonate into your face) and the difficult part is not to short it during soldering. (remember: During repair, 50% of all short circuits are made with the solder tin spool... ;))

The MZ-2000 service manual is on ElektroTanya.

• 2 months later...

Hi. Just joined your forum. I sold my MZ2000 earlier in the year to buy a M-AUDIO controller to use with my Roland JV2080 & then bought the vintage synth card for it & it wasn't as good as expected. I still miss a lot of the synth sounds & the adjustability of the MZ2000, not to mention the screen so I'm buying it back. One of the reasons for selling it was that I couldn't get a user manual for it. Does anyone know where I could get one please? The other reason was the size as it was restricting my access to my jv2080 & other rack gear.

Hi. Just joined your group. I sold my MZ2000 earlier in the year to buy a M-AUDIO controller to use with my Roland JV2080 & then bought the vintage synth card for it. I still miss a of the synth sounds & the adjustability of the MZ2000 so I'm buying it back. One of the reasons for selling it was that I couldn't get a user manual for it. Does anyone know where I could get one please? The other reason was the size as it was restricting my access to my jv2080 & other rack gear.

• Like 1

Hi. Just joined your group. I sold my MZ2000 earlier in the year to buy a M-AUDIO controller to use with my Roland JV2080 & then bought the vintage synth card for it. I still miss a of the synth sounds & the adjustability of the MZ2000 so I'm buying it back. One of the reasons for selling it was that I couldn't get a user manual for it. Does anyone know where I could get one please? The other reason was the size as it was restricting my access to my jv2080 & other rack gear.

• Like 1

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Brad, this is great to have an MZ2000 thread. I'd heard a lot of good things about this rare, flagship Casio though I'd never seen one for real. Whilst browsing Casio keyboards on Ebay recently one came up, it was collection only and about 80 miles from London (a good thing as it's rare to get a 'pick up only' bargain in London). In short, I got it for £106, which is an absolute steal considering they were over £1000 new. I've only had it a couple of months so have yet to fully get to grips with it (plus I have my XW's to play with also). However, pairing oscillators together and mixing sounds, and using the synth section it has come up with some surprisingly powerful patches. Even the filter seems a little sweeter than that on the XW to my ears. 

Need to get my head round storing 'registrations' and fully understanding how to save sounds will all parameters intact, plus whether there is any way of transferring information via a computer rather than floppies. It seems to be a massively underrated board that has huge potential. Hopefully a few more MZ owners will join in here!

Wow! You mean that the MZ2000 was better than $1500 USD at the time of release?

• 4 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2013 at 2:20 PM, Chas said:

Brad, this is great to have an MZ2000 thread. I'd heard a lot of good things about this rare, flagship Casio though I'd never seen one for real. Whilst browsing Casio keyboards on Ebay recently one came up, it was collection only and about 80 miles from London (a good thing as it's rare to get a 'pick up only' bargain in London). In short, I got it for £106, which is an absolute steal considering they were over £1000 new. I've only had it a couple of months so have yet to fully get to grips with it (plus I have my XW's to play with also). However, pairing oscillators together and mixing sounds, and using the synth section it has come up with some surprisingly powerful patches. Even the filter seems a little sweeter than that on the XW to my ears. 

Need to get my head round storing 'registrations' and fully understanding how to save sounds will all parameters intact, plus whether there is any way of transferring information via a computer rather than floppies. It seems to be a massively underrated board that has huge potential. Hopefully a few more MZ owners will join in here!

Wasn't the original MSRP of the MZ about 1,700 or so USD?

• 10 months later...

*KICK!*

In The Netherlands they used to sell it for 1500 euro's which i thought was insane, especially since it had to compete with the PSR-9000.

Recently i did do sóme research for the keyboard (And i'm seriously tempted to buy one) and it's an insane machine with features that the Yamaha didn't have, and sounds that the Yamaha didn't have.

Oh, and i also made a video in which i tried to explain the ZPI chip today, i'm no expert, but i felt that atleast some of the stuff i said made sense :D

ZPI Explanation

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2014 at 2:39 PM, Brad Saucier said:

No.   MZ tone files are unique.  No other Casio has the same architecture.  Download this one I made and try.  It's the only tone on the interent for the MZ.   I have more to upload if you like. http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/333-harpsi2-user-tone-casio-mz-2000/

What about the styles? Are they compatible in any way shape or form with other brands or other Casio models?