Video Files on Forum ×

Monitor Speakers vs Amplifier. Need advice.

Peter

Since my old hi-fi amplifier suffered an "accident" this summer, I'm looking to buy some decent sound source for my XW-P1. Well, for max 200 euros. 

Now the question is should I buy two monitor speakers or an amplifier? I need something to get me a nice quality sound and be portable, in case me and some of my electric guitar playing friends decide to play something together. And yes I found that there are some combo monitor/amps like the Roland CM-30. What do you suggest?

Roland CM-30 Roland CM-30
  • Like 1

I have a pair of CM-30's I use mostly as PC monitors.., but when opportunities arise.. I can grab both

of them, throw them in a gym/gear bag,and have a decent little light P.A. system. They're just so dang

convenient for impromptu stuff like that, when you never know how many inputs or configuration you'll

need. And they're mic stand mountable. The linked pair is the way to go though. One........ not so much.

Try find something with some bass ommff. just recently added a subwoofer to my home setup, a pair of Edirol MA15D's. Could not believe the difference.

Even nearfields need a sub now and then to really get the bass frequencies to come through.

When I am just playing the Sub is on, off for mixing except as a check that i haven't overdone anything in the low frequencies.

• 4 weeks later...

I am just starting out with keyboard/piano but have been playing guitar for some time. I am getting monitors for my PX330. Stereo sound is key for things like stereo-recorded piano tones (some piano tones sound especially bad mono), or effects panning R/L, etc. 5" or 6" is a decent size for home use, 8" is typically the next size up and is a bit fuller sounding. 8" seems big for small home/studio use.

The speakers that Happyrat suggested are pretty nice. They are in my top 2 or 3 after listening to a bunch. They make a 6" speaker which is nice, most brands go from 5" to 8".

I personally like the JBL, as I feel they don't color the music at all. They don't sound as warm as many of the others, but I think the others actually add warmth. I was able to hear a lot more detail out of the JBL's than others.

JBL has the L305 out now for $120 (USD) each. I don't know how that converts, but they are an amazing value. My other choice would be Mackie.

You can always add a sub or an amp. My approach (with everything musical) is to start with the clearest, highest fidelity sound I can get whenever I can. You can always add 'dirt' but cleaning up dirty sound is never as easy.

In my duo we use Mackie SRM150 they are incredibly loud and have a built in mixer,but no effects.

We have used them on gigs as a stand alone PA.

And when you consider that you can hold them in the palm of your hand they are amazing !

If money is tight then Behringer also do a version called Eurolive B205D which by all accounts are pretty decent and around half the price of the Mackies ( there is a comparison on you tube somewhere)

When I go to London I often see keyboard players with their stage pianos on a pull along trolley, with a pair of these strapped to the top travelling to gigs on the Tube.

It's all a matter of your own personal preference.  If you're creating a mix for recording and want an idea of how it will sound to the listener then the monitors are a good idea.  If it's only for your own enjoyment then use whatever you prefer.

Personally I can't stand using headphones.  The acoustic isolation actually makes me physically nauseous after a while.

Gary

• Like 1

Occasionally I want somebody to hear what I play. And my headphones are squeezing my ears. I think I will go with the Roland CM-30. It some kind of monitor/amp hybrid. It is compact and portable, and I don't need to worry how I position it like with the monitors, just put it on the ground. There will be no stereo though.

And this is what I plan for the next year: my GF will buy an electric guitar and a Guitar-to-USB interface, so she connects her guitar to her laptop with guitar amp software, then she connects her laptop to my CM-30. So we will play through only one amplifier. Will that work?

Personally I can't stand using headphones. The acoustic isolation actually makes me physically nauseous after a while.

Gary

I have to use my Senheiser headphones a lot, basically so the Wife can watch the TV in peace and not to disturb the neighbours late at night ( I live in a terraced house ) But headphones give you a false sense of sound.

What sounds great through them can sound terrible through an amp, when playing live.

Unfortunately I do not own the Mackies, they belong to my partner in crime in the duo, but they are brilliant mini PA speakers and are superb as monitors,I would love a set to hook my rig up to at home.

When you share online, your music is most likely to listened to on a tablet/laptop/ computer speakers OR earbuds / "can" headphones.. When I do a final mixdown I listen to the piece through all of those to fine tune the mix.   When I am putting together stuff for live use, then I use the PA or amp I plan on using for the event.