AUDIO IN......how to do??

Luciano Almeida

You have to connect the music player in the MIC. You have to access the Solo Synth modeHe uses Solo Synth tone P: 9-9 Basic&Mic IN.

1.- Solo Synth Mode.
2.- EDIT.
3.- OSC Block> Ent.
4.- BLK EXT.
5.- OSC On/Off [on]

Have a nice day and thanks. :D

PS: The AUDIO IN is only to play external music players.

Edited by David
  • Like 1

If you are inputting from an MP3 player or iPad (as in the video) the MIC input is not the best one to use. The sound will distort very badly unless you turn the MIC VOLUME knob on the back panel beside the input down very low (and even then). It is better to use the INST IN input. If you are using a microphone (a dynamic type that does not require phantom power, of course) then the MIC VOLUME knob will have to be set reasonably high.

Other things to check:

Press MIXER button. Press PART - three times. If you want to hear the external audio other than through the solo synth ensure "Part" is "On", "Volume" is a high value, "N. Threshold" is zero (for now), "N. Release" is zero (for now). The latter two parameters concern operation of the noise gate, which you shouldn't need to mess with yet.

As stated, the XW-P1 is not a sampler so it only processes input audio in real time. The video is a little bit misleading since it does not explain (but does show) that he is playing back the audio he just recorded into the iPad as a loop.

UPDATE: Tried a microphone tonight and the MP3 output from my phone. Both worked as expected. Because of the lo-fi 10-bit input spec on the ADC I recommend a Noise Threshold of at least "001" (IIRC "020" is the default) and a Noise Release of "002." Those settings eliminated most of the hissing noise.

BUT...I did encounter very odd behavior when I tried to edit some of the solo-synth tones. I could not get any sound from the external input through the "external" oscillator block (i.e., turning the EXT oscillator "on" and hitting keys resulted in complete silence instead of hearing the audio). Other solo-synth tones behaved normally. So far as I can tell the parameters I used were the same. A mystery...

PS. When it works the external oscillator makes human voices sound like Alvin the Chipmunk with throat cancer, at least on my XW-P1. Pitch shifting without changing the time scale is really hard to do in a natural way. It requires spectral resynthesis or granular techniques. Obviously Casio is not using any such algorithm.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

One more thing worth mentioning.  Mic input will only play when hitting a key.  Not a vocoder but similar mechanics to activate the sound.

You mean if you route it through the solo synth as the external oscillator. If you route it through the mixer and then into a normal DSP effect or into the filter and DSP effect of the solo synth, you don't have to hit a key to hear it.
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

" If you route it through the mixer and then into a normal DSP effect or into the filter and DSP effect of the solo synth, you don't have to hit a key to hear it."

ok what are the steps to do that? I got it so that I can here sounds when I press a key but I have no idea of all the terms you are using above. Any chance of a more step by step walkthrough?