Help! convert CMS format to editable format (WK-6500)

From what I could see on Google, Casio makes a program that converts from MIDI to CMS but not the other way around.

My advice to you would be to use a computer based sequencer like Cakewalk to record your music in MIDI format in the first place and then you can edit them to your heart's content.

Gary

If you don't like the idea of recording from the keyboard's Song Sequencer to your PC DAW, the keyboard itself will save (convert) CMS (User) song files to SMF (.mid) files onto the SD Card.  See Item 5 at the top of the left hand column on Page 105 of the manual.  While this was provided, primarily, for exporting files that you have recorded with the Song Sequencer to SMF (.mid) format, if you have CMS files that you have received from other sources (friends, colleagues, downloads, etc), just copy them into the MUSICDAT folder on the SD Card, load them into the User Song slots (up to 5), bring them up, one at a time with the Song Sequencer as though you were going to edit them, and then just save them back to the SD Card as SMF (.mid) files.  Bear in mind, that once a file is saved as an SMF, it is no longer editable with the Song Sequencer.  The Song Sequencer will only load CMS files for editing, so once you have done the conversion, be sure to keep the original CMS file, if you intend to ever edit it on the keyboard.  The "conversion" process automatically extracts any data (Auto Accompaniment and Rhythm) recorded into the common System Track (Track 17) into individual tracks for proper editing with DAW software.  Once the "conversion" is done, you can just physically port the SD Card to your PC and and access it directly with your DAW.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks bros..I'll try both options and tell you the results.

From what I could see on Google, Casio makes a program that converts from MIDI to CMS but not the other way around.

My advice to you would be to use a computer based sequencer like Cakewalk to record your music in MIDI format in the first place and then you can edit them to your heart's content.

Gary

If you don't like the idea of recording from the keyboard's Song Sequencer to your PC DAW, the keyboard itself will save (convert) CMS (User) song files to SMF (.mid) files onto the SD Card.  See Item 5 at the top of the left hand column on Page 105 of the manual.  While this was provided, primarily, for exporting files that you have recorded with the Song Sequencer to SMF (.mid) format, if you have CMS files that you have received from other sources (friends, colleagues, downloads, etc), just copy them into the MUSICDAT folder on the SD Card, load them into the User Song slots (up to 5), bring them up, one at a time with the Song Sequencer as though you were going to edit them, and then just save them back to the SD Card as SMF (.mid) files.  Bear in mind, that once a file is saved as an SMF, it is no longer editable with the Song Sequencer.  The Song Sequencer will only load CMS files for editing, so once you have done the conversion, be sure to keep the original CMS file, if you intend to ever edit it on the keyboard.  The "conversion" process automatically extracts any data (Auto Accompaniment and Rhythm) recorded into the common System Track (Track 17) into individual tracks for proper editing with DAW software.  Once the "conversion" is done, you can just physically port the SD Card to your PC and and access it directly with your DAW.

Regards!

Marcelo

• Thanks 1

Thanks bros..I'll try both options and tell you the results.

Gary

• 1 year later...

Thank you Gary for your answer.

Unfortunately, the generated format cannot be transferred to the CTK-7000 using the data manager; only CMS files can.

Actually (cf my other post yesterday), I was looking to a way to transfer midi files to my keyboard through the USB link instead of constantly swapping my SD card between PC and keyboard.
A .MID conversion to .CMS would allow me to transfer songs to the keyboard.

Roger

• 4 years later...

Sadly, the "conversion" program discussed above was totally misunderstood, at that time, by most of the respondents, who were discussing it.  There is no, and has never been, a Casio "authored" program for converting SMF (.MID) files to the Casio proprietary CMS format.  The CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX model Song Sequencers will load a CMS file, and from there, convert it to an SMF (.MID) file on the SD Card.  There is no, and has never been, a software program that will do this conversion external to the keyboard.  It can only be done, internally, by the keyboards' operating system.

The "conversion" program, addressed by the link, posted above by "Null", does, in fact, still work, and is a Windows based program for converting  SMF (.MID) files to the Casio proprietary CM2 file format, useable by certain LK (Lighted Key) "Learning Series" models, the WK-22X and WK- 24X (76 key) and certain of their CTK (61 key) "Learning Series" counterparts, the CDP-100, 200, 300 models and certain AP models, which offer "Learning" features.  The CM2 file format is synonymous with Casio keyboards that offer "Learning" features.  There are no, and have never been any, computer based programs that convert from CM2 to SMF (.MID), nor convert between the Casio CM2 and CMS formats.

I was unable to locate any content, related to this topic, that was contributed by the above-mentioned member "ginkiter".

- T -

• Love 1

Thanks, Brad!  I have amended my comments above to state that there is no, and never has been, a Casio "authored" program for conversion of SMF to CMS format, as that is what was specifically being discussed, when this thread was started, even though the original poster was actually looking for a CMS to SMF converter.  What they were mistakenly discussing was the Casio program for converting SMF to CM2 format, which is still an active and currently downloadable program.  This monster seems to rear its head every 6 to 9 months or so, here and on other forums, and keeps the confusion going.  If there was a privately authored program for conversion of SMF to CMS, it is really too bad that we have lost access to it, as I think there are a lot of Casio owners who would find it very useful.

- T -

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

This file is an .exe file. I am very nervous about directly downloading any .exe (executable) from a repository I am not familiar with.  Most email programs do not even allow .exe files to be attached, as very often, these are viruses, trojans, spyware or some other dangerous to your computer software. Anybody else willing to take the chance?  I'm not, unless casio_style, you can give some assurance this is safe, instead of commanding me to "use it". Anybody willing to run this through your virus scanner? And who exactly has created this program?  Have you, or any software developer you can reference this to? I'll pass for now, and i would certainly like to try/test such a program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 14/3/2020 at 6:25, casio_style said:

Eliminar este archivo para que no piensen. Lo que le ofrezco a alguien algunos virus.
Y de todos los modos, ¿cómo te imaginas que el convertidor midi para Casio no es un archivo exe?
Pero si alguien necesita este convertidor de archivos midi para Casio, escriba mensajes privados.

Hola amigo he visto que has publicado que se puede convertir midi a CMS por lo que me interés si pudieras enviarme el archivo .exe estaría agradecido de antemano muchas gracias 

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2019 at 5:41 PM, Masalladeorion said:

Hi, ginkiter:

The link does not work. I am very interested in mid / cms conversion. Can you please hang it up again?

Thanks

i uploaded my project to github. https://github.com/ginkiter/CASIO-CMS-TO-MIDI-CONVERTER/  . You can try to use it . It is not finished. I dont know is someone  interested in it now.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I checked it works. The program may be of interest to those who do not want or do not know how to edit a midi file on a computer and are used to working in a synthesizer sequencer. Moreover, on a synthesizer, you can immediately check the sound, after changing instruments on the midi parts, in general, you can quickly improve and adjust the overall sound of the composition and save it later for yourself. Thanks.
Of course, the question is not entirely for this thread of the topic, but I will ask, so as not to create a new topic: could you write a program for converting midi into phrase pad files, for CASIO CTX 3000?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Скачал с сайта конвертер: https://github.com/ginkiter/CASIO-CMS-TO-MIDI-CONVERTER

CASIO-CMS-TO-MIDI-CONVERTER-master.zip  

Не понял пока как с ним работать.  

P.S. В файле "files.txt" изменил путь к файлу: "P:\cmsconv\newfile.csm"  на "E:\DOWNLOAD\ALL\CASIO-CMS-TO-MIDI-CONVERTER-master\CASIO-CMS-TO-MIDI-CONVERTER-master\CMSTOMIDI\newfile.csm" , т.е. в программу.

Вирусов НЕТ! Макросов НЕТ! Проверено!

Edited by hant7
Уточнение.