Video Files on Forum ×

hello all...i'm new to this forum...I have the Casio LK230 keyboard and I am trying to figure out how to get my music to play from windows media player to my keyboard. I have the midi cable from the piano to the computer...there is a video on YouTube of a guy that has the same keyboard (LK230) and he can get it playing...but there are people asking him how he did it and he won't answer...any help out there would be appreciated...i'm wondering if he used any other software or something that he's not letting on...http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=play+midi+from+computer+to+lk230&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=D59706B2BDA98AA6EDADD59706B2BDA98AA6EDAD

• Like 1

I have NO opinions about youtube since Google instituted mandatory Google+ membership for all of their services.  In fact I deleted my gmail and all other google accounts earlier this week.  :angry:

Personally I have no use for a search engine company that requires me to join a social media group for the sake of data mining. :angry:

I have been actively exploring alternative search engines and video sites all week long. :angry:

Gary

hi...so ...do you think...as I do...that the person on YouTube is hiding the fact that he's using other software and not divulging...???

I'm confident he is using Media Player to play those MIDI files...

You can configure Media Player to output MIDI to USB instead of the soundcard...

It may be a little different depending on your version of WMP, but this is the basic steps:

1. Open  options 

- if on now playing screen open list then click most right icon, then more options

- If on library screen right click on toolbar then, tools -> options

2. Click devices tab

3. Double click speaker item from list to open speaker properties

4. Select your Casio keyboard

Cheers!

• Like 1

Woody

I just tried what you have been trying with two different Casio boards and a Roland board, as well as my Edirol USB-5-PIN-DIN MIDI adapter on both my Vista desktop and my Win-7 laptop.  Sonar, Cubase, Ableton, and Band-in-a-Box, as well as Windows Device Manager, "see" all of these devices on both machines, but Media Player does not "see" any of them on either machine.  Neither does the "Sound" setup in Control Panel.  At first, I thought the problem might be the built-in "basic" Class Compliant drivers that the Casio's use, so I tried the Roland, which uses separately installed "high-level" drivers from Roland.  Then I realized that the Edirol USB-5-PIN DIN adapter, that also uses "high-level" drivers, is connected to the desktop all the time, and neither Media Player nor Sound setup have ever "seen" it.  So it is apparently not a Class Compliant driver problem.  This is exactly why I got away from Media Player many years ago when the Redmond Raiders decided to "lock" Media Player's output to the MS Wavetable Synth's input.  The only way to redirect that in Vista was with a Registry hack.  I downloaded a program called MIDI-Picker, which is really just a Registry hacker with a GUI interface, but even it is only successful in making the redirection about half the time,  When it does work, the connection will often drop back to the Wavetable Synth right in the middle of a song playback.  These days, whenever I get a new computer, one of the first things I do is get online and download Real Player and WinAmp and use those as my audio and video players, and I always use one of my DAW's as a MIDI player.  Media Player is just too finicky, contrary, and unreliable for my patience.  Why spend countless hours trying to figure out what is wrong with it, most likely to no avail, when I can just download something better and be up and running in a few minutes.

To save yourself any further needless frustration and wasting of precious time, I strongly recommend checking out the two links that Gary (happyrat1) listed above.  If those do not help you, do a Bing search on "free MIDI file players", if that is all you want - a simple player, or search on "free DAW software" if you want to do PC based editing.  I recommend the DAW software.  If you do go after DAW software, make sure it will handle MIDI.  Some DAW software is audio only. 

Best of luck !

Hello tnicoson,

what I am looking for is a way of  making my music play from my computer to my casio lk230 lighted piano keyboard...I have downloaded some songs that are in the midi sequence format and I would like to learn to play them...you mentioned winamp which I have used in the past...not sure if that would do it or not...the fellow on the video that I included in my original posting used media player...so I figured it should work for me as well...but doesn't... 

Woody

I am hoping that you do not give up on this and check back in to see this.  If you tried MIDI OX and could not get it to work, I couldn't either.  The MIDI OX port manager itself would see my keyboards just fine, but even though I would select the keyboard, the MIDI-BAR player would still just play to the MS Wavetable Synth.  You asked about WinAmp.  For MIDI files, I have the same problem with it as I do with Media Player, so I use it and Real Player just for audio and video files, not for MIDI files.

Because you and I seem to have similar problems on what will NOT work, I figured if I could find something that DID work, it would probably work for you as well, so I went poking around on the web and came up with something.  It is called vanBasco's Karoke Player, but don't let the name fool you.  It is a MIDI file Karoke player, NOT an AUDIO file Karoke player.  Yes, it has a lyrics screen, but you can turn that off.  The basic front panel screen is quite small (similar to WinAmp) and takes very little space on the desktop while it is running.  I owe you a debt of gratitude on this one.  I have finally found my default MIDI file player.  It will play to any MIDI instrument I have (even the MS Wavetable Synth) without having to load a full blown DAW when I just want to play some music in the background.

vanBasco's wares are highly thought of by the folks on the UK Yamaha Arranger forums, so you can feel safe downloading them.  If you do decide to try it, its install program is highly respectful of your security and will not challenge it, so you will probably have to run the install as an "administrator", or the install will abort.  The first time you run it, click on the little musical note in the upper left corner to bring up the setup menu.  Uncheck any of the accessory windows that you do not want to pop up when the main program opens and then click on setup.  From the MIDI tab, click on the MIDI device down arrow and select your keyboard.  If you do not see your keyboard listed here, then I would say you need to go to the Casio support site and download and install their high-level USB-MIDI drivers (if you have not already done so).  If you set it as your default MIDI file player, all you need to do is click on any MIDI file in Windows Explorer and it will load and play, but you can also create playlists of MIDI files, just like an MP3 player, with all the normal playlist options.

You can find the Karoke Player and Casio drivers here:

http://www.vanbasco.com/

http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20

Make sure you chose the correct drivers for your system (32 or 64 bit).

Best of luck !

hello all...

what I am trying to do is...play my tunes (midi files) from my computer (Acer),running windows 7, 64bit....to my LK230 Lighted Keyboard, through Windows Media Player....the video which I included in my original post shows a guy that has the same keyboard, using Windows Media Player to his keyboard...which is what I am trying to do...I guess I am not doing something right...as usual...I'm not that computer savy...I really don't need another on screen midi player...I have 2 now...(which don't do what I would like)...1) Virtual Midi Piano Keyboard....2) Midi Sheet Music...

it says....SPEAKERS....my computer does recognize the keyboard...else my MuseScore wouldn't work...it does...I can input from the keyboard to the computer (MuseScore)...I can play what I input from the keyboard on the  computer...I can download music from the internet and play it on MuseScore...but what I would like to do is play that music from the computer to the keyboard...

If you can play into MuseScore then it will output to your Casio as well.  First, you'll need to tell the program to use your Casio for it's midi output.  

Here's how.

At the MuseScore menu bar, click on edit.   At the bottom of the drop down menu click on preferences>then click on the I/O tab.  Look for "Choose Port midi input interface" and click on the drop down menu.  Casio USB should be in the list if everything is working correctly.  Click on Casio USB in the list and then it should work.  If Casio is not in the list then your computer is not recognizing the keyboard as a midi output device

Hello Brad....

I did a check as you suggested and Casio is listed in the device manager...says it is working properly...then I went to MuseScore and did what you suggested...and it still will not play my music from computer to keyboard...music will not play from WMP to keyboard

Well...WMP is troublesome to get to do that.  I personally have not had luck in doing that and gave up.    Also, you do realize this is now outside of Casio territory and into pc software issues.   I am stretching my knowledge to help you on this.  Do you have MIDI OX installed?  If I stick with software that I know about then the chance of me successfully helping you is better.  This is why I ask for MIDI OX.