Video Files on Forum ×

px-780 as midi controler

billd

Well since no one else has replied I guess I'll ask another question.  I guess it was a stupid question anyway.  Since then I have tried Pianoteq trial version and the px-780 works fine as a midi controller for that.  However I am listening to it through my computer speakers.  My question is can I hook it up in a way to have the sound come out of the on board speakers?  That is just the Pianoteq sounds not any of the onboard sounds. 

Bill

Thanks Scott - Yes I also got some info on another forum, and made the hook up.  Now I'm giving the trial version of Pianoteq a spin.  I still don't know.  My first impression is that I like the playability but not sure on the sound quality, but there is so much adjustability I'm not sure yet.

Bill

• 1 year later...

Hi, Bill.  I was looking to buy the 780 and had the same question you had.  As always, Google searches never seem to pan out for me and it has taken me days to get lucky and find this forum and thread.

I want to learn piano.  I know nothing about midi, but I also wanted to noodle around with the ease of digital multi tracking using Garageband on my iMac (not iPad).  Is it true that I could not do this with the 750, but would have to step up to the 780 so that I could get the MIDI IN and OUT jacks the the 750 lacks?

I want to be able to lay tracks using the keyboard as a controller alongside tracks from my own guitars as well as vocals.   I know they both also offer the USB connectivity to the iOS devices, but as I understand it wouldn't meet the needs of a "controller" in the home studio sense of the word.

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_%26_Keyboards/Privia_Digital_Pianos/PX-750BK/content/Technical_Specs/

According to this page, the PX-750 as USB MIDI. Therefore, you can easily use a USB cable (printer type with the square connector on one end and flat connector on the other) to connect the 750 to your Mac, and thus control GarageBand. You don't need (5-pin DIN) MIDI jacks on the keyboard at all. Those are useful to control other MIDI devices such as other keyboards or rack modules. The 750 has what it takes to get notes into GB and play the software instruments included.

In order to get guitars and vocals in, you will need another device. You could use the iMac's built-in mic, but that is far from the best way to capture the sounds. That's a whole 'nother discussion but we can have it if you describe what you want to do (record acoustic guitars or electric, use your own amps or the amp sims in GB, etc.).

I'm looking forward to hearing what you do. :)

Thanks the reply, Joe.

After reading recent comments in the "Setting up the PX 350…" thread, I am just going to buy a separate dedicated controller.  While what you say may be true, it appears to be quite an undertaking if it can be done.  I know nothing, so I'm in no position to take it on.   

I may end up with the 750 to learn piano on later, but now that I've decided to buy a dedicated controller, I'll put that off until I've had time to play with the controller first.  Maybe I'll get one when our Memorial Day sales hit in the US.