Video Files on Forum ×

Adding tones to wk7500

Thank you for your prompt reply. The Roland has a MIDI out but the WK does not have a MIDI connection. How an they be connected? Would the WK then control the Roland? I'm sorry, I'm kinda ignorant as to what it is all about. Any info is greatly appreciated.

The WK has MIDI via USB.. you just need a box to bridge the USB MIDI and the Roland's standard MIDI. I think the iConnect MIDI2 box would work.. lemme do some digging.  :)

Yes I do want to try it. Of course that depends on if I can figure out how to use it! I can be somewhat technology-challenged! I have it hooked up right now and am going to try downloading some of the files on this site.

BTW, there are files here for download. Are those files that can be played on the 7500? Should they be saved in the Data Manager for playback?

OK - you need audio interface like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDISport2AE?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CMLlheGmkLsCFYZi7Aod-G0APA

Basically you would use your computer as a hub for everything. The WK connects to the PC via USB and the Roland plugs into the audio interface via standard MIDI.. then the audio interface connects to the computer via another USB port. You will need some software to route everything. As you can see - this can get real tricky real fast: you are dealing with equipment from several different manufactures. 

This box is due to be released soon and may be a little easier to work with:
http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI4plus

• 1 month later...

I've been toying with patching a second keyboard ( Like a  Roland, or in my case a CTK900) into the microphone input on the WK7500.  You can only record to the SD Card but that might give you some options for getting access to sounds from other devices. 

WK7500

CTK900

Hammond 143

Leslie 145

Josh

If you are coming from the LINE OUT jacks of another keyboard, you would want to patch those to the INST IN (INSTRUMENT IN) jack on the WK-7500.  If you patch those to the MIC IN jack on the WK-7500, you would have an enormous level and impedance mismatch and may have problems controlling distortion.  The MIC IN is pretty sensitive compared to the INST IN.  This is even more critical if you are coming from the PHONES jack of the other instrument.  There is still a level and impedance problem with a PHONES - INST IN patch, but at least, you can control distortion if you keep the level out of the driving instrument down to a reasonable level.  Like the MIC IN, the INST IN is mono.  On most keyboards with L & R LINE OUTS, if you connect only to the L LINE OUT jack, it will give you a combined mono signal, so no adapter would be necessary.  Just patch from LINE OUT L to INST IN, but if you have a keyboard that only outputs the individual left and right signals from the L & R LINE OUTS, then you would need a stereo-to-mono Y-adapter cable to get both the left and right channel signals into the INST IN jack on the WK-7500.  On the keyboards that automatically convert, the LINE OUT jacks will normally be labeled "L / MONO  R", but when in doubt, check the owner's manual.

Of course, the AUDIO IN jack on the WK-7500 is stereo, but you can not record anything connected to it.

Good luck !

Ted,

On my Casio  CTK900, it has only one output jack other than the dedicated Midi DIN 5 pin plugs. It's a headphones/output stereo jack. This was plugged into the other amps on stage. You'd think that it would do nuclear overdriving that way, but it worked well. No distortion or over drive even when pushed hard.

If someone doesn't have that kind of output on their keyboard, any car audio store sells line level to low level adapters cheap. I haven't tried the setup yet but doesn't the WK7500 mic in get recorded to the SD Card?

I do know about impedance, but over the years largely ignored it. Oh some mic's may be a whole lot softer or louder depending on the impedance match.

My reasoning for this setup is the CTK900 will take any WAV sample file and you can make it into a playable user tone. The WK7500 doesn't support "outside" user tones, only internally edited or modified tones. This setup just might help get a sound into the mix. Just can't save it on the WK7500.

So, do you sell or throw that old keyboard away just yet...???

Josh

WK7500

CTK900

Hammond 143

Leslie 145

Josh

If you use the INST IN on the WK-7500 you should not have a level problem at all and should not need a level adapter as it is LINE level.  Anything connected there can be recorded to the SD Card the same as the MIC IN jack.  The INST IN was really provided for connecting a guitar.  And as for your last question - I never throw anything out.  You never know when you might have a use for it.  I still have my Yamaha PSS-480 with its little mini keys that got me started in this business to begin with.  No !  I would not get rid of the CTK-900.  Connect it to the 7500 and put it to some more good use.

Good luck !

Ted,

I don't know if the INST IN on the WK7500 is a stereo input.    I do have an old headphone 2 way 1/4" splitter.    I do have some old guitar cords to play around with.   If this works like I hope, I'll need to get a keyboard rack system to take when playing out.

Josh

Josh

If you are coming from the LINE OUT jacks of another keyboard, you would want to patch those to the INST IN (INSTRUMENT IN) jack on the WK-7500.  If you patch those to the MIC IN jack on the WK-7500, you would have an enormous level and impedance mismatch and may have problems controlling distortion.  The MIC IN is pretty sensitive compared to the INST IN.  This is even more critical if you are coming from the PHONES jack of the other instrument.  There is still a level and impedance problem with a PHONES - INST IN patch, but at least, you can control distortion if you keep the level out of the driving instrument down to a reasonable level.  Like the MIC IN, the INST IN is mono.  On most keyboards with L & R LINE OUTS, if you connect only to the L LINE OUT jack, it will give you a combined mono signal, so no adapter would be necessary.  Just patch from LINE OUT L to INST IN, but if you have a keyboard that only outputs the individual left and right signals from the L & R LINE OUTS, then you would need a stereo-to-mono Y-adapter cable to get both the left and right channel signals into the INST IN jack on the WK-7500.  On the keyboards that automatically convert, the LINE OUT jacks will normally be labeled "L / MONO  R", but when in doubt, check the owner's manual.

Of course, the AUDIO IN jack on the WK-7500 is stereo, but you can not record anything connected to it.

Good luck !

Ted

I read up in the manual about the inputs on the WK7500.    You're correct on all being mono with that one exception.   If playing a gig, mono is not a big deal.  My keyboard amp is only mono but I can pipe both channels into the two inputs on the amp.    Just need to see how much signal is lost not having both channels being input to the WK7500 unless I combine them before plugging in.   I'm going to round up some cords and try out the connections and see how it sounds.   I'll post the results.   

Josh

WK7500

CTK900

Hammond A143

Leslie 145

Hooked up the CTK 900  Casio keyboard  to the WK7500.   First combined the L-R outputs to the mono MIC IN.   If you have the MIC volume control all the way down it was OK.  I think the MIC input performs clipping if the sound spikes.     Next moved over to the INST IN.  The keyboard lost all the stereo effects and sounded flat.   That sound goes through the mixer and it does mix into the SD card recording.   Lastly just ran the 2nd keyboard into the stereo input on the WK7500.    This sounded the best and you could play both keyboards with both sounding good.   Output of the Stereo input is included in a recording on the SD Card. 

Results:  Unless you have some specific sounds or reasons to add on a keyboard that you need in your SD Card recording there is little or no benefit to hooking all this up.   It would give you the opportunity to play your sounds that you are looking for but they cannot be added and stored in the WK7500.

Josh

WK 7500

CTK 900

Hammond A143

Leslie 145