Video Files on Forum ×

Velocity switching?

XW-Addict

No one answered. So...

Both the G1 and P1 can velocity switch between drum instruments in a drum set (and likely do this already in the presets).  But for the G1 that's the extent of user control over velocity switching.  As you know various PCM melody tones in both models automatically switch between different waves depending on velocity but there's no user control over that at all.

No one answered. So...

Both the G1 and P1 can velocity switch between drum instruments in a drum set (and likely do this already in the presets).  But for the G1 that's the extent of user control over velocity switching.  As you know various PCM melody tones in both models automatically switch between different waves depending on velocity but there's no user control over that at all.

Aah to bad so it means the tones are fixed velocity's. Its odd cause I though tone 334 StringSpacePad as one of a few has some after touch in the velocity if i'm saying this correct. So it also cant be done in the layers of the G1?.

Aah to bad so it means the tones are fixed velocity's. Its odd cause I though tone 334 StringSpacePad as one of a few has some after touch in the velocity if i'm saying this correct. So it also cant be done in the layers of the G1?.

I don't think you are saying it correct- the keyboard itself has no aftertouch.

"Layers", and by this I think you really mean "Zones" (if you don't use Casio's terminology we'll all get confused) don't offer velocity switching, which means to automatically switch from one sound to another based on how hard you play a key.

Re aftertouch, this makes a change to the sound when you press down harder AFTER hitting the key (after...touch). Try all you like it won't make any difference to any of the sounds on the P1 or G1.

Actually on my XW-P1 both the Hex Layers and the Drawbar Organ as well as the PCM patches DO respond to aftertouch when I use my PC3K8 as an external controller so the Casio engineers had the forethought to build that capability into the kebyoard. 

I didn't notice any modulation in the Synth sounds when I tried but I'd imagine that the aftertouch parameter could also be programmed into those patches as well.

Gary

Yes, but I was simply pointing out that aftertouch WAS included in the XW's MIDI implementation and theoretically could be used with the XW's soundset.  The way you phrased it it seemed as though the XW was not capable of aftertouch at all in any way, shape or form. ;)

• Like 1

Actually on my XW-P1 both the Hex Layers and the Drawbar Organ as well as the PCM patches DO respond to aftertouch when I use my PC3K8 as an external controller so the Casio engineers had the forethought to build that capability into the kebyoard. 

I didn't notice any modulation in the Synth sounds when I tried but I'd imagine that the aftertouch parameter could also be programmed into those patches as well.

Gary

So how do I do that with the G1 using layers.

In general terms you need a controller with aftertouch and then assign the aftertouch to control whatever parameter you'd like on the G1, assuming whichever parameters it allows to be assigned.

On the P1 it generally defaults to Modulation, but I dunno if aftertouch modulation is an editable parameter on the P1 or G1 or not.

You'll have to dig into the Data Editor program to see if it's listed anywhere as adjustable.

Gary