PX-330 hooking up to external audio equipment

Joe Garfield

I have been playing my PX-330 through my home stereo using the 1/8" headphone jacks. When I hook up to the Line Out jacks, I get a disconnected (delayed) sound, a little echo and a significant reduction in volume. Plugging in the headphone jack helps with volume but there is still the delayed, thin sound.

I used a set of RCA cables, each side (red/white) into a Y-splitter (two separate splitters). The splitters are 1/8" stereo to RCA. The 1/8" stereo is inserted in a mono 1/4" adapter, so should have same signal at each output. I am careful about R/L output at board and R/L input to stereo.

I believe the jacks in the keyboard are NOT balanced.

Basically, the Line Out is useless with degraded sound and some sort of delay. What could this be?

The reason I ask is that I am interested in getting powered monitors and would like to utilize the 1/4" jacks.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was just about to follow up on this - I went out and picked up a pair of 1/4" mono male to phono female plugs, just to ensure it was not a wiring issue. It was not.

I do have my stereo set to "2ch" which I would have thought would eliminate any processing, but maybe that isn't the case. 2CH is a separate hard button from the surround/alternate input controls, and the only parameters I can edit on 2CH are bass and treble. It is a decent Sony receiver from the 90's and a nice pair of Polk speakers. 

What I don't get is why there is no latency when I use the headphone jack??

Anyway the plan is to get monitors, I just wanted to make sure everything is working right. I just got this unit, it came used from Guitar Center. I got a sweet deal on it and it seems to be in very good shape. Of course the 30 day trial just ended, so I hope I will really get into it. I am new to piano (taking lessons as well as theory class) so this rig makes a lot of sense for me. However I am stupidly spoiled and can't stop thinking about at $1700 machine. It is pretty amazing that you have to spend double the money (new) to get slightly better piano sound and the next step up in key action.

On a related note, I went to GC the other day to sample monitors. I ended up choosing the JBL 305's. I looked at the 5" Mackie and the 5" and 6" Rokits, 5" Yamaha, and heard for giggles the M-Audio and some other cheaper brand. I also heard the sales guy's favorite monitors, a 8" or 10" set of Adams. They sounded great, and I felt they sounded the most like the JBL. All the other brands sounded warm, the JBL sounded clear. I could hear some different tones in the piano samples I had them play, definitely more definition than the other speakers.

Hopefully the clarity won't make the piano sound worse! I am hoping it will sound a little less 'electronic'. I am unfortunately too picky for my own budget and good.