Video Files on Forum ×

A few questions about MIDI

Joe Garfield

If I were to run an iPad MIDI App (iGrand) would there be any kind of delay, or would it feel/sound as if I were playing the instrument in real time?

Is it possible to use the PX330 as a MIDI controller to control itself? I am wondering if I could tweak the MIDI settings to alter the sounds of the piano (basically wanting to enhance the grand piano sound with MIDI settings, decay/linear morphing or something).

I have not yet started to mess with MIDI but have been thinking about ways to add (via MIDI device) or edit sounds.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I don't have an iPad so I can't help there but I've read that there are no "latency" issues-meaning the iPad will respond immediately to your playing using the piano samples in the iPad. (if that's what this program does).

As far as the other-any time you connect a midi in to a midi out on the same instrument, you might set up a midi "loop"-which will crash most midi equipment but I'm not sure the PX will. If the 330 has a midi setting called "local on/off" this will avoid the midi loop problem-local off disconnects the keyboard from itself and only sends midi data out the midi port-so then you could bring that signal back into the PX with a midi cable and it "should" play the tone generator in the PX, if the local on/off function works as it should. This also gives you the ability to alter the signal going back in. If you keep local on, if it doesn't crash your stuff, you will hear a midi "echo" which some keyboard players used as an effect before there were DSP echo effects built-in.

I saw no-one responded to this post for awhile I figured I'd give it a shot, hope I helped.