Video Files on Forum ×

DAW records two stacked MIDI notes for each note recorded?

barneykeys

Howdy Scott,

I'm just using 0-0 setting when it's fired up. I'm not using the internal sounds of the PX5s but triggering the Garritan Orchestra soft synth in ProTools. It always records with a 32nd/64th note on top of the note played. Wacky. Any thoughts?

Thank for responding. Take care.

Hey Scott, thank you so much. I had tried that thinking the same thing. And also like you that was my "one guess". Great minds think alike! But in case you have any additional thoughts... keep me posted.

Has any one else around here seen or edited recorded MIDI data with the PX5s? I purchased this as a master controller for MIDI input in a studio because of the awesome assignable knobs and sliders.... but it's not behaving the way we intended when recording MIDI data. Everything's fine when recording from PX-350 and other gear. 

Thanks again Scott.

Hey Scott...

Alas, I am a monkey. I downloaded Reaper and as I was setting it up.... it hit me! I'm using a MIDI interface (Fastrack c600) with ProTools... BUT, I also had plugged in the USB cable into the computer because we use the PX5s editor. Protools must have been getting MIDI data from both and not liking it! When I unplugged usb cable from the back of PX5s, the MIDI outs of the PX5s recorded as they should. I'm wondering now if there is a way to leave both the MIDI cables for recording and the USB cable for editing in the studio. Either way, I can't tell you enough how I appreciate your assistance Scott and your suggestions. It was when, at your suggestion, I was installing Reaper and it asked me to setup connections that it hit me. So you were a great help! I appreciate your time and efforts. And although folks are saying the PX5s is the best "under $2000" piano/controller/synth....  around here, we're starting to think it can't be beat at any price! Love that thing. 

You take good care sir.

Billy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Argh. I'm having the "doubled up" notes again when recording midi data. No USB hooked up, just using MIDI out into interface with Protools. Other keyboards are working fine with this setup. But the PX5S is recording two notes for everyone... a staccato note on top of the note held. Quite a problem since we purchased the PX5S as a master controller because of the assignable switches/knobs for the studio. Any other thoughts round here? Thanks for the help. 

Check for a loop back, sort of thing.  If the input from the PX-5s is generating an output from pro tools back to the px-5s, you might be getting feedback. Depending on the midi setup, another keyboard could be doing the same thing.  Make very sure your flow (in out thru) are correct.  Also check for transmission on multiple channels.

Use an elimination method to track down the problem.  For example, start by only having the px-5s hooked up to pro tools.  Next make sure that the Px-5s is only set for output on midi (and usb is off if you are not using it).  In pro tools, make sure the only midi device in is the Px-5s; make sure the midi device out is NOT the px-5s - use either a software synth, your sound card, etc.  Transmit and receive on only 1 channel.  If you have midi-ox or something like that, you can see he actual note on note off events  and that will give you an idea of what is being sent when you press a key on the Px-5s.

So once you get the behavior you want, start including more options until the error occurs again - hopefully it doesn't.  Throughout all of this, make sure the hi-res mode is off on the Px-5s.

Hi Choppin... Thanks for the input on this. We're just using one cord: the PX5S MIDI out going into Fastrack C600 interface. Grab the same MIDI cable and plug into any other keyboard and there isn't a problem.  I think I've now gone through almost all MIDI settings in PX5S to no avail. Thanks for the MIDI-ox suggestion... The PX5S is sending "two notes on" and "two notes off" commands for every note.

Here's what I get when I hit one note with a single MIDI out cable connected to the PX5S.

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT               
 000278FC   1  --     90    34    52    1  E  3 Note On               
 000278FD   1  --     91    34    52    2  E  3 Note On               
 0002849A   1  --     80    34    6C    1  E  3 Note Off              
 0002849B   1  --     81    34    6C    2  E  3 Note Off              

I'm about to go bonkers and have put in a word to the Casio folks in case they can help.

Thank you for any additional thoughts on it all.

Saw this thread tagged in another thread and I thought I'd jump in.

Check if MIDI Local Control is set to OFF.

Cakewalk turns it off on the XW-P1 by default.  You have to have this turned off on some keyboards when using a sequencer or else you get the double note thing.

Gary

@barneykeys

according to your midi ox display you are transmitting on channel 1 and 2 simultaneously.  your daw probably receiving everything coming in and putting it on the same track.  the stage setting you are using is transmitting on multiple zones at once.  Press edit and select stage setting.  Find midi out for midi and usb for the zones you don't wish to transmit midi data for and turn them off.  That will keep the sound of the zone, but eliminate the midi message being sent

check your daw,  make sure it receives only 1 channel per track or some similar setting.  Or, you only receive messages from channel 1 or whatever.

NOTE:  If you set 2 or mores zones to the same channel, not actually turning the midi out for them off, you will still be transmitting multiple midi messages on that one channel.  If you pressed the E key, then you will transmit up to 4 Key On E messages at once.  If you only want to send one set of messages, turn off the midi out for the extra zones.

• Like 1

Hi Choppin and HappyRat...

I appreciate your taking the time to help me figure this issue out. ...

That's it Choppin! I've turned off MIDI on Zones 2-4 and voila! Your instructions were right on the money and were a great help. Problem solved. 

I gotta run.... I've got a PX5S to play.

Take care folks. Thank you so much.

• Like 1