Problem with firmware update on Mac

MigthyThor

To day I have tried to update the firmware on my XW-P1 that I LOVE - what a instrument  :) .

But I get problems with the update.

I downloaded that who should be the new 1.11 update from 18.12.2013 from Casio support site (see pic0).

post-2346-0-08061100-1387576761_thumb.pn

I turned of my AntiVirus software before I start downloading and followed the instructions one the same page. 

At step 5 in the instructions I get problems: When I "Double-click the update program" I get following error message: "XW-P1 Updater.app" is damaged and can't be opened. It should been moved to the Trash Bin (see pict1 - its in Swedish).

post-2346-0-64026500-1387576762_thumb.pn

When I open the info panel for the XW-P1 Updater.app in Finder, it says that the file is last changed the 28 may 2012 (see pic2).

post-2346-0-32004000-1387576764_thumb.pn

Is this really the newest firmware of this file?

I restarted my Mac and XW-P1 and have tried 5 more times before I write this Topic.

What is wrong?

Is there someone that can help me?

Thanks in advance

/MigthyThor

Thanks for your feedback - I agree thats safest to wait for more respons about the Firmware Update.

And it looks like "The XW is perfectly fine without the update" as you say, there is no hurry too update - "Better safe than sorry".

Merry Christmas too you all.

/MigthyThor

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I found the motherlode-I went to the Casio main offices and repair facilities in Dover, NJ. I was on the way to my surgeon so I did not go in (a bigger priority for now) but it is literally down the road, I live in nearby Milford, PA (within driving distance of the Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth for you string fans). Here's my plan......I will go there again (when I'm off crutches-soon) politely get in their face, and make a big deal out of this. I'm not afraid to express myself and I've had customer service and sales training years back which "might" help. I will try to impress upon them the importance of having good PR about addressing this vulnerability. It may be a minor problem for me, but repeat it possibly 100s or 1000s of times (where else but this forum has this vulnerability been clarified....by me....and I proceeded with caution) and much ill will can be avoided. I'm not so off-put by firmware with potential bugs which is nothing new as I am by its completely disabling the instrument with no user-based solution other than restoring the entire instrument...if your car needs new tires, do you have to put a new engine in with it?  I'm guessing Casio is so concerned with their OS and code being ripped and reverse-engineered that they are keeping it completely secured in-house and in-chip, an understandable precaution, but they could have come up with a better more well-engineered plan for firmware upgrades and debugging.  Off the subject, I just purchased a PX350, showing my confidence in Casio products and I am very impressed. I will not be trying to upgrade its firmware, even if there is any. I have posted there and noticed some like-minded XW posters there too, so thanks again to everyone here for your knowledgable and helpful posts on the XW. I could see pulling a pretty heavy gig with just these 2 instruments. And at tremendously reduced weight, really sweet.

The repaired XW-G1 update is available on the Casio site.  It now shows it works through Windows 8.1, which is what I just used to update my G1 and everything worked great.  

XW-Addict, where did you see this about the sample looper volume?  

So it's now save to do the update  :mellow: .No wait I'm incorrect it was only wave level indicator for user wave tone's, And the external part volume Its still about version 1.11. I must have shifted in time travelling   :rolleyes:. However I notice a little late  that the G1 Data editor had been updated to 1.2.0.

With all the scare stories of firmware updates frying XW's, I'm extremely wary of doing this myself. I wonder if Casio could perhaps offer a service at their dealers, whereby for a small fee XW owners could take their 'boards in and have the firmware updated by official Casio dealers? Obviously I would expect the dealer/ Casio to take full responsibility if a fully working XW is fried during the update, though if they have a fail-safe/ tried and trusted system then there shouldn't be any concern. I know I would be happy to pay, say, £20 or so for this service knowing that whatever happened I wouldn't be left with a pooched XW...

So it's now save to do the update  :mellow: .No wait I'm incorrect it was only wave level indicator for user wave tone's, And the external part volume Its still about version 1.11. I must have shifted in time travelling   :rolleyes:. However I notice a little late  that the G1 Data editor had been updated to 1.2.0.

I updated the XW-G1 with no trouble.  I was using Windows 8.1.  I had no 3rd party anti-virus installed.  Just using Windows own security features.  

What's in the XW-G1 update.....Here's what the Casio site says:

Version 1.10 >> Version 1.11       • Improved operation of the external part volume.   • Improved certain operation.

What does this mean?  IDK

And the new XW-G1 Data Editor 1.2.0  

They didn't list what has changed in it but I did notice that they added a  "IMPORT Multiple wav files" function for the sample converter. 

Whenever you doing any type of firmware upgrades that involves connecting to a PC or Mac, always connect the USB and make sure the operating system correctly installs the device first before attempting to put the device into any type of update mode. And always disable power modes, screen savers, anti-virus, anti-malware and some times even disabling the firewall completely is a good option. Just remember to turn it all back on once completed. I just did my P1 and yes OSX 10.9 did not allow an update, in all fairness Casio makes no mention of 10.9 support yet but Windows 7 Pro, worked without a hitch.

To Mike Martin-thanks very much for taking an interest. I will let you know when I make the next trip- I take responsibility for "bricking" this. Computers are fraught with problems at times, I blame my OS and antivirus for interrupting the firmware process, not the firmware. Hope I've been some help here in the forums. And thanks for all the product demos. PS-I am blown away by the PX350, sounds real nice, and keyboard action is amazing.

I did the updates within the first few hours after receiving both my P1 and G1 (Mac Mini 2.26 gHz) running Mavericks, with no issues at all. The total update time was about 5 minutes for each synth.

Glad you updated using Mavericks, i had the exact same error messages as the OP so not sure if they possibly updated the APP between my update and yours, glad yours was successful.

• Like 1