using the XWP-1 as a controller?

Luciano Almeida

Use the Settings button, hit enter once then go down to Local Control and turn it off, then hit exit once, then scroll down to MIDI settings, turn everything on that you wish to send to the computer and set the MIDI channel to ALL.

If you wish to send the step sequencer output to MIDI as well, then you'll have to edit each channel and enable in Performance Mode as well.

Merry Xmas,

Gary

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

MIDI IN always connects to MIDI OUT and vice versa.  If you're hooking up multiple machines you hook them up in a daisy chain like a token ring network.  If you want to send to a machine from a different machine than the one connected you hook it to THRU.

Otherwise make sure you are sending on the channel of the one you want to receive and you're good to go.

Gary

Oh I also got issues with Midi. Im trying to midi another synth using my midi ports but im unsure how to connect the midi 'in' 'out'. Im trying to use my G1 as a controller for another synth, so in what order do i connect the ins and outs?

You want to plug the midi cable into the MIDI OUT of the G1 and into the MIDI IN of the synth you want to control.  Also it's not like jumping a dead car battery - you can do it in any order. I usually do it when the synths are turned off, but it's shouldn't be an issue either way. Let me know if you need more help.  :)

Wow that was a quick answer. Thanks both of you. Im sorry but im probably the biggest newb when it comes to midi. Been running from it all my life lol.

I got that right but i dont know what comes next after that, still nothing. I turned off the local control on my G1 but still no sound. Is there something i am missing or doing wrong?

You've got to go to the MIDI output settings in the MIDI menu of the settings page and enable MIDI out settings for the XW.  Then you can select channels from the MIDI Mixer in the Performance MODE and after that you're on your own with the manual like the rest of us poor idiots.

It should work by default on Channel One as soon as you enable the MIDI out settings.

Gary

• 3 years later...